Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 11:22 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times

Advertisements

^ No, it wasn't about legality, fees, and rules. It involved exactly what I stated previously.

I was told by my neighbors (on the day my family moved in) to: "Get those damn things off and change to CO plates before you get run off the road!" It had nothing to do with timing of being a resident, or rules. It was pure cultural venom. If anything, that might give people incentive to move slower on updating their plates (why reward other peoples' stupid attitude?)

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-30-2019 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 12:04 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
^ No, it wasn't about legality, fees, and rules. It involved exactly what I stated previously.

I was told by my neighbors to: "Get those damn things off and change to CO plates before you get run off the road!" It had nothing to do with timing of being a resident, or rules. It was pure cultural venom. If anything, that might give people incentive to move slower on updating their plates (why reward other peoples' stupid attitude?)
You seem to think that Colorado has a monopoly on anti-Texas bias. Disdain for Texans is pretty much universal. I have relatives in Wisconsin who gave me grief on multiple occasions for living in Dallas. The honest truth is nobody outside of Texas cares about Texas as deeply and as vocally as Texans do.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:08 PM

^ Blah blah blah. You need to drop your obsession with Texas. You're always bringing it up on the CO forum, where no one is interested.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:09 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
^ Blah blah blah. You really need to drop your obsession with Texas. You can't seem to think or talk about anything else.
If that ain't the pot calling the kettle black...

Old 01-30-2019, 12:20 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Nobody says a word about out-of-state plates here in our area...…..and there are plenty of them. Some are "Snowbirds", but definitely not all of them. We know a "Snowbird" couple who have kept their Michigan plates/tags for years. The Navy here no longer requires a Base sticker on a vehicle to get on a Base. Just the Navy person's I.D.. Actually, I have many times wondered how a person/family can keep their vehicle registered in another state and still live here on a full-time basis.

Newcomers who have paid for a new registration/plate, and it is costly, will get disgusted with those that will live in an area and don't fork out the money for new registration/plate.

I will always suggest (note the word "suggest") to those moving to a new state, to register their vehicle with that state and get that states plates. People may honk at them, or even "flip them off", for how they are driving, but at least it won't be for displaying an out-of-state license plate that is truly not liked.

Just my thinking.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:19 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,046,764 times
Quote:
Can you give me an example of a newcomer/transplant coming and purposely changing anything? A specific example of someone deliberately trying to change his/her new area?

It's easy to throw around the "transplants want to change their new state" theory, but I've never seen a case of that. I've made it a point to continually ask others for specifics, as well as keep an eye out myself, but still no proof. I'd say it's nothing but more than bunk and rubbish. It's just people repeating the same tired old assumption in place of real observation. It also reveals an inward discrimination towards the "different people". It's no longer veiled and hidden once that cat gets out of the bag...
To your point, I'd guess the major way newcomers change an area (to the displeasure of the natives) is in how the newcomers vote. Colorado wasn't nearly this blue years ago, for example.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:31 PM

^ But are they involved in a plot to change the overall state color? That's the sentiment that gets thrown around here. They would have to be spread out through the state, with detailed and organized plans that we could see and intercept. Again, no proof, and no grounds for such allegations. That's just more carrying on by natives in autopilot mode.

To throw another monkey wrench in the myth-making, where we've moved to since, we have neighbors from CA who are hardcore Republicans. But that's inconvenient right? Run away and stick your head in the sand so you don't see conflicting information.

People vote as the choose, which is their legal right, and nothing you can take away. As hard as it is to face, we all have equal power and say. Natives have no automatic bonus and extra points. Disagreement over voting happens in all other states. Many of them create no issue over it though, or to the extent here, so good for them.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-30-2019 at 02:03 PM..

Old 01-30-2019, 07:14 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,046,764 times
No, I don't think it's an organized conspiracy by newcomers to change Colorado's color. It's likely a lot of factors, including the following: the legalization of MJ, which attracts liberals; high tech jobs being filled by millennials (usually liberal); and the enviro-green movement, which strongly leans liberal (blue).

Long-time Colo residents, like my dear late Aunt/Uncle, would be appalled what Colorado has become these days.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
All this fuss over out-of-state plates, in supposedly a free country. ...
CO is the only state I've lived where I've encountered that mentality.()...petty and shallow? Over time I saw that the answer was indeed "yes".
And how many states have you seen an official looking "NATIVE" plate? (1 = Greenie) , only in CO AFAIK, Probably Oregon too... (Another 'group-think' state)
Referring to Oregon’s tourist industry in a 1971 speech, McCall may have first publicly voiced his famous “Come visit, don’t stay” slogan: “I urge them to come and come many, many times to enjoy the beauty of Oregon. But I also ask them, for heaven’s sake, don’t move here to live.”
Simple...

Follow the rules and...
1) Get your income tax free SD Domicile including DL. (only one 'over-night' per lifetime required)
2) Create your MT LLC to own, register, insure your rolling, floating, flying stock that needs licensing
3) Exercise caution to COMPLY with required rules!

BTW: many vehicles qualify for LIFETIME plates in MT! No more waiting in DMV line in CO.

repeat... Please be legal (this is not difficult, this can be done 100% legally). Many FT RV'rs do it for practical reasons.

DO NOT do this to purposely to avoid taxes and fees and emission testing!
but... there may be many 'intelligent / rationale' reasons that make very good (and legal) business sense.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:49 PM

256 posts, read 617,029 times
Such a silly thread. We have driven through Colorado east to west and north to south and never had any harassment about our California license plate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area