U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2018, 01:10 PM

7,517 posts, read 17,663,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
There comes a time in most of our lives where we start to care LESS about what other people think.

Not winning any popularity contests in the journey... just getting on with life.

Many many reasons to like / dislike a region, and I would expect mine to be far different than yours! (and I wouldn't care in the least)... it's EXPECTED / desired!

I know several Loveland & FC people who winter in FL (for last 30 yrs) and they love both places. Beats complaining and doing NOTHING about it.

Set your sites...
Pull the trigger
Execute
Live with the consequences (here or there or anywhere)
Believe this or not, if we could be "snowbirds", we'd have a home in both Colorado and somewhere like Florida, but definitely not Florida. From what I've heard, most "snowbirds" that live in Colorado, and surrounding states, have a second home in either Las Vegas or Phoenix. We have never met any "snowbirds" in Colorado that had a second home in Florida. Everyone we talked to, while in Colorado, were pretty shocked to hear that we live in Florida.

And, we are doing something about leaving here. First thing was to spend a week there, in which we did. We've been packing up things right and left. All of the pictures on our apartment walls are all packed up.

Guess I should just leave this Thread alone, being that we've already made the trip there and, without a doubt, know we liked it better there than here. So...……..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I like this. Words of wisdom.

We need less complaining and spreading misery and negativity around. That's what differentiates modern times from those of the past. People used to just suck it up, keep unpleasantness to themselves, and move forward. Repeating the same old story and same sour grapes is grating and annoying.
Fortunately, or unfortunately, whichever, not everyone is the quiet type. Take a good look at most of the Threads in this entire forum. Lots and lots of complaining done about where people live.

My wife completely understands about my complaining about living here and doesn't scold me about it. But, truth is, complaining can on go so far and then people will start complaining about the person who is complaining.

There are those that do think I'm annoying, but at least I speak how I feel and don't let it all bundle up inside of me.

As far as "words of wisdom" goes...…...I never listen to them! LOL

Old 08-22-2018, 01:20 PM

One last thing...….will see the nice folks of Loveland and FC when we come back with all of our stuff.

As for me, the Moderator of this forum can Close/Lock this Thread. I don't need it anymore. But, THANKS to all of those that replied to it.

Last edited by LoveBoating; 08-22-2018 at 01:55 PM..

Old 08-22-2018, 03:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,115 posts, read 45,202,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
One last thing...….will see the nice folks of Loveland and FC when we come back with all of our stuff.

As for me, the Moderator of this forum can Close/Lock this Thread. I don't need it anymore. But, THANKS to all of those that replied to it.
Be advised... There are hundreds of thousands of readers who benefit from C-D threads. (including many who may want to move to Loveland and ask relevant questions to other posters)

Threads are of 'public' access & value to thousands of others and are not your personal blog / rant / control...

Close / Lock / Remove is a form of censorship and may needed when things get out of control or drift dangerously from subject matter (Such as advice to a personal / specific level, or ranting / complaining about other areas besides Loveland). There is a lot of good content on this thread to help others make a rational / informed decision on a specific location (C-D intent).

For those seeking Loveland... glean the content, forgive the fluff, ask direct and relevant questions, enjoy the journey. It is one of many GREAT places to relocate and has:
  1. a diverse economy,
  2. range of age in population,
  3. good schools,
  4. terrain and recreation,
  5. housing options,
  6. 1 hr access to DEN, WY, RMNP, Pawnee Grasslands, Recreational lakes, Boulder
  7. Access to nearby Universities: (CU), CSU, UNC
  8. Art focused
  9. Strong volunteerism / programs / community support
  10. Low Crime
  11. Good services (Medical and EMS)
  12. Relatively nice climate for NoCo / mtn state (next door to "The Garden Spot of Colorado")
  13. plenty (too much(?) shopping
  14. Very nice / friendly population
  15. interesting history / benefit to NoCo
  16. Good trail network
  17. Plenty to do (inside and outside)

RE: Snow birding... As 'retirees' our different locations (PNW, CO, TX) all are 'cash flow positive' with free places for us to stay (cabins / bunkhouses...) , and deductible travel between locations. The additive total of asset investment in all 3 locations is less than the average current home price in Loveland / FC. So COST / expense is not the issue in our business model.

