Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2018, 12:15 PM

13 posts, read 10,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
We just don’t like Texas that much to live there. Just like Florida, many like/love it, even wth the tropical storms, possible hurricanes and high humidity, while others definitely don’t.

Even though Parker has a Feed/Tack Store and a yearly parade (Parker Days) of equine units, like Loveland does (Laramie County Fair/rodeo), Parker wasn’t Western at all.

Really wonder what the winters are truly like in Ft Collins and even Loveland areas. How cold it can get and how much snow can fall. We were told that Parker winters are much worse than either Loveland or Ft Collins.
I couldn't agree more about Texas. We are currently in Fort Worth. We've also lived in Corpus Christi. Crazy weather in both. My mother's condo in Rockport, TX is still being rebuilt after Hurricane Harvey. It is still not livable. Intense heat in the DFW area and hot and humid in CC with lots of lovely refineries. We are leaving in a few years, considering either Colorado or Washington. The Texas hill country is very nice, but still, for me, its the heat, bugs, etc. I miss being able to sit out on the porch without being attacked by dinosaur-sized mosquitos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 12:31 PM

13 posts, read 10,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, after being in both, and doing some reconsidering, we really think either would fit us. Right now, my wife doesn't want to live in any part of the South or East Coast. We lived in North Carolina and she didn't like it. Lived right down the street from Lake Norman, but with a nuclear power plant at the one end, she told me "that's out, period".

We have to have the "rodeo scene", since I spent years in PRCA. The HOF induction is this Saturday and we hope to watch it "Live" thru streaming. Wife told me "wish we could be there". We use to be members of the HOF when we lived in both Englewood and Parker and made it a point in attending the World Champion Inductions in January and the HOF Inductions in August. I'm no longer with PRCA, or roping, but we are both MAJOR fans of the sport. We just added the Wrangler Network to our Roku, as well as the CBS Sports Network and Outdoor Network to our cable subscription. Yes, we are definitely fans of the sport.

I've said this before, and will say it again...…..we are NOT looking for a "Cowtown" area to live and we know Loveland isn't that, but they do have a yearly rodeo at the Bud Center starting this weekend. Boyd Lake is nice and would love to put our cuddy cabin on it for some fishing/cruising around. Loveland also has The Boot Grill on Clydesdale Pkwy. in Loveland, if we got the urge to dawn our western attire for a Friday or Saturday night out. And, as already mentioned also, FC has the Sundance Steahhouse & Saloon. Plenty of western wear/cowboy hats in there, when we were there. Now, what both Loveland and FC have, Jacksonville definitely doesn't. Please re-read the word "doesn't".

And, obviously, people have to live in an area to really, really get the "realistic" feel for it. Visiting is great, but living there is another thing. IOW, we really think, NO....will use the word "know", that we could live there, but have to live there first.
I understand. I used to live in Virginia Beach. What did you like about Fort Collins, compared to Loveland?

Old 08-13-2018, 01:08 PM

8,882 posts, read 20,251,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharoninFW View Post
I understand. I used to live in Virginia Beach. What did you like about Fort Collins, compared to Loveland?
FC could be somewhat more "Western" than Loveland, being there is a livestock auction along the I-25 there and we've been to it. The restaurant/saloon Sundance had some guys wearing cowboy hats in it on a Saturday night we were there. Not at all saying FC is totally "cowboy", but is actually more than either Loveland or Parker. It would probably be somewhat easier finding a part-time job in FC than Loveland.

Two of the BIG draws for us to Loveland would be the lower population and Boyd Lake, plus The Boot Grill.

Basically, either Loveland or FC would definitely be better for us than here in Jacksonville, FL.. We know that for a fact.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,560 posts, read 57,481,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharoninFW View Post
I couldn't agree more about Texas. We are currently in Fort Worth. We've also lived in Corpus Christi. Crazy weather in both. My mother's condo in Rockport, TX is still being rebuilt after Hurricane Harvey. It is still not livable. Intense heat in the DFW area and hot and humid in CC with lots of lovely refineries. We are leaving in a few years, considering either Colorado or Washington. The Texas hill country is very nice, but still, for me, its the heat, bugs, etc. I miss being able to sit out on the porch without being attacked by dinosaur-sized mosquitos.
I have lived (and currently have) places in all 3.

Spent last week in Hill Country, last weekend in FtC and Loveland, and now in WA (western Columbia Gorge (wet side)).

Really depends on your hobbies / interests / weather (outdoor activities) and people / politics tolerance.
Colorado is great for Year Round outdoor activities (especially biking and hiking)(but not perfect... Snow + heat, both minimal) Politically I will never be able to return to CO (Battleground status is uncomfortable / extra and unnecessary strife (for me). Puppets as representatives + outside funding make politics ineffective for Colorado residents, but advances national 'agendas' for the wealthy campaigns. You will find 90% of the funding for Battleground Political issues and puppet candidates comes OUTSIDE the state, that is not often to the benefit of the residents or businesses / economy or security of the region.

