Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 07:34 AM

127 posts, read 234,524 times

Advertisements

It's like you wanted to buy western apparel but only shopped at Ann Taylor .....

Who could have predicted it would turn out this way ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 09:21 AM

8,943 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Okay, I'll bite. With your intentional vagueness, I'm not sure what you're referring to but can guess your complaints are similar to your previous ones - tattoos. Would be interested to know what else!

Loveland and NOCO are nothing like Los Angeles. Loveland, if anything is one of the more conservative/moderate towns in the area - certainly more so than Ft Collins, which you mentioned as a place you might move next time. In actuality, there is not much of a difference driving 12 miles up or down 287. The real problem here is your attitude. Remember, you are what you think and the energy you put out is what you get back.
Ok, I'll simply put it this way......you think of Loveland the way you want to and we, and obviously some others, will think of it as we see it. IOW, agree to disagree.

Our complaints aren't totally about tattoos, but it is there. Just how many times does a person have to say "not everyone likes tattoos" especially when they are all over the body. You may like them or not, that is entirely up to you, but there are those that really don't. Actually, we are getting more use to seeing them. How's that? There are a few other things that we don't necessarily like about Loveland, but there are those people that can find different things they don't like about any area they have lived in or live in.

There isn't a thing wrong with my attitude. If a person, or people, don't like something, that's up to them. Doesn't mean they have an attitude.

I have mentioned the things that we have found to like about Loveland, but for some reason, you don't want to look at them.

As for myself, I wouldn't recommend any Senior moving to Loveland. Especially a Senior that might want a part-time or full-time job. My wife has a major degree, lots and lots of experience in finance/accounting and can't find a job here. She is 71 and, apparently, that age is hurting her chances a lot when living in an area with a high population of much younger folks.

Anyway, I respect your feelings, but you must also respect our feelings.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener View Post
It's like you wanted to buy western apparel but only shopped at Ann Taylor .....

Who could have predicted it would turn out this way ?

If we want western apparel, we go to Boot Barn in Ft Collins. Funny, but we are planning on going there and buying me a new felt hat for Christmas. We are going to keep on attending the Cowboy Church here and I want to look good. Not only that, but we know how many rodeos are on the Front Range, including the Denver Stock Show & Rodeo this coming January, of which we already have our tickets for. Fortunately, professional rodeo will never leave Colorado. Thank God!

Old 12-03-2019, 09:38 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
If we want western apparel, we go to Boot Barn in Ft Collins. Funny, but we are planning on going there and buying me a new felt hat for Christmas. We are going to keep on attending the Cowboy Church here and I want to look good. Not only that, but we know how many rodeos are on the Front Range, including the Denver Stock Show & Rodeo this coming January, of which we already have our tickets for. Fortunately, professional rodeo will never leave Colorado. Thank God!
Professional rodeo is for show.

How’s the saying go—All Hat, No Cattle?

Old 12-03-2019, 09:45 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ok, I'll simply put it this way......you think of Loveland the way you want to and we, and obviously some others, will think of it as we see it. IOW, agree to disagree.

Our complaints aren't totally about tattoos, but it is there. Just how many times does a person have to say "not everyone likes tattoos" especially when they are all over the body. You may like them or not, that is entirely up to you, but there are those that really don't. Actually, we are getting more use to seeing them. How's that? There are a few other things that we don't necessarily like about Loveland, but there are those people that can find different things they don't like about any area they have lived in or live in.

There isn't a thing wrong with my attitude. If a person, or people, don't like something, that's up to them. Doesn't mean they have an attitude.

I have mentioned the things that we have found to like about Loveland, but for some reason, you don't want to look at them.

As for myself, I wouldn't recommend any Senior moving to Loveland. Especially a Senior that might want a part-time or full-time job. My wife has a major degree, lots and lots of experience in finance/accounting and can't find a job here. She is 71 and, apparently, that age is hurting her chances a lot when living in an area with a high population of much younger folks.

