U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 06:18 PM

8 posts, read 11,813 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I may have an employment opportunity in Ft Collins, so I have been researching somewhere to live.
It seems that the rentals in the Greely area are quite reasonable.
Is there a good reason for that? Or is it just cheaper there?

I would only be there for a year whilst I found a permanent location for the whole family.

Your thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Alan
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 06:26 PM

715 posts, read 1,810,028 times
The commute between Fort Collins and Greeley will not be something you will want to do for very long.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:39 PM

Thanks Mike. Good input.

Why is that? distance?, traffic? weather? road conditions?

Old 09-18-2017, 06:46 PM

23,083 posts, read 42,229,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkatguy View Post
Thanks Mike. Good input.

Why is that? distance?, traffic? weather? road conditions?
All of the above, especially the distance, drive time and winter driving conditions make it an ugly drive.

Greeley is a decent town, a college town and a working town with a large meat packing plant plus huge cattle feed lots out east on the prairie.

Get as close to Fort Collins as you can afford, a good nearby choice would be Windsor.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,174 posts, read 45,329,414 times
what part of FC is the job?

traffic is miserable, so stay close.

the commute is not a big problem between FC and Greeley. I did it for 7 yrs of school, probably missed one day / yr due to weather, since school was 'optional', and work was not.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:10 PM

SR,

The job is near Walmart, Lemay Ave area.

All, Thanks for the valuable input.

As a comparison, I drive 7 miles each way to work now and it can be anything from 20mins to 55mins typically each way. I don't know if that's good or bad by Colorado standards.

Last edited by meerkatguy; 09-18-2017 at 07:30 PM..

Old 09-19-2017, 02:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,174 posts, read 45,329,414 times
With that location, stay NE of town, or if In FC, East of RR tracks. Look near PVMC (Hospital, and the older Woodward Governor site) nice neighborhoods for family and <10 min to work.

for CHEAP(er), you could look at Ault / Pierce / or "Watch-Nunn-Grow" (Quite small towns, but might be nice for elementary school age). Higher end... Wellington (getting pretty suburban / not CHEAP as it was yrs ago). Further east and AG centric (usually good schools) is Galeton. My sis taught there in early 70's... FC vs, Galeton social life is VERY DIFFERENT... +/-... (Personally I will take driving a dusty pickup with a dog standing on the fuel tank, Plus... pie socials and community chili feeds, community 4H projects, and helping neighbors farm and care for livestock... to running kids around several places / day to soccer, gymnastics, swimming, dance, little league, and keeping up with the 2018 SUV's needed for soccer moms. (just a very different emphasis on Quality vs QUANTITY of life. again, different strokes for different folks...we need all kinds, do what is best for your family... it goes by FAST!)
If kids are young, live very close to work if possible and you have a flexible schedule to come home during day / between meetings... If kids are in High School... they will not be home anyway! (Except to clean out the refrigerator 1-2x / day)

My trucking terminal was on East Vine, quite near you, but I was coming from the SW of FC, so had to endure trains and College Ave Traffic. (not by choice). Fortunately College went to blicking traffic lights ~ 1AM - 5AM, so at least I could go home FAST! (usually 3-5AM if WY weather was not too bad)

Today... I WILL NOT commute across FC... E-W or N-S (YMMV) I would rather drive to your location from Briggsdale than from Loveland or Horsetooth. (probably faster, yet 5x as far)

Old 09-19-2017, 07:10 PM

3,807 posts, read 5,044,796 times
The problem with trying to commute between Greeley and Fort Collins is a combination of traffic and weather. I made the commute for 8 years, and by the end I would not recommend anybody does that.

The problem is that many people commute between the 2 cities each way, what should be a 35 minute commute is now nearly an hour on a good day, and when the wind is blowing snow from the north it is even worse as there is little to stop it along highway 34 west of Greeley to the interstate. Quickly making it icy with way to many cars trying to get through there. I have heard of it taking people more than 2 hours to make that drive now during the rush hour times.

Other than that Greeley is fine, and is not a bad town.

Truth is you should look closer to Fort Collins, Livermore and Wellington are both within 20 minutes of where you will be working, and the price for rentals if you can find one is considerably cheaper than Fort Collins.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:47 AM

27 posts, read 37,158 times
The biggest thing with Greeley is you would want to be as far west as you can get. Where you are located there can have a major impact on your commute time.

Ault or Eaton would be some other options if you are OK with smaller towns. Ault would be a straight shot on CO-14.

I think someone else mentioned this, but with your work location you want to stay east of the railroad tracks. Hitting a train at the wrong time in Fort Collins can really screw up your day

Old 10-26-2017, 06:18 AM

Thanks guys....great info.
I'm sure I'll have more questions nearer the time.

Cheers,

Alan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area