U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:28 PM

90,291 posts, read 108,168,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
What kind of hail you get can can be very dependent on exactly where you are at any given time. One small area could get huge hail where everyone else gets tiny pea sized or smaller hail. I've never personally seen baseball sized hail, but I have seen golf-ball sized hail before. If you live in FC you'll likely see some type of hail about once or twice a year or so.
This is true. One of my DD's had a car totaled in a hailstorm (parked at our house), while the other DD was at a barbecue a few miles away and her car wasn't damaged at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davit View Post
I would think FC has a few sub-zero and snowy days; in fact Places Rated Almanac rates the winters worse than Milwaukee's.
Just stirring the pot
They are crazy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 04:13 PM

5 posts, read 11,883 times
I would be curious to know where CSU's wind gauges are located. You can look at forecast and past wind speeds at weather.com. Their current data for Fort Collins says "Wind from NW at 30 mph gusting to 45."

Old 03-30-2009, 04:22 PM

5 posts, read 11,883 times
What I meant to say about the location of CSU's wind gauges was: I wonder where they are in relation to the ground and whether maybe they haven't moved them since some nearby buildings have gone up or something. Maybe it doesn't blow nearly as hard around CSU as it does in the residential neighborhoods on the southwest end of town. Wonder where the Weather Channel (aka weather.com) takes their wind readings in FC, as their data sounds much more accurate.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,467 times
I see a lot on here about winter in Fort Collins, what are the summers like? Is there any humidity? I'm moving there from NJ and would love to get away from the high humidity and temps into the high 90s in July. While looking at house listings I've noticed not a lot of houses have pools so I'm assuming it doesn't get that hot.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:44 PM

169 posts, read 629,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalan View Post
I see a lot on here about winter in Fort Collins, what are the summers like? Is there any humidity? I'm moving there from NJ and would love to get away from the high humidity and temps into the high 90s in July. While looking at house listings I've noticed not a lot of houses have pools so I'm assuming it doesn't get that hot.
Humidity is low so no worries there.

However you will hit the 90s so you are not escaping that unless you move to COSprings (tends to be a bit milder due to elevation) or into the higher elevations of the foothills/mountains. I think that was a run-on sentence

I will say that coming from a highly humid and hot area myself (southern Louisiana) it is a much nicer experience in the summer. Shade works here

Old 04-03-2009, 06:51 AM

2,755 posts, read 12,079,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalan View Post
I think summers are great on the front range (including FC), but some would say it gets uncomfortably hot at times. Every year there are a few days where it hits the high 90s or low 100s. There's a lot of days in the lower 90s.

It's not actually true that there's no humidity at all -- compared to, say, Las Vegas or Phoenix, there's occasional humidity, but by east coast standards there's practically none. In summer we actually do get some passing showers and thunderstorms, but they usually are accompanied by a significant cooling of the weather, so it's fair to say that heat and humidity almost never coincide in Colorado.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:35 AM

169 posts, read 629,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
I think summers are great on the front range (including FC), but some would say it gets uncomfortably hot at times. Every year there are a few days where it hits the high 90s or low 100s. There's a lot of days in the lower 90s.

It's not actually true that there's no humidity at all -- compared to, say, Las Vegas or Phoenix, there's occasional humidity, but by east coast standards there's practically none. In summer we actually do get some passing showers and thunderstorms, but they usually are accompanied by a significant cooling of the weather, so it's fair to say that heat and humidity almost never coincide in Colorado.
tfox is right on the humidity - it isn't a desert. However coming from a highly humid area it sure feels like there is no humidity I never want to experience those southern summers again that is for sure...

Old 06-27-2009, 09:53 AM

10 posts, read 30,705 times
Good to hear about the humiduty. I live in NC right now and it is horribly humid some days. How is the flooding situations in the Ft. Collins, Loveland, etc area. Right now I live in a flood plain and I would like to avoid that in the future.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:04 AM

2,755 posts, read 12,079,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconcidine View Post
Good to hear about the humiduty. I live in NC right now and it is horribly humid some days. How is the flooding situations in the Ft. Collins, Loveland, etc area. Right now I live in a flood plain and I would like to avoid that in the future.
Flash flooding potential exists in both Fort Collins and Loveland. Fort Collins suffered from a flood about 12 years ago in which several people were killed when Spring Creek flooded and nearly washed away a small trailer park (one that should never have existed in that area, in hindsight). It also flooded the basement of the CSU library, destroying a number of books. A number of homeowners I knew got some water in their basements as part of that flood.

If flooding worries you, just pay attention to 100 year and 500 year floodplains and the location of waterways like Spring Creek. In Fort Collins, for example, the intersection of Prospect and Lemay is just north of a low lying area that has been known to flood on occasion.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:04 PM

713 posts, read 1,788,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconcidine View Post
The links to the Fort Collins, and FEMA floodplain maps for Fort Collins are located on this page: Stormwater: City of Fort Collins

Your real estate agent should be able to show you, in the MLS listing, the flood-plain classification. Assuming the listing agent did their research, the listing will be correct. It can be cross-checked by address with the city's floodplain maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area