Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 01:46 PM

149 posts, read 686,449 times

Advertisements

Well I would guess that if I only need to worry about an overnight snow that I won't even notice in the morning, I would be fine with it. My concern is that I love to be outdoors in the spring, summer, and fall, whether it be hiking, bicycling, playing disc golf, or even swimming. If I'm out hiking in May, for example, I definitely don't want to be hiking through the snow even if it is only 1/2 an inch. Maybe I'm just being too picky...but I'd like to enjoy a nice dry path to bike or hike on, at least from May - Sept, if not from April - Oct. Am I expecting too much from Ft. Collins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 01:58 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deselminator View Post
Well I would guess that if I only need to worry about an overnight snow that I won't even notice in the morning, I would be fine with it. My concern is that I love to be outdoors in the spring, summer, and fall, whether it be hiking, bicycling, playing disc golf, or even swimming. If I'm out hiking in May, for example, I definitely don't want to be hiking through the snow even if it is only 1/2 an inch. Maybe I'm just being too picky...but I'd like to enjoy a nice dry path to bike or hike on, at least from May - Sept, if not from April - Oct. Am I expecting too much from Ft. Collins?
If you haven't yet looked at it, read through this thread for more information, as well:

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...er-thread.html

Old 03-11-2008, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the link suzco. I read through most of it, and it seems that it's just mainly people bickering back and forth about whether or not CO weather sucks or not. There was some good information in there as well, though. I was just surprised to see so much arguing back and forth about that topic. I didn't realize it was such a hot issue I guess.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deselminator View Post
Thanks for the link suzco. I read through most of it, and it seems that it's just mainly people bickering back and forth about whether or not CO weather sucks or not. There was some good information in there as well, though. I was just surprised to see so much arguing back and forth about that topic. I didn't realize it was such a hot issue I guess.
Oh, it's a very hot issue. That is why the thread was started. In July, people started asking about winter, worrying about snow. I guess coming here from somewhere else where it snows, it never bothered me. And I do know how to drive in snow, knew how before I came here. That is what a lot of people worry about.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:21 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
Like OMG!! Snow??!! What do I DO? I cant drive in snow!!!?!? Grow up and deal with it people. It's not that bad, i've been doing it all my life. Just take it easy and slow down.

I remember one year I was in Georgia in FEb and it snowed like 1/2 an inch, and the whole town shut down. It was rediculous. And the people were looking at me like I was insane for driving in it.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:56 AM

Well I can definitely handle driving in snow, after all I have lived in Iowa my whole life so I am quite used to it. It's the fact that I don't want to have to play in the snow all the time that worries me a bit. I want to be able to ride a bike or go hiking in the spring and fall, and I think that snow would inhibit that a bit...or at least it would inhibit my ambition to do so. Part of my reason for wanting to possibly move to CO was to enjoy the outdoors, as I don't feel there is enough decent weather in Iowa for me to be outside as much as I would like to be. If the weather in Ft. Collins, however, makes me want to stay inside in the spring and fall due to the snow, then I would have one less reason to want to move there. While I'm sure I would enjoy the weather in Ft. Collins more than I do the weather here in Coralville, if I'm not going to be able to be outdoors enjoying nice weather at from AT LEAST April - Sept/Oct, then I don't know if it's the right place for me.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:32 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
It may not be, considering you have to prepare your clothing for ANY weather, at ANY time of the year

Old 03-13-2008, 08:58 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
It may not be, considering you have to prepare your clothing for ANY weather, at ANY time of the year
This is true, particularly in the mountains. FC weather is nothing if not constantly changing. On the plains, Memorial Day to Labor Day is probably the most consistent weather -- anywhere between comfortably cool and uncomfortably hot, but every other time of year you have to be prepared for anything. When you go up in the mountains, you REALLY have to go prepared, as up there you can get anything, even in summer: cold, snow, thunderstorms, or bright sun, all in the same day.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:15 PM

Well I definitely would expect to be prepared for changing weather if I was in the mountains...but I also do not want to have to expect the same when I'm not in the mountains, and especially from May - Sept. If I can be comfortable wearing a t-shirt and shorts on a June day at noon, I would certainly hope that I wouldn't need jeans and a jacket at midnight that evening. If this is the case, then the weather may not be for me after all, but I hope that isn't true. I would like to be able to sit outside comfortably in late spring, summer, and early fall in the evenings without the need for jeans and a jacket...and most definitely without the fear of snow that time of year. Am I just over-exaggerating to myself the likelihood of cold temperatures and snow in May, June, Sept & Oct? Or am I merely expressing a realistic concern about the weather? Basically, while I don't expect a perfect climate, I definitely do not want somewhere colder than Iowa, somewhere with more severe winter weather than Iowa, or somewhere which has equally as bad of weather as Iowa but for more of the year. For the most part I think that I WOULD enjoy the weather in Ft. Collins more than Iowa, but then again I'm afraid that the first time I see snow in June I'm going to say, "F this, we're moving!" Realistically, how likely am I to experience a decent snow or several days of cold weather in the months of May - Sept? And by decent I'm not talking about a once every 15-20 year incident, but if we're talking 6 inches of snow or more about every other year in May for example, then I may be looking at the wrong place for us to live after all.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:58 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,165 times
The climate is different from what you've experienced before. The weather patterns are different. There are beautiful, warm days possible any time of year, and there are occasional inclement days year round. To illustrate: in the Front Range, golf is a year round sport; golf courses are open year round; they close for occasional days when weather is bad. Those occasional bad weather days can be any month of the year, but golf courses don't close down for the winter, or for spring, summer, or fall.

Last edited by suzco; 03-13-2008 at 06:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area