Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 11:08 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times

Advertisements

Been here for 2 1/2 months and we have definitely heard what the longtime Seniors here think of what's happened to Loveland. Actually, on Tuesday and Wednesday AM, a lot of Seniors go to the McDonalds on the west end of Loveland. That is where we asked some, "what do you think of Loveland today?" Some of the comments were: "to many people", "to much traffic", "Loveland is no longer a family city" (as far as they are concerned). "We liked it so much better when it was much slower paced and people didn't drive so darn fast".
"The city has been taken over by young folks that seem to have very little respect for longtime residents/Seniors."

The ones that we talked to, told us they'd never go to the eastern end of Loveland (other side of I-25) for anything. When we told them that we've been to both the big theater and Best Buy there, they said "how could you stand it?" We told them, "we went to the same type of theater and "big box stores" when we lived in Jacksonville, FL." Then, the topic would turn into "why were you living in Florida? We'd never live in The South or Florida."

And, yes, young folks with numerous tattoos came into the conversations as well. One Senior told us, concerning the topic of tattoos, "Loveland is becoming Denver or Los Angeles very quickly. The traffic is definitely worse down there, but some other things are the same as here."

Well, where we are currently living, does seem like a college dormitory, with all of the young folks that live in the apartment complex. Have never lived in a complex with so many young people living here. "Young" meaning...….young enough to be our children or even grandchildren. Our one neighbor is 25 years old...….grandchild age.

The way I see it is, either all of the young folks will have to leave, which isn't going to happen, or, all of the Seniors will and that definitely isn't going to happen.

Most likely, next year at this time we will be living in a different area and keep our boat here in Loveland.

What do you think of the Seniors here versus the young folks here?

Old 10-28-2019, 01:30 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Back in the Baltimore area we had a group of old retired railroad engineers who gathered every morning in a coffee shop. Railroaders being a rather direct group of folks they simply referred to themselves as "The Liars Club."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-28-2019, 02:04 PM

Actually, I thought wife and I complained about Jacksonville quite a bit, when we lived there. HOWEVER, the Seniors here seem to outdo us with their complaining.

Old 10-28-2019, 03:49 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,386,675 times
Classic old fart syndrome combined with some NorCo homerism. Its a generational tradition in how creative each successive group of seniors can find to be discontent with each successive group of generations behind them. Since I was born into a family with 5 generations alive at one time, I've heard these complaints most of my life from my elders. I now find myself pick ingup on some of the sentiment from time to time as well and have to laugh when my wife points it out to me.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:15 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Classic old fart syndrome combined with some NorCo homerism. Its a generational tradition in how creative each successive group of seniors can find to be discontent with each successive group of generations behind them. Since I was born into a family with 5 generations alive at one time, I've heard these complaints most of my life from my elders. I now find myself pick ingup on some of the sentiment from time to time as well and have to laugh when my wife points it out to me.
Hey! You kids get off my lawn...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Well, to tell the truth, I really don't see it as "old fart syndrome", but more like the "reality" of what has happened to Loveland. At least that "reality" is somewhat of what we've seen since being here. Lots of tattoos, some body piercings and fast driving drivers. A lot of young drivers absolutely hate the 35mph speed limit on Eisenhower Blvd, let alone the 30mph speed on some side streets.

Yesterday, a young driver drove by me in our complex...…….no front bumper and wearing a skeleton mask. Sort of freaky looking to me, but.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:46 PM

On Saturday afternoon, I talked with a young lady who was visiting a friend in our complex. I noticed multiple tattoos on her arms and legs. She told me her parents are from Loveland. She also told me "This use to be my parents city, but not anymore. It's our city now", referring to her age bracket.
And, even though there are still a number of Seniors living in Loveland, I can truly see this young girls point about the majority of age bracket that lives here.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:27 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times
It's just a sign of the times (tattoos, legal pot, lack of respect of elders, traditional values, etc), mixed with young people drawn to the area (legal pot, tattoos, beer, and all the rocky mountain high mystique / trendiness), and some kind of desirability of CO in general. No surprises there. What you see is what you get is what you should expect.

I'm not as old as the OP, but I still don't care for the ... what can we say... age imbalance? But I'm not drawn to this area, and I don't intend on staying. So, in the end, I don't have a problem. I recognize that it's not a good fit. The youth tend to not care for older and traditional ways, and there's a whopper of amount of them around northern CO. But stodgy grumpy old pharts aren't appealing either. I'm looking elsewhere, and it's not just to the "end of the block". It's much farther way, and a place with a better balance of all ages, with traditional ways tending to be more established and visible. Instead of complaining, I'm moving forward without whining and griping.

If you're going to live here, you're going to have to quickly learn to accept the realities. Or you can relocate. That's about it. Make your choice and get over it. Make your bed and sleep in it. Outward bellyaching over unchangeable matters does no one any good. If you want to insult your age group, and look feeble and pathetic, just keep carrying on with the moaning and groaning.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-28-2019 at 09:49 PM..

Old 10-28-2019, 10:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
1) I would fully EXPECT what you are hearing from seniors hanging around McDonalds for coffee (not the most 'progressive bunch')... Loveland has changed a LOT for LT residents (very much in last 60 yrs / quite a bit every yr) and not much for the better for seniors looking for a sustainable / affordable lifestyle. But... it is, what it is, and not what someone WANTS it to be. (as is anyplace NOW.)
2) I would put ZERO value in what you are hearing.... (live your own life, not someone else's life.)
3) I know plenty of very well adjusted seniors who have lived in Loveland for 50+ yrs and are 'dealing-with-it' (None-of them 'coffee-at-McD'), they are busy enjoying and volunteering and HELPING their community (youth and seniors).
4) I have a few friends (like me) who have LEFT Loveland due to growth issues. +/-. None of us have found nirvana, honestly... it is tough to improve on Loveland as a retirement destination (depending on your interests / desires / tolerance).
5) There are MANY great choices near Loveland that might better suit you. Retired friends from AZ moved to Nunn, CO and really like it. Other friends live in Wellington, and Carr, CO. Personally, with your interests, I would look to Red Feather Lakes as a possibility.
6) IIRC you were also considering WY. Go spend a couple months there (rent a furnished place, so you don't have to move).

If I were in the habit of disparaging young kids with tattoos, I would expect some 'push-back' / negative thoughts, interactions / conversations / experiences.

live your own life, not someone else's life.

BTW... I'm currently in Jacksonville, FL (Penney Farms)
Having a great time with great people who love it here. I will be attending (and helping) with a community event next weekend. (likely including some kids with tattoos). Would I move here? No. Is that a problem for me? (NO) Is that a problem for others? (I don't know, I am only here to help and encourage them, and assure they are as HAPPY and content as they can be!) I hope they continue to LOVE it here. I will find my own nesting place. (probably in Loveland for a few seasons, but not forever)

Old 10-28-2019, 11:24 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
LoveBoating, what you are reporting happens every day in hundreds, no thousands, of small towns all over the country and even the world. And the old farts sitting around complaining about the young people were once the young people that their elders complained about. A story that has repeated over and over again for centuries. Nothing new!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area