Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:59 PM

149 posts, read 686,523 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what all there is to do in the Ft. Collins area besides outdoor activities, which I know are numerous. I am aware that there are at least 2 breweries (New Belgium & Budweiser) and I assume they allow tours. I'm also a bit familiar with the downtown area. What else is there to do in Ft. Collins? Is there a zoo or a science center? Do many good concerts (besides country which I can't stand) come to Ft. Collins? Are these all things that would generally require a trip to Denver or are these types of amenities available in Ft. Collins? Also what are some good restaurants in Ft. Collins? My wife and I had breakfast at The Egg & I and dinner at Coopersmith's when we were there last August. We thought both were excellent! What other places are decent in Ft. Collins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 09:09 AM

423 posts, read 1,959,570 times
There is so much to do here. There is the budweiser event center in loveland that offers hockey, arena football, concerts, disney on ice, etc. There is the Lincoln center and many dinner theatres in this area, which the show I love you your perfect now change playing at the nonesuch theatre is GREAT!!! As far as food if you are looking for a higher class place the melting pot is wonderful. Other places that are good, The silver grill, Texas Land and Cattle, and Bisetti's. There is not a zoo here in Fort Collins. Denver is the closest for that. Denver also has a large water park and a large theme park which is worth the drive. If you have kids you can take them downtown to a touch of color. That is a place to paint ceramic pieces and is very affordable and fun. I will let you know if I think of anything else. I am sure I just touched the surface of things to do here.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:47 AM

149 posts, read 686,523 times
Thanks Tom! I'd love to hear some other opinions on this subject as well. Does anyone else have any input on this topic?

Old 03-17-2008, 05:51 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,975,932 times
Restaurants:

Lucile's (Cajun Brunch)
Young's (Vietnamese/Chinese)
Avogadro's Number (Hippie/College hangout)
Rainbow (organic/vegetarian)
Jay's Bistro (upscale bistro)
B&B Pickle Barrel (Deli)
Silver Grill (Breakfast)
Sri Thai (Thai)
BeauJo's (Pizza)
Austin's American (Comfort Food, Steak)

Old 03-24-2008, 01:32 AM

26 posts, read 265,827 times
To answer the brewery questions:
Both breweries do tours, but the only one I have been on is New Belgium. They do free tours tuesday through saturday. Check their website for specific hours.
Basically you go to the brewery which is near old town on Linden St. and go into the store/tasting room off the parking lot. Go up to the bar and get vouchers for the tour (if there is a wait) and wait for your group to be called.
The tour is great because it tells you about all the innovative things they do and how they strive to be enviro-friendly.
The best part is the free beer! You get to sample some of their beer (4 if I remember correctly) in the tasting room. This can be done before or after the tour, but if you wait till after, you will know more about them.
They also have some beers on tap that are not available in stores. Last summer I was getting Mothership Wit in growlers while it was still being test-marketed.
I highly recommend the tour, or just stopping by the tasting room.
New Belgium Brewing (http://www.newbelgium.com/visitus.php - broken link)

Old 03-28-2008, 05:21 PM

585 posts, read 2,223,294 times
[quote=Deselminator;3143716] I am aware that there are at least 2 breweries (New Belgium & Budweiser) and I assume they allow tours. QUOTE]

There is Odell Brewing and Fort Collins Brewery as well. Both are within 2-3 miles of Old Town and produce amazing beers, just like Coops and New Belgium. CB Potts aka Bighorn Brewing is down on the west end of town but I haven't been a big fan of their beer.

God has given you a gift for moving to Fort Collins, take advantage of it and drink some local beer while you see a live show at the Aggie or Hodi's. There's plenty to do in Fort Collins. Art, music, beer, food, outdoors. Why did I leave...

Fort Collins Local Microbrewery - Odell Brewing Company (http://www.odellbrewing.com/home.aspx - broken link)

Welcome to The Fort Collins Brewery

PS. Coops has some real ale, prolly both pubside and poolside. Take advantage of that too.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,455 times
Default Beer

There is a site at fortcollinsbeer.wordpress.com that has a lot of pretty good info on beer in fort collins. They are still under construction but it looks like its going to be pretty good!

Old 05-04-2009, 05:39 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,637 times
Aside from the beer drinking, I'd say that the activities here are skewed towards those that are outdoor-oriented. (And I prefer to do my beer-drinking outside as well - as long as it's reasonably warm.) Keep in mind that Fort Collins is a relatively small city within an hours' drive of a large metro area. These combined factors make it hard to raise enough money (or generate enough interest) to build a good museum, zoo, or other "urban amenity." That said, we do have a symphony, a decent-sized performing arts center, and an above average number of theater companies per capita.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:14 AM

271 posts, read 995,575 times
When there's a pause in the beer drinking and outdoor activities, is there a place for artists? That is, anything like an art league?

And what about the bookish folk? Book clubs? Writers groups?

Old 05-06-2009, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 11,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebleu View Post
When there's a pause in the beer drinking and outdoor activities, is there a place for artists? That is, anything like an art league?

And what about the bookish folk? Book clubs? Writers groups?
Annie, Laura Pritchett is an award-winning author who lives in her native Fort Collins, and would know about the bookish stuff. Reach out to her, I'm sure she'd love to help you. You'll find her at Laura Pritchett
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area