U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 12:14 PM

7,842 posts, read 2,519,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, after being in both, and doing some reconsidering, we really think either would fit us. Right now, my wife doesn't want to live in any part of the South or East Coast. We lived in North Carolina and she didn't like it. Lived right down the street from Lake Norman, but with a nuclear power plant at the one end, she told me "that's out, period".

We have to have the "rodeo scene", since I spent years in PRCA. The HOF induction is this Saturday and we hope to watch it "Live" thru streaming. Wife told me "wish we could be there". We use to be members of the HOF when we lived in both Englewood and Parker and made it a point in attending the World Champion Inductions in January and the HOF Inductions in August. I'm no longer with PRCA, or roping, but we are both MAJOR fans of the sport. We just added the Wrangler Network to our Roku, as well as the CBS Sports Network and Outdoor Network to our cable subscription. Yes, we are definitely fans of the sport.

I've said this before, and will say it again...…..we are NOT looking for a "Cowtown" area to live and we know Loveland isn't that, but they do have a yearly rodeo at the Bud Center starting this weekend. Boyd Lake is nice and would love to put our cuddy cabin on it for some fishing/cruising around. Loveland also has The Boot Grill on Clydesdale Pkwy. in Loveland, if we got the urge to dawn our western attire for a Friday or Saturday night out. And, as already mentioned also, FC has the Sundance Steahhouse & Saloon. Plenty of western wear/cowboy hats in there, when we were there. Now, what both Loveland and FC have, Jacksonville definitely doesn't. Please re-read the word "doesn't".

And, obviously, people have to live in an area to really, really get the "realistic" feel for it. Visiting is great, but living there is another thing. IOW, we really think, NO....will use the word "know", that we could live there, but have to live there first.
I see you also asked about winter again. It will be almost the same as you experienced in Parker - mild and pleasant 90% of the time, with abundant sunshine and dry. You'll have the occasional snow storm pass through from around 2 to 6 times a winter with cold temps a handful of days. IMO, winter is the second most enjoyable season here, after autumn and I would take it any day over any humid place like Florida or anywhere else in the eastern US.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 12:39 PM

7,548 posts, read 17,726,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I see you also asked about winter again. It will be almost the same as you experienced in Parker - mild and pleasant 90% of the time, with abundant sunshine and dry. You'll have the occasional snow storm pass through from around 2 to 6 times a winter with cold temps a handful of days. IMO, winter is the second most enjoyable season here, after autumn and I would take it any day over any humid place like Florida or anywhere else in the eastern US.
Got that right (in red)!!

Yes, to see outdoor Christmas décor while it's snowing or after a snow, is absolutely beautiful. It's just funny how people in Denver metro each December want to know, and wish for, a White Christmas. Boy, they sure had a White Christmas in Dec 2006 that was called The Holiday Blizzard. My supervisor/director back then, told me "people here need to watch what they wish for".

And then, autumn in RMNP...….WOW, again. Seeing the colors and hearing/seeing the bull elk "bugling" during "the rut". We got some really nice photos of some nice rack bull elk surrounded by elk cows.

Colorado's population has definitely grown, in some ways due to recreational mj, and can be pricey for COL, but the State is still number 1 for us. As for me, I also like Wyoming, Montana and the Dakota's.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Got that right (in red)!!

Yes, to see outdoor Christmas décor while it's snowing or after a snow, is absolutely beautiful. It's just funny how people in Denver metro each December want to know, and wish for, a White Christmas. Boy, they sure had a White Christmas in Dec 2006 that was called The Holiday Blizzard. My supervisor/director back then, told me "people here need to watch what they wish for".

And then, autumn in RMNP...….WOW, again. Seeing the colors and hearing/seeing the bull elk "bugling" during "the rut". We got some really nice photos of some nice rack bull elk surrounded by elk cows.

Colorado's population has definitely grown, in some ways due to recreational mj, and can be pricey for COL, but the State is still number 1 for us. As for me, I also like Wyoming, Montana and the Dakota's.
I think the Black Hills area is very nice and extremely nice people in the area.

Yes, autumn is lovely here, even on the high plains, with the dabble of yellow in the rabbit brush and the cottonwoods. The elk rut is nice and the aspens are outstanding in the park. I would also suggest the Poudre canyon as well as the so called 'Peak to Peak Highway' and the Ward and Nederland areas, which have fewer tourists.

I see you said you saw one apartment complex in Loveland you liked. I would also look for houses on Craigslist, as you might be able to find something comparable in price.

Do note that it is summer vacation for the college kids, so Ft Collins will be busier otherwise. I think you should also look at Berthoud, which is 10 min south of Loveland, in your search.

