Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 08:58 AM

1,046 posts, read 749,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I don't see any "Western/cowboy stuff" here in the Loveland-Fort Collins area, so, I'm a bit baffled by what you are referring to. What in this area constitutes "Western/cowboy"? We have the fairly modern cities, and away from them, large tracks of land and people rarely seen. Maybe Greeley?
Many western events occur at The Ranch (Larimer County Event Complex). Mile High Shoot Out is happening this weekend there. Go check it out, you can watch roping and team penning. The little kids will amaze you. Have fun and check out some "Western/cowboy stuff."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Funny, but we watched a couple of homemade dvd video's the other night showing things we went thru while living in Englewood/Greenwood Village and Parker.

A snow blizzard that hit in March 2003, where 90% of the vehicles in the apt. complex parking lot were totally covered in snow. I went outside the apt we had then, in Englewood/Greenwood Village and the snow came up past my knees. After the blizzard, a construction front-loader put the snow in piles so dump trucks could take it out.

Then came the 2006 Holiday Blizzard, when we had our house in Parker. That was during the week of Christmas.

Going to the Budweiser Plant, going to the Larimer County Fair, going to an Air Show in either Longmont or Loveland. Ranch Rodeo in Colorado Springs, the National Western Stock Show And Rodeo in Denver, CFD, Balloon Festival at Chatfield Reservoir and other things.

Had smiles on our faces as we watched the dvd's.
IMO Loveland is a great place to retire, you already know the climate. It really isn't that much different however they seem to have more windy periods than farther south.

The biggest blizzard I recall was in 1982 on Christmas Eve, though my mom says we had a pretty big one when I was really little. We were part of the 4X4 crew taking stranded travelers out of Stapleton to hotels and stuff. Literally had to winch our Jeep to light poles in the middle of Denver to break open some of the roads in places. Crazy.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:19 AM

8,882 posts, read 20,249,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
Many western events occur at The Ranch (Larimer County Event Complex). Mile High Shoot Out is happening this weekend there. Go check it out, you can watch roping and team penning. The little kids will amaze you. Have fun and check out some "Western/cowboy stuff."
We know there is western stuff that goes on, but just like in other parts of Colorado, not everyone is interested in that western stuff. I remember reading a reply in the Denver forum where a person wanted the National Stock Show and Rodeo put somewhere else in Colorado. Of course they were told "isn't going to happen".

Funny, roping was my event...…."heading" type.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
We know there is western stuff that goes on, but just like in other parts of Colorado, not everyone is interested in that western stuff. I remember reading a reply in the Denver forum where a person wanted the National Stock Show and Rodeo put somewhere else in Colorado. Of course they were told "isn't going to happen".

Funny, roping was my event...…."heading" type.
They wanted to move the venue out to east of Aurora (I think)... then examined the dollars being brought in and did a quick about-face.

It is a pain bringing in a horse trailer (especially one with an LQ) through the heavy traffic on I-70 and then getting down Brighton Blvd. to get to the trailer lot...

I never roped but I did enjoy penning for awhile.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
They wanted to move the venue out to east of Aurora (I think)... then examined the dollars being brought in and did a quick about-face.

It is a pain bringing in a horse trailer (especially one with an LQ) through the heavy traffic on I-70 and then getting down Brighton Blvd. to get to the trailer lot...

I never roped but I did enjoy penning for awhile.

Nice to hear from someone that knows horses and has worked cattle (penning). I tried penning once, but swung a loop a whole lot better.

From what I can remember, the one time, for a Sunday go-around, at the National Stock Show & Rodeo, a snowstorm, more like blizzard, hit the area. We had to take a shuttle to the parking lot and it was snowing and wind blowing so much, I could barely see my wife walking beside me, let alone see where our truck was parked. But, we found it and slipped the old transmission into 4-wheel drive and had windshield wipers going full blast. It was slow going south, to Parker, but we made it. We both went to work the next day, but it wasn't exactly easy.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Nice to hear from someone that knows horses...
Been around them most of my life but now... moving on. House is sold, we close in a couple of weeks (knocking on wood) and I look at that empty barn back there... so many memories. Hope the new people enjoy/use it as much as I did. We have been cutting the pasture for the lack of grazing (but not enough to bale it).

