Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 06:19 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times

Advertisements

Well, after doing some research, found out that Loveland is 25.52 square miles (size), while here it is 875 square miles (size), but Loveland has more people per square mile than here. Loveland has 2,255 people per square mile, while here is 1,178 people per square mile. Loveland appears more populated, but in reality, it's not. Just more people in a smaller area.

Now, all wife and I have to do is find out about the areas of Loveland to stay out of and not live in. Streets and/or areas (north, south, east or west or combo of).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 07:40 AM

Default Loveland Trip

Since we (wife/I) are seriously considering relocating to Loveland in 2019, we have decided to take a week vacation there to REALLY see what the area is like. When we leave here (northeastern Florida), we will both be retired, but living on SS and savings.........like a lot of Seniors do. We will also be in our early 70's.

Just to let those, that don't already know, we lived in central Colorado (Englewood and Parker) for a total of 5 1/2 years (June 2002 thru Oct 2007). We definitely know what winters can be like, and besides that, wife was born/raised in a suburb of Detroit, Mich. and I was raised in northeastern Indiana (former farm-boy).

Obviously we would like to live in a safe neighborhood, like we are currently. So, which neighborhoods are those? Areas of Loveland to stay out of?

We won't be buying a house, but will be either renting a 2-bedroom or (possibly) buying a condo. It will be just her and I.

We pretty much know everything else about Loveland, including the population. We know Loveland isn't Strasburg, but we aren't looking for that small of town to move to. Loveland has a number of very interesting things that we definitely don't have here........like nice/public lakes for boating/fishing.

So, please let us know about these certain things.

Last edited by BabyBoomers2; 01-12-2018 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: wrong title

Old 01-12-2018, 09:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
I'm Surprised you missed going during the Stock Show! (still have a week left!)

Headed Loveland and stock show tomorrow (thanks to the $40 fares to DEN)

Do a search on your previous inquiries, have already commented on neighborhoods and lakes.

for city, I prefer south of Lake and west of Garfield (Close to lake is nice for daily walks around the lake)
only Rough areas are near and east of Chilson Center (too bad), as it is nice to be near. just stay north and west a few blocks.

I avoid ANY tract subdivisions (= 90 % of the available housing / 'sprawl' in NoCo).

Old 01-12-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I'm Surprised you missed going during the Stock Show! (still have a week left!)

Headed Loveland and stock show tomorrow (thanks to the $40 fares to DEN)

Do a search on your previous inquiries, have already commented on neighborhoods and lakes.

for city, I prefer south of Lake and west of Garfield (Close to lake is nice for daily walks around the lake)
only Rough areas are near and east of Chilson Center (too bad), as it is nice to be near. just stay north and west a few blocks.

I avoid ANY tract subdivisions (= 90 % of the available housing / 'sprawl' in NoCo).
Costing us enough for airfare, rental car and motel for this coming July. We are coming in July so we can go to CFD. I got our Resistol straw hats out the other day and mine still fits me perfect. Other than wearing glasses now, I pretty much look the same as I did when I wore it to both So Calif. and Colorado rodeo's. Wife has two Resistol's. It will be way to hot to wear Felts.

We have photos and video of when we went to the Stock Show, when we lived there. The opening of each performance was spectacular with the Westernaires Girl Drill Team performing. And, when the lights went off and this Drill Team lighted up their outfits, WOW, what a sight. Yes, we definitely remember!

Out of curiosity, have you ever gone to the Larimer County Fair & Rodeo? The rodeo is held at the Budweiser Events Center. We weren't able to when we lived down south, in Parker.

Anyway, (don't get me really started on rodeo's, I could go on forever LOL). Yes, we REALLY miss them.
As far as the lakes in Loveland, we've seen what they look like on YouTube. Awfully nice.

As far as housing goes, we won't be looking for a house, only an apartment for now.

I'm excited about visiting there, but my wife is REALLY excited. She loved what she seen of the lakes on YouTube. When you say "Lake", are you referring to Loveland Lake or Carter Lake?

BTW, thanks for replying.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:54 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Moderator Speaking: Have merged or moved threads into fewer threads to keep as much info as possible in a few key threads.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Moderator Speaking: Have merged or moved threads into fewer threads to keep as much info as possible in a few key threads.
Thanks, Mike.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post

I'm excited about visiting there, but my wife is REALLY excited. She loved what she seen of the lakes on YouTube. When you say "Lake", are you referring to Loveland Lake or Carter Lake?

BTW, thanks for replying.
Wife will LOVE it! It is REALLY nice! (especially during the next month through Valentine's Day!). Several of our retired friends do a lot of volunteering for this event (Including the 'Miss Valentine' Chaperones for 40+ yrs...) Also Rodeo fans, and frequently to WY and KS.... Be sure the first yr you arrive, you buy your wife a 'Light Post mounted Valentine!!!' Thompson Valley Rotary Heart's Program

Lakes... Since you are into fishing, I previously recommended the many small lakes nearby, (not) Carter and Horsetooth are very 'recreation (Ski) centric (I have lived on / near both).

Last flight in I counted over 50 lakes between (south) Ft Collins and north Longmont (66) (Between I-25 and Foothills!!!)
You will love it too..

I competed and marshaled for the Larimer County Rodeo (decades ago...) My dad distributed Ag equip and supplies to WY, SD, CO, NE, KS... so the Stock Show was always 2 weeks off school for me!