WA is great if you can deal with wet winters (drizzle, not rain, 40F (always) in WA feels like 25F in CO (seldom, usually only in evenings / sunny and 25F is NICE!). WA has a LOT of water sports (huge fishing variety and access) + sea + mtns (and it is adjacent to Canada (A big plus if you like outdoors or camping, or international variety /cultural exchange). I also utilize frequent <$50 flights to CA, CO, TX, NM, NV and AZ to mitigate weather.
TX is nice the 280 days / yr I am not keen on WA, but will never be 'FT home' for DS (bugs, heat, more heat, and TX weird / pride ). (Colorado we use for 'shoulder season', ie... way too BROWN (air and terrain) for myself and Spouse) YMMV

Benefits of Loveland over FC = slower pace / less traffic / higher senior person percentage (of total population) / (used to be cheaper housing, but influx of seniors & people Working from home / good schools for younger grades...) has raised the cost bar in Loveland). Less competition for jobs and lower cost housing in Loveland) I enjoy Loveland senior activities / events / parks / hiking trails / proximity to Estes Park and Boulder.
FC benefits; More cultural / CSU related events, larger population (+/-), 20 min closer to WY!!!(for recreation and other benefits). More variety of housing

Both towns are great choices. FC QoL is OK if you bike everywhere (as possible)! (I dislike the FC traffic, as I have for 40+ yrs, Loveland traffic is now bad if you must use East Eisenhower (locate your housing so you can avoid it!)

Really enjoyed 35th annual Sculpture show in Loveland,
https://www.sculptureinthepark.org/show
and 'consumer' judging of the CSU trial garden (ornamental) Ft Collins this weekend visit.
Annual Flower Trial Garden at Colorado State University | <?php echo Home;?> Of course PNW is gardeners paradise (if you don't mind some mud and slugs.) + 100% rainwater available (as in hundreds of thousands of gallons (120" / yr precip at my location). CO was capping RW recovery at 55Gal (but I hear that has changed a bit). CO will not be keen you digging a 25,000 gal underground rainwater recovery tank in your backyard (common / possible / encouraged in some other states).

Old 08-14-2018, 01:54 PM

8,389 posts, read 8,597,071 times
Loveboating, happened to see a book that might interest you if you haven't already seen it. "The Last Cowboys" by John Branch. https://www.amazon.com/Last-Cowboys-.../dp/0393292347 Multi-generation story of Utah cattle ranchers / bronc riding rodeo champs. Published this year.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-14-2018 at 02:38 PM..

Old 08-15-2018, 09:23 PM

20 posts, read 18,093 times
LoveBoating, I suggest that when you're there, stop in at the Visitor Center. We did that when we visited. There is a man there who taught school for his career, who is very knowledgeable and helpful. He's familiar with the way Loveland has grown and changed over the years, including the increase in property values.

Go to activities and places which interest you, and talk with people who live there.

Loveland is pretty. Lakes are everywhere. People were friendly to us, and we were thrilled with the miles and miles of bike trails. I hope you and your wife have a wonderful visit in Loveland.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:09 AM

10,947 posts, read 6,988,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music-Maker View Post
LoveBoating, I suggest that when you're there, stop in at the Visitor Center. We did that when we visited. There is a man there who taught school for his career, who is very knowledgeable and helpful. He's familiar with the way Loveland has grown and changed over the years, including the increase in property values.
He and his wife's visit has already occurred. They are familiar with the area, and used to live nearby (Parker).

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-16-2018 at 09:31 AM..

Old 08-20-2018, 12:48 PM

Wish we were there now! Even with the I-25 north or south traffic, sure miss seeing the acre and acre of field corn, soy beans, some cattle grazing, a tractor here and there and round bales of hay. There are folks there that don't care about any of this, but we sure liked seeing it again. Sure don't see those things here.

AND, the summer humidity here, one word description...….horrible! At 7AM, 77 degrees and 97% humidity. We have no idea how we have tolerated this since 2009. Really thought we could live here, but that sure has changed, especially after our visit there a few weeks ago. At first we complained about "this and that" in Loveland, but sure changed our mind before leaving there. And, really changed our minds once we landed here in Jacksonville and stepped out into the humidity. My wife is telling me quite often how hard of a time she has breathing here now.

Get some medical things taken care of here, continue packing, get a transport for our boat next year and HOPEFULLY, will be on our way next May. Also, have to set up a few things there, like boat storage and storage for our stuff and a P.O. Box before we leave here.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:09 AM

Just thought of something else: During the week we were there, we only heard two emergency sirens. Where we currently live, Jacksonville, FL, it's multiple sirens daily we hear.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:29 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,344,544 times
The first signs of autumn are here. Some slight coloration on the aspens in the high country and a bit down on the plains too with the cottonwoods and willows along with low 50's at night, which has been great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area