Good luck to all.

Plenty to learn on the journey, (If you keenly listen)
plenty to contribute for all.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Be advised... There are hundreds of thousands of readers who benefit from C-D threads. (including many who may want to move to Loveland and ask relevant questions to other posters)

Threads are of 'public' access & value to thousands of others and are not your personal blog / rant / control...

Close / Lock / Remove is a form of censorship and may needed when things get out of control or drift dangerously from subject matter (Such as advice to a personal / specific level, or ranting / complaining about other areas besides Loveland). There is a lot of good content on this thread to help others make a rational / informed decision on a specific location (C-D intent).

For those seeking Loveland... glean the content, forgive the fluff, ask direct and relevant questions, enjoy the journey. It is one of many GREAT places to relocate and has:
  1. a diverse economy,
  2. range of age in population,
  3. good schools,
  4. terrain and recreation,
  5. housing options,
  6. 1 hr access to DEN, WY, RMNP, Pawnee Grasslands, Recreational lakes, Boulder
  7. Access to nearby Universities: (CU), CSU, UNC
  8. Art focused
  9. Strong volunteerism / programs / community support
  10. Low Crime
  11. Good services (Medical and EMS)
  12. Relatively nice climate for NoCo / mtn state (next door to "The Garden Spot of Colorado")
  13. plenty (too much(?) shopping
  14. Very nice / friendly population
  15. interesting history / benefit to NoCo
  16. Good trail network
  17. Plenty to do (inside and outside)

RE: Snow birding... As 'retirees' our different locations (PNW, CO, TX) all are 'cash flow positive' with free places for us to stay (cabins / bunkhouses...) , and deductible travel between locations. The additive total of asset investment in all 3 locations is less than the average current home price in Loveland / FC. So COST / expense is not the issue in our business model.

Good luck to all.

Plenty to learn on the journey, (If you keenly listen)
plenty to contribute for all.
Sorry for asking to Close/Lock it. Guess it should be me that should be "closed and locked" for-to-say and somewhat kidding.

Everything you listed here is exactly what attracted us to want to move there, and now that we've actually visited, the "attraction" is even higher. Although, we did talk to some Seniors there, at a McDonalds, that don't really like the population increase that has hit Loveland. They were living there when the population was only 15,000.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,115 posts, read 45,202,274 times
Quote:
Sorry for asking to Close/Lock it. Guess it should be me that should be "closed and locked" for-to-say and somewhat kidding.

Everything you listed here is exactly what attracted us to want to move there, and now that we've actually visited, the "attraction" is even higher. Although, we did talk to some Seniors there, at a McDonalds, that don't really like the population increase that has hit Loveland. They were living there when the population was only 15,000.
<7,000 population when I first arrived in Loveland. (the Airport was in the Kmart parking lot on West Eisenhower/ Rist Benson Lake / near Apartments you checked out )

Loveland, Colorado's estimated population (2018) is 76,701 according to the most recent United States census estimates
Things have changed...

Cherry Hills,
was... Cherries, not houses (Those arrived in 1960's).
Gracie Clinger cruised around Lake Loveland in her Aqua Car. (She had 2- 3... Aqua and Red ones for sure...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72NNoVAVkkc (Start watching video at beginning and SKIP to 1:15...)

Harold Dunning (historian) was a good friend and adviser for my parents.
https://openlibrary.org/authors/OL20...Marion_Dunning

In your free time.. you might enjoy and learn a lot about the region; "Over hill and vale;: In the evening shadows of Colorado's Longs Peak"

I keep a copy handy,
I get out of print books (free) on Paperbackbookswap

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-22-2018 at 06:12 PM..