My mom did an 'early version' of Westernaires... she was on a 'Horse mounted square- dancing team' that toured the above 5 states. She is in her late 80s, so that was a few yrs ago! She brought out the pics last month!

Western interests abound... a best friend's dad built these in Lusk, WY (Roy Rogers' saddle.. now collected by a Cheyenne resident who has quite a nice display!)

Plastic Saddles - Vandegrift ResearchVandegrift Research

This 'saddle maker' eventually moved to Loveland and built a Camper factory (Gold Star IIRC) Was on Railroad, AVE, just south of 1st st (On the way to old fairgrounds)
http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1969/Gold-Star
https://www.littlevintagetrailer.com...mper-for-sale/

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-12-2018 at 06:06 PM..

Old 01-12-2018, 08:26 PM

Just to let you know, StealthRabbit, we plan on having our 20’ 1992 Celebrity Cuddy Cabin boat shipped out there, just before we move. That is, if it continues running good.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Just to let you know, StealthRabbit, we plan on having our 20’ 1992 Celebrity Cuddy Cabin boat shipped out there, just before we move. That is, if it continues running good.
for that rig, you need / deserve some pretty 'big-water'... You might prefer a 14' open fishing boat in NoCo, and keep the Cuddy in FL (or gulf coast) for frequent visits there. or... try a few different places to boat (St Lawrence and Columbia Rivers + Puget Sound + TVA 'ponds' + Lake Havasu (Parker Dam) or Lake Mead. Many CO friends kept their boats there.

Bigger water near NoCo (without the Denver Crowds) is: ~ 3 hrs to either.

Glendo, WY ... https://www.travelwyoming.com/listin...ndo-state-park

and McConaughy, NE ... Lake McConaughy State Recreation Area - Nebraska Game and ParksNebraska Game and Parks |

Both Carter and Horsetooth are pretty small / not much to 'explore' and a good CLIMB to get there.

Bottom line... Enjoy your boat A LOT while you are in FL!!!

I enjoyed / used my sailboat everyday when living in Gulf islands BC. (moored off shore from our cabin) but... ~3x / yr when NOT living right on the water. Finally 'sold' it by donating to a charity.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
for that rig, you need / deserve some pretty 'big-water'... You might prefer a 14' open fishing boat in NoCo, and keep the Cuddy in FL (or gulf coast) for frequent visits there. or... try a few different places to boat (St Lawrence and Columbia Rivers + Puget Sound + TVA 'ponds' + Lake Havasu (Parker Dam) or Lake Mead. Many CO friends kept their boats there.

Bigger water near NoCo (without the Denver Crowds) is: ~ 3 hrs to either.

Glendo, WY ... https://www.travelwyoming.com/listin...ndo-state-park

and McConaughy, NE ... Lake McConaughy State Recreation Area - Nebraska Game and ParksNebraska Game and Parks |

Both Carter and Horsetooth are pretty small / not much to 'explore' and a good CLIMB to get there.

Bottom line... Enjoy your boat A LOT while you are in FL!!!

I enjoyed / used my sailboat everyday when living in Gulf islands BC. (moored off shore from our cabin) but... ~3x / yr when NOT living right on the water. Finally 'sold' it by donating to a charity.
Ok, to set the record straight..........for 3 years, we had a 16' 1989 Invader Bowrider w/a 4-banger engine, when we lived in Parker. We took it on Chatfield Lake/Reservoir for Rainbow trout fishing and "beached" it by the shore to relax under a canopy a lot of weekends. A few times we also put it in at Cherry Creek Lake/Reservoir, but just to cruise around it that water. Went one time to Horsetooth Lake fishing, but since the fish weren't biting, just cruised the lake. Had no problem getting to the lake/boat ramp at all. We really enjoyed Chatfield and even was on the water during the Hot Air Balloon Festival (when they ascended early Saturday AM).

Shoot, while fishing in the No Wake area of Chatfield, we noticed two or three nice size Cabin Cruisers tied up to each other. Some pretty nice size boats went on CC as well.

When we had our house in Parker, we did have a neighbor, and his brother, who each, had a full-size Cabin Cruiser they would haul to Lake Mead and dock for the summer. After each weekend, they would head back to Colorado for their full-time jobs. We would never do that (don't have that kind of money).

To us, Florida boating isn't that much fun. For the last year and a half, we've had our boat in a semi-Dry Storage (meaning the storage has a roof and sides, but not fully enclosed). A forklift gets our boat out of it's rack and lowers it into the water by the dock and we take off. When we get back, the forklift takes it out of the water, puts it on a Wash Rack so we can rinse out the engine/outdrive with fresh hose water. The river we go on (St John's River) is totally "brackish" water (part fresh/part salt). We call it "Root Beer" water, because that's what it looks like.
Boating navigation here isn't that easy (for us) at all. IOW, we much prefer boating on lakes in Colorado than here!

We really never had a problem boating in Colorado, because we were generally on the water by 8:30 AM. Most boaters were showing up at the ramp to go in, at noon, as we were leaving.

On YouTube, I have seen some fairly good size boats on Loveland, Horsetooth and Carter.

Our boating experience comes from going out with my Uncle on his ski boat in Indiana and being in the Navy and onboard a ship. My wife's family had a cottage on a lake in southeastern Michigan, with a ski boat and small Jon Boat.

Now you know about our boating in Colorado and here. Will take Colorado any time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area