Anyway, I respect your feelings, but you must also respect our feelings.
I don't disrespect your feelings and I have never said you have a poor attitude. As far as tattoos, I guess I just don't see it, because I can't recall the last time I saw someone with one - guess it isn't high on my list of priorities or perhaps I don't live in an apartment complex.

The reason your wife cannot find a job is because we have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country, which is a result of a hot economy in a place where people want to live.

I don't like all the growth either, but as with everything, there is an upside and a downside. If we want a hot economy, low poverty, low unemployment, etc, we are going to have growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post

I think to him, professional rodeo = western. LoveBoating, if you want to live the traditional western life as you imagine it, I would suggest moving to a small town on the eastern plains and getting some cattle. Going to a professional rodeo is not living the western life.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:52 AM

Real western traditional life exists farther west, too, right along with tattooed-everywhere people. Yep: cowboy hats, boots, and jeans as normal everyday wear, AND tattooed people wearing extralong baggie shorts and hoodies. Old toughs and young toughs, whoopie doo.

Can’t run away from diversification, and that’s a good thing.

Last edited by pikabike; 12-03-2019 at 10:51 AM..

Old 12-03-2019, 10:01 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
I've said this once already, but it bears repeating so I'll link to my other post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Honestly LB if you're looking for a "western" feel in Colorado, the northwestern corner of the state (specifically Craig) is probably your best bet. Ranching is prevalent, and there are a lot of cowboys, pickups, etc. in that part of the state. The high school has a rodeo team, there's at least one rodeo every year during the Grand Old West Days celebration, and the Meeker Sheepdog Classic is held every fall in Meeker (45 miles south of Craig).

For your boating, Elkhead Reservoir and Steamboat Lake State Park are nearby, and Flaming Gorge in Utah is a couple hours away.

The downsides are it's a small town (approx. 9000 people), winters suck, medical care can be meh, and it's beyond BFE with limited air service.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:04 AM

I’m not convinced that real cowboys would be awestruck by an ex-show-rodeo rider strutting around trying to relive his glory days.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post

Whatever. All I'm saying is that rodeo will never/ever leave Colorado. We love that fact and so do many that live in Colorado.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I don't disrespect your feelings and I have never said you have a poor attitude. As far as tattoos, I guess I just don't see it, because I can't recall the last time I saw someone with one - guess it isn't high on my list of priorities or perhaps I don't live in an apartment complex.

The reason your wife cannot find a job is because we have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country, which is a result of a hot economy in a place where people want to live.

I don't like all the growth either, but as with everything, there is an upside and a downside. If we want a hot economy, low poverty, low unemployment, etc, we are going to have growth.

I think to him, professional rodeo = western. LoveBoating, if you want to live the traditional western life as you imagine it, I would suggest moving to a small town on the eastern plains and getting some cattle. Going to a professional rodeo is not living the western life.
First, we've gone many places here where employees are showing off their tattoos. One place is Breakfast Club on Boise Ave. Many, many Walmart employees, on West Eisenhower, have tattoos and show them off.

Believe it or not, there are lots of jobs in Loveland and the area. My wife has applied to over 80 jobs, but only two in-person interviews.

We aren't looking for the "traditional western life", just an area where more dudes wear cowboy hats and folks know what the word "rodeo" means.

EastwardBound, if you were to go to a WCRA rodeo, you'd definitely see actual ranch "working cowboys" in action. As far as "living the western life", some top rodeo contestants do, but others don't. Not a single rodeo person I use to know done that. I knew Team Ropers, Steer Wrestlers and Tie-Down Ropers that were lawyers, doctors and even in law enforcement. But, then again, there are those top rodeo contestants and champions that do live the western life in running a ranch when they aren't on the rodeo trail. When Lewis Field's son, Kaycee Field, isn't doing rodeo, he is working the family ranch in Utah where his family also runs a stock contracting business.

Like I've said before, you simply see Loveland in some different ways than we do as you do with rodeo. I spent 20 years in rodeo and met a lot of top rodeo contestants and world champions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area