U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 03:47 PM

7,518 posts, read 17,686,940 times

Advertisements

No matter where in Texas, just don't want to live there. And, obviously Florida isn't a "rodeo" state and the freshwater lakes aren't very deep (already checked that out most lake depths) and the other waterways are either salt or brackish.

IOW, Florida and the southern states just really aren't for us. It's basically taken 9 years to figure that out. We are now thinking that we should have never left Parker, even if that would have meant selling our house and renting an apartment.

It's pretty obvious to us right now that we may have to move to an area that doesn't have totally what we want and liked about Parker. Then again, with the amount that Parker has changed, we probably wouldn't be living there now anyway.

Since we have to rent an apartment, we have to live in an area that has apartment complexes. There is one complex in Loveland, off of Eisenhower Blvd and Wilson that we consider moving into, but other than that one complex, couldn't find a thing.

Ft. Collins is in our thoughts due to the size, with numerous apt. complexes we will have to check out online. Boyd Lake is in Loveland and close by is Horsetooth. Ft. Collins is also sort of "cowboyish". Centennial Livestock Auction is there and so is a nice size country-western nightclub. Heck, there's not even a country-western nightclub in Jacksonville.

We just have to keep looking, even though that means from our apartment computer in Jacksonville. However, and it's a BIG "however", we did move to Englewood, CO in mid 2002, without visiting it and later bought the house in Parker, which is right up the freeway. Wife got a job in accounting after only being in Englewood for less than a month. It took me a year after that. And, after we moved from Colorado, we went to Huntersville, NC without visiting there. Again, wife got a good job there shortly after moving there. So, bottom line is, we really don't have to, and really CAN'T, spend out any more money on "checking out" trips.

If it's not that one apartment complex in Loveland or anywhere in Ft. Collins, we'll just have to keep looking........for an area we'd like, without actually seeing it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 04:09 PM

32 posts, read 39,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Really wonder what the winters are truly like in Ft Collins and even Loveland areas. How cold it can get and how much snow can fall. We were told that Parker winters are much worse than either Loveland or Ft Collins.
In Fort Collins/Loveland, snowfall will be around 55-60" per year. Fort Collins/Loveland will be a little bit colder in the winter months than the Denver area. There will be some days in the winter where Denver metro may be in the 40s or 50s and FC/Loveland can be stuck in the 20s or 30s. It rarely seems to be the other way around outside of a few degrees of variation. Being a little further north, the arctic cold fronts can arrive a little earlier and can take a little longer to leave than they do in Denver. Also, the average lows in the winter will be a little colder in Loveland; 14° vs 18° in Denver metro. I think of FC/Loveland weather as a mix between Denver and Cheyenne, which makes sense given its location.

For December, January and February:

Fort Collins - Average Daily High of 41°
Highs above 49° - 29%
Highs 40-49° - 27%
Highs 30-39° - 26%
Highs 20-29° - 10%
Highs 0-19° - 8%

Denver Metro (Littleton) - Average Daily High of 44°
Highs above 49° - 37%
Highs 40-49° - 28%
Highs 30-39° - 20%
Highs 20-29° - 10%
Highs 0-19° - 5%

Source:
https://www.wunderground.com/history/

As far as how cold it can get in FC/Loveland, expect it to be about the same as Denver metro. Occasional days where the highs struggle to get above 0° with occasional lows around -10° to -20°.

I would suspect that Parker would get a little bit more snow than FC/Loveland due to it's elevation. However, both areas can get snow storms that miss the other area.

If winter is a concern based on your experience living in Parker, I don't think you would find it to be much different in FC/Loveland.

Last edited by hiapr; 07-27-2018 at 05:34 PM..

Old 07-27-2018, 04:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,175 posts, read 45,329,414 times
Winter becomes less of an issue when you are retired (you can hibernate and plan your days out during the 80% clear days)

Greater Risk is of falling (so do not get an entry door / garage / parking lot on the shaded side (north and east for CO))

My 30 yrs near Loveland found that the micro climate on the west / sw of town is slightly more sheltered than Ft Collins, (I worked / schooled there daily) / (tho more wind if directly at the foot of the hills (west of Devil's Backbone))

There are a lot of clear / sunny winter days for walking / getting out. Snow / bitter cold is the exception.

It is very BROWN in winter... (trees, yards, landscape, air)

Old 08-01-2018, 12:31 PM

We fly back into Jacksonville Saturday evening and as soon as we walked out of the airport, the humidity hit us big time, like……..WOW!!

Our Durango was in a long-term parking lot that we had to take a shuttle to from the airport. We wanted to get on the road as quickly as possible. The northside of Jacksonville is not known to be the safest. But, we made it home. Thing was, as soon as we got into the Durango, my wife started coughing pretty bad, but got over it. She blamed it on the air of Jacksonville. Heck, the entire time we were in Colorado and Cheyenne, she didn't cough at all.

And, of course, we were the only ones at JIA, departing and arriving, wearing Wrangler jeans and cowboy hats. Seen a couple of cowboy hats at DIA. Thought we'd see more due to rough-stock riders and/or fans flying in for CFD. I did read that some of the CFD contestants were a little upset, because there is no major airlines in Cheyenne.

So, on Sunday, after a short discussion, we both decided that northern Colorado, even with the winter months, would still be better than Jacksonville or any part of Florida.

As she went to work this morning, she said to me, "can't wait to leave here". A good thing now, yesterday we added on the Sports Entertainment Package to our Comcast/Xfinity cable. We now get the Outdoor HD channel, which has bow-hunting (elk, mule deer and white-tail) and some rodeo action. Also bought a Roku Streaming Stick where we can get the Wrangler Network that shows lots of rodeo action.