I see someone else mentioned it, but also for getting between Loveland and Ft Collins, avoid College (287) and take Shields and Taft, both N/S routes west of College.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:42 PM

When we were in Loveland last week, we went to the Boot Barn in FC, by way of Cascades St, which was where our La Quinta Hotel was. Got in some scenery and a fast way to get to FC (bottom of it?).

When we lived in Parker, we went into RMNP and took Trail Ridge Road to the top (Summit) and back down to Grand Lake. Even seen a moose and her calf as we were coming down.

We won’t be able to afford to buy a house or condo and wife doesn’t want to rent a house, but could change her mind on renting a house.

Went to Rapid City, SD when we lived in Parker. Was at Mt Rushmore, Bear Country and drove thru Custer State Park. Seen a herd of Buffalo and a few deer there. Spent a couple of nights in Deadwood and went to the High Plains Western Heritage Center in Spearfish. Had a great time!!

Yes, we went a lot of places during the 5 1/2 years we lived there.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
When we were in Loveland last week, we went to the Boot Barn in FC, by way of Cascades St, which was where our La Quinta Hotel was. Got in some scenery and a fast way to get to FC (bottom of it?).

When we lived in Parker, we went into RMNP and took Trail Ridge Road to the top (Summit) and back down to Grand Lake. Even seen a moose and her calf as we were coming down.

We won’t be able to afford to buy a house or condo and wife doesn’t want to rent a house, but could change her mind on renting a house.

Went to Rapid City, SD when we lived in Parker. Was at Mt Rushmore, Bear Country and drove thru Custer State Park. Seen a herd of Buffalo and a few deer there. Spent a couple of nights in Deadwood and went to the High Plains Western Heritage Center in Spearfish. Had a great time!!

Yes, we went a lot of places during the 5 1/2 years we lived there.
Yes, we did the Black Hills area trip you describe a few years ago for a Thanksgiving and had a great time! Lovely people up there and lots of attractions packed into that area.

If you do end up renting an apartment in Ft Collins, just be careful you don't get next to some noisy college students. I would look at older homes t rent in the Old Town area of Loveland if I were you. We live on the edge of Old Town and enjoy it. Very walkable, with tree lined streets and everyone is so friendly and neighborly-lots of fellow Midwesterners. I'm not a fan of newer areas with tract housing and huge apartment complexes, with cul-de-sacs and all that, producing Anywhere USA.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Yes, we did the Black Hills area trip you describe a few years ago for a Thanksgiving and had a great time! Lovely people up there and lots of attractions packed into that area.

If you do end up renting an apartment in Ft Collins, just be careful you don't get next to some noisy college students. I would look at older homes t rent in the Old Town area of Loveland if I were you. We live on the edge of Old Town and enjoy it. Very walkable, with tree lined streets and everyone is so friendly and neighborly-lots of fellow Midwesterners. I'm not a fan of newer areas with tract housing and huge apartment complexes, with cul-de-sacs and all that, producing Anywhere USA.
Thanks for the recommendation of where to rent.

Funny, but every time we look at one of our dvd movies, or photos, we made while living there, we really miss Colorado wether the are summer or winter videos or photos. It’s like we both keep telling each other, “we should have never left”. People, including Seniors, can fall anywhere they live, not in just ice and snow. Could happen in the middle of the summer, like it did for me here.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation of where to rent.

Funny, but every time we look at one of our dvd movies, or photos, we made while living there, we really miss Colorado wether the are summer or winter videos or photos. It’s like we both keep telling each other, “we should have never left”. People, including Seniors, can fall anywhere they live, not in just ice and snow. Could happen in the middle of the summer, like it did for me here.
Since I live here, I'm happy to give any recommendations or any other help I can along the way. Feel free to contact me to ask.

Yes, you're right anyone can fall at anytime. I would think, if you end up renting an apartment, you could trust it will be cleared during bad weather and you can just hunker down a day or so until it is, lessening your chances of a fall.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:

If you can, send me a PM of where you live. On the "edge of Old Town"? You renting a house or apartment there? Please remember, we absolutely can't afford to buy a home or condo, but could consider renting a house instead of an apartment.

BTW, after being back here in Jacksonville for a week, we can REALLY tell the difference between here and there (Loveland or FC) and would prefer those two areas ANYTIME over here or Florida in general.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:26 AM

10,808 posts, read 8,752,007 times
Quote:
When we were in Loveland last week,

Did I miss the thread?!?!? How was the visit?

Old 08-06-2018, 08:29 AM

6,860 posts, read 3,407,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Did I miss the thread?!?!? How was the visit?
He did a wrap-up summary in Post #89, on Page 9.

~ The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence ~

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-06-2018 at 08:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area