I lost my once in a lifetime horse 2 years ago (he was 32, severely foundered). Raised him from a baby. Then I sold my last gelding (another raised from a colt) to a gentleman in Montana last Sept. Still a pretty big hole in my heart remains from not having at least one horse in my life. Sigh.

Anyway... there are plenty of open places near Loveland if you want to start up the horse habit... Masonville, east of I-25... up toward Ft. Collins and beyond. There is also Virginia Dale area if Wyoming suits...

Old 06-26-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Been around them most of my life but now... moving on. House is sold, we close in a couple of weeks (knocking on wood) and I look at that empty barn back there... so many memories. Hope the new people enjoy/use it as much as I did. We have been cutting the pasture for the lack of grazing (but not enough to bale it).

I lost my once in a lifetime horse 2 years ago (he was 32, severely foundered). Raised him from a baby. Then I sold my last gelding (another raised from a colt) to a gentleman in Montana last Sept. Still a pretty big hole in my heart remains from not having at least one horse in my life. Sigh.

Anyway... there are plenty of open places near Loveland if you want to start up the horse habit... Masonville, east of I-25... up toward Ft. Collins and beyond. There is also Virginia Dale area if Wyoming suits...
Nope, no more horses for me. At two different times, had a gelding. One was a rope horse, the other just a trail one.

Today, at age 69, will only do a little work on our boat and vehicle. My manual labor days are pretty much all but gone.

But wife and I are still huge fans of PRCA rodeo or any other western event.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:00 AM

34 posts, read 24,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'm curious why the strong insistence on Loveland. What is it about the town that is so special and gravitating to you?

It's a huge country, and there are many places not like Florida. If you like the west, but also want to avoid humidity, AZ, NM, and western TX might all be possibilities.

As someone who now struggles with money and costs - since moving to Colorado - I'd strongly recommend against moving to a high-cost area such as this. Sure, some places are more expensive (northeast, west coast, etc.) but this is more towards the high end than low end. Everything seems more expensive than it should be, especially compared to the south. I'd estimate that expenses are about 150-200% more than where I previously lived, which gets shocking after awhile. It's an awful feeling to continue to see savings totals steadily drop. And I'm still of working age. I'll also add that we are very "lean" and simple as to expenses. We don't want or need much, but that isn't enough to stop "the slide". If we were younger, we'd have more flexibility in handling "damage control", but in later years, these matters become much more critical.

I'll also add that visiting doesn't always tell the full story. We visited the area first before deciding to move. The encouraging impression we initially got, and negative one we now have, are two very different "realities". I'm sure many here don't like what I say, but I feel a strong need to be a voice of concern and caution, especially if one isn't of very strong financial footing, and has healthy options as to affordability for the future.
I know you wrote this last yr. Thanks! Husband & I want to leave Missouri.

So Colorado is a terrarium? Not what I want to hear. We live in a bluff valley terrarium right now and hate it.

It seems as if everything I read is not really that positive toward moving to CO. Really an eye opener.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,552 posts, read 57,471,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Mountains View Post
I know you wrote this last yr. Thanks! Husband & I want to leave Missouri.

So Colorado is a terrarium? Not what I want to hear. We live in a bluff valley terrarium right now and hate it.

It seems as if everything I read is not really that positive toward moving to CO. Really an eye opener.
very true and wise,
I feel a strong need to be a voice of concern and caution, especially if one isn't of very strong financial footing, and has healthy options as to affordability for the future.

Colorado relocation is very popular as it has been since 1960's. That brings growing pains and necessary changes. Be alert, be prepared for additional changes, in 20 yrs it will not be the place you moved to. (nor are most, certainly not DESIRABLE places).

No Place is perfect, tho living in Switzerland was close (They do not allow USA retirement refugees). Nearby Spain and Italy do allow!

Colo is nice (30 yrs there), as are many other options. (In MO today, looking around for options...)

Old 06-30-2018, 12:25 PM

Well, we’ve already stated this, but will again (no problem):

We already know what winter is like there, having lived 28 miles south of Denver for 5 1/2 years. The Front Range has changed, somewhat, since we left in Oct 2007, but the rodeo action, freshwater lakes, RMNP elk “rut”, beautiful outdoor Christmas decor and other small town events (outside of Denver metro) are all still there. Yes the area has changed, but still has our favorite things to do and see.

Colorado is like here in northeastern Florida, where we currently live.....there are those that love it, or will love it and those that absolutely won’t. As for us, we no longer like it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area