Old 08-30-2018, 03:14 PM

Tropics are heating up in the southern Atlantic. Dang I wish we were already living there aka northern Colorado and not HERE. Oh well, "all good things come in time" the old saying goes.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:56 PM

Just to let everyone that has replied to this thread, still planning on the move outta here. We still think the trip, this past July, was truly a big PLUS for us finding out about the Loveland area. Some comments were made here and there, both good and bad, but our plans still stick about moving there.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:29 PM

Been here for almost four months now. Can definitely understand why someone on this forum told us they didn't want us to move here due to us not being open minded or open minded enough. Wife and I can definitely see resemblances here to Los Angeles and perhaps even Denver. When we were here last year for a week, in August, that sure wasn't enough time to see what we see now.

I can really understand why someone would pretty much have to be open minded, or very close to it, to live here.

However, even though we weren't able to get our boat on Boyd Lake after we arrived here, we did drive around part of the lake (that is "driving" accessible) and liked what we seen. We'd already been on Horsetooth Lake when we lived here before. It was nice.

The apartment we are now in, even though it is a 2-bedroom, is quite a bit smaller than our one was in northeastern Florida. We will stay for the length of our lease, but after that, who knows.

Nice things are, which was sort of unexpected: the Cowboy Church on Eisenhower Blvd., a nice Country-Western nightclub called The Boot Grill on Crossroads, the Circuit Finals Rodeo we went to at the Mac Equipment Indoor Arena and...…..that I can wear either my felt or straw cowboy hat and not get the "looks" from folks, like I did down South. Centennial Livestock Auction is up I-25, across from American Furniture Warehouse, in Ft. Collins. We've already been to Estes Park and into Rocky Mountain National Park to see Elk and Mule Deer. These things are very, very nice and didn't have them for the 10 1/2 years we lived in Florida.

Old 12-03-2019, 04:39 AM

7,842 posts, read 2,489,587 times
Quote:
Been here for almost four months now. Can definitely understand why someone on this forum told us they didn't want us to move here due to us not being open minded or open minded enough. Wife and I can definitely see resemblances here to Los Angeles and perhaps even Denver. When we were here last year for a week, in August, that sure wasn't enough time to see what we see now.

I can really understand why someone would pretty much have to be open minded, or very close to it, to live here.

However, even though we weren't able to get our boat on Boyd Lake after we arrived here, we did drive around part of the lake (that is "driving" accessible) and liked what we seen. We'd already been on Horsetooth Lake when we lived here before. It was nice.

The apartment we are now in, even though it is a 2-bedroom, is quite a bit smaller than our one was in northeastern Florida. We will stay for the length of our lease, but after that, who knows.

Nice things are, which was sort of unexpected: the Cowboy Church on Eisenhower Blvd., a nice Country-Western nightclub called The Boot Grill on Crossroads, the Circuit Finals Rodeo we went to at the Mac Equipment Indoor Arena and...…..that I can wear either my felt or straw cowboy hat and not get the "looks" from folks, like I did down South. Centennial Livestock Auction is up I-25, across from American Furniture Warehouse, in Ft. Collins. We've already been to Estes Park and into Rocky Mountain National Park to see Elk and Mule Deer. These things are very, very nice and didn't have them for the 10 1/2 years we lived in Florida.
Okay, I'll bite. With your intentional vagueness, I'm not sure what you're referring to but can guess your complaints are similar to your previous ones - tattoos. Would be interested to know what else!

Loveland and NOCO are nothing like Los Angeles. Loveland, if anything is one of the more conservative/moderate towns in the area - certainly more so than Ft Collins, which you mentioned as a place you might move next time. In actuality, there is not much of a difference driving 12 miles up or down 287. The real problem here is your attitude. Remember, you are what you think and the energy you put out is what you get back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area