Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 10:32 AM

127 posts, read 234,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
My wife says both of you are bullying me
Edith's Edict ;-)

Old 02-05-2019, 10:33 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener View Post
Going to church doesn't make one a Christian any more than parking in a garage makes one a car.
Talk about Christians any way you want, but we are Christians, just like my wife's sister is. We both love Jesus and his father, God.

We are staying here, but moving to a different complex. There.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:37 AM

[1] Judge not, that ye be not judged.
[2] For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
[3] And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
[4] Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
[5] Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
we are Christians, just like my wife's sister is.
The Internet version of a compelling argument ;-)

Old 02-05-2019, 10:47 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
[1] Judge not, that ye be not judged.
[2] For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
[3] And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
[4] Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
[5] Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
Thank you NBeener. What needed to be said and remembered. The authentic, genuine article; the real-deal.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
No one is bullying you. It's good that you listen to your wife but listen to us too, we're doing all we can to offer advice that's worth every cent you're paying for it.
Ok, but there are those that would definitely call it "bullying". And, this "listen to us too"...……..WHY?? After what's been said to me on this thread, why on earth would I want to continue being "told off" and called names?

Old 02-05-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
IMO Loveland isn't the only place that LB should consider. There are other towns in that region which are also good fits .... like Windsor, or the west side of Greeley (which has rodeo). Basically I think anything along the highway 85 corridor from Nunn down to Platteville and everything east of there to the mountains. I don't see a need to focus on just Loveland. Jobs aren't an issue so why not look far and wide?
But, a living area was an issue. Can't buy a home or condo, so have to rent an apartment...…...and, in a nicer/safe area.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:12 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
LoveBoating, if you really truly feel that you are being bullied, JUST WALK AWAY! It is so easy. It's not like anyone is getting in your face physically. YOU are making the choice to continue posting here and reading responses. So you must enjoy being bullied.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:26 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
And you know where you were then
Girls were girls and men were men
Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again
*sigh*

Did you see the movie, Mule?

In it, the guy that Clint Eastwood portrays uses non-PC terms for Hispanics and blacks, and in another scene he mistakes a broadbreamed bunch of women on Harleys for guys, calling one of them, “Son” while offering a helpful piece of info. He was also helping the black couple fix a flat tire.

He may or may not have been more than superficially racist, but the overriding thing is that he just could not keep his opinions to himself. Some people consider unsolicited opinions from a majority group very patronizing. That is probably what made the young black tattooed guy bristle at LB’s “nice” comment on the tats.

As a minority myself, I have occasionally had to shrug off such comments. Comments that might appear to be compliments sometimes are false-faced digs at one’s race, religion, or whatever.

To me, it reflects not the commenter’s self-assigned superiority, but his or her ignorance or insecurity.

In a world where people increasingly think their two cents’ worth is broadcast-worthy, you need to grow a thicker skin...and learn to sniff out the real haters. They aren’t always the vocal ones.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:29 PM

pikabike-

Yours is a really interesting comment.

I'm a bit stumped, though, by the opening "*sigh*." My reference to the "All In The Family" theme song was a gentle way of pointing out how much a certain kind of person reminds me of Archie Bunker, not the Aryan Brotherhood. It's all a matter of degree.

Neither I nor anybody else that I see is calling anybody the truly dangerous, vile, contemptible kind of bigot that we all know of. Like the Eastwood character you describe (I have never seen "The Mule," though I did see "Gran Torino," and think there may be similarities), I'm reminded much more of Archie than of a Grand Wizard.

To quote a Smithsonian.com article that describes the venerable sitcom well in this respect:

Quote:
The dilapidated aesthetic [of the Bunkers' home] mirrored Archie’s character traits; he was retrograde, incapable of dealing with the modern world, a simpleton left behind by the social upheavals of the 1960s and 1970s, a pathetically displaced “historical loser.” Lear used him as a device to make racism and sexism look foolish and unhip, but liberals protested that as a “loveable bigot,” Archie actually made intolerance acceptable. Lear had intended to create a satirical and exaggerated figure, what one TV critic called “hardhat hyperbole,” but not everyone got the joke.

Archie was relatable to audience members who felt stuck in dead end jobs with little hope of upward mobility, and who were similarly bewildered by the new rules of political correctness. To these white conservative viewers, he represented something of a folk hero. They purchased “Archie for President” memorabilia unironically and sympathized with his longing for the good old days. Archie was both the emotional center of “All in the Family” and the clear target of its ridicule.
In the same way that "Blazing Saddles" wasn't bigotry but made fun of bigots and bigotry, I invoked the "All In The Family" theme song lyrics as a device to evoke a memory of Archie Bunker.

I strongly suspect that this (Archie Bunker) mentality will still have its fans. I just don't happen to be one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area