We did find one apartment in Loveland that was nice, but I now have the FC/Coloradoan app to look at apartments there. Many more there than in Loveland.

As far as Boyd Lake goes, with the time we generally get to a lake (9AM or so), doubt we'll have to much of a problem with crowds. It's getting off of the lake at noon, when a lot of folks are launching, is when we might have to wait around to take the boat out.

Any other info anyone wants to add, about Loveland or FC, would be appreciated. For us, it's a "no brainer", that the area is pretty much for us.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:48 PM

6,811 posts, read 3,354,745 times
Well then, by all means, move. Hopefully the complaining will end, and not be transferred here.

Just a week ago though, you said this area wasn't for you (your conclusion at the bottom of post #89). That's 180 degrees opposite of what you just said above (your conclusion at the end of post #104). Not sure what's going on, but we're not interested in being jerked around.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-01-2018 at 01:03 PM..

Old 08-01-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Well then, by all means, move. Hopefully the complaining will end, and not be transferred here.

Just a week ago though, you said this area wasn't for you (at the bottom of post #89). That's 180 degrees opposite of what you just said above (the end of post #104). Not sure what's going on, but we're not interested in being jerked around.
Well...…...we did complain about Loveland, but after thinking about it, the area is still better than here, but FC, to us, is somewhat better than Loveland and both are definitely BETTER than Jacksonville, to us anyway. We did see things that we could compare to here, but all-in-all, Loveland and FC is much better than Jacksonville, for us. Going south on the I-25, from Loveland or FC, a person can see field after field of corn and even some cattle...…….nothing like that along the 95 here.

Thing is, on the Florida forum, I've seen people move to here, or somewhere else in Florida, and found out they made a mistake in doing that. We made a mistake in leaving Colorado. We don't want to "jerk around" anyone, but just because someone does move to an area they believe to be perfect for them, once living there, it might not be so "perfect". Obviously, a visit can be different than actually living in a place people can think is perfect.

All we know is what we miss about living on the Front Range and definitely don't have here.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:27 PM

3,705 posts, read 2,956,197 times
Maybe look a bit further east at Windsor, Milliken, or maybe even towards Greeley. Greeley may have a bit more cowtown feel to it than Loveland and Ft Collins since Swift Meat Packing is one of the largest employers there. Its also home to several largish energy companies and the University of Northern CO. Healthcare access is reasonbly good and the Greeley Stampede is as good a County Fair as any, and better than some.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Maybe look a bit further east at Windsor, Milliken, or maybe even towards Greeley. Greeley may have a bit more cowtown feel to it than Loveland and Ft Collins since Swift Meat Packing is one of the largest employers there. Its also home to several largish energy companies and the University of Northern CO. Healthcare access is reasonbly good and the Greeley Stampede is as good a County Fair as any, and better than some.
Greeley has too much crime. Much more than either Loveland or FC. Went to the Greeley 4th of July Parade as well as the rodeo, when we lived in Parker. No power boating lakes near Greeley either.

We weren’t looking for a “cowtown”, just an area similar to Parker, which we think Loveland and FC is. They are somewhat bigger, but still similar.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:32 AM

7,842 posts, read 2,503,603 times
LoveBoating, it seems like you're unsure. I didn't think FC/Loveland would be what you expected and now we know.

I might look at NW Arkansas, around Roanoke, VA or some parts of North Carolina. Less crowded, milder winters, plenty of lakes and still plenty of open space but not necessarily a western rodeo scene.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
LoveBoating, it seems like you're unsure. I didn't think FC/Loveland would be what you expected and now we know.

I might look at NW Arkansas, around Roanoke, VA or some parts of North Carolina. Less crowded, milder winters, plenty of lakes and still plenty of open space but not necessarily a western rodeo scene.
Well, after being in both, and doing some reconsidering, we really think either would fit us. Right now, my wife doesn't want to live in any part of the South or East Coast. We lived in North Carolina and she didn't like it. Lived right down the street from Lake Norman, but with a nuclear power plant at the one end, she told me "that's out, period".

We have to have the "rodeo scene", since I spent years in PRCA. The HOF induction is this Saturday and we hope to watch it "Live" thru streaming. Wife told me "wish we could be there". We use to be members of the HOF when we lived in both Englewood and Parker and made it a point in attending the World Champion Inductions in January and the HOF Inductions in August. I'm no longer with PRCA, or roping, but we are both MAJOR fans of the sport. We just added the Wrangler Network to our Roku, as well as the CBS Sports Network and Outdoor Network to our cable subscription. Yes, we are definitely fans of the sport.

I've said this before, and will say it again...…..we are NOT looking for a "Cowtown" area to live and we know Loveland isn't that, but they do have a yearly rodeo at the Bud Center starting this weekend. Boyd Lake is nice and would love to put our cuddy cabin on it for some fishing/cruising around. Loveland also has The Boot Grill on Clydesdale Pkwy. in Loveland, if we got the urge to dawn our western attire for a Friday or Saturday night out. And, as already mentioned also, FC has the Sundance Steahhouse & Saloon. Plenty of western wear/cowboy hats in there, when we were there. Now, what both Loveland and FC have, Jacksonville definitely doesn't. Please re-read the word "doesn't".

And, obviously, people have to live in an area to really, really get the "realistic" feel for it. Visiting is great, but living there is another thing. IOW, we really think, NO....will use the word "know", that we could live there, but have to live there first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area