Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 09:05 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times

Advertisements

Ok, what's this all about? Apparently, reading from my iPhone FC News App, there were protestors at this event, but there are others that were glad it happened. There are those that say small/young children shouldn't be involved to this. It was stated that the organization that put this on, wants to bring more tolerance to the area.

Wife and I, in our early 70's, and making plans on moving to Loveland, are really, really wondering about this now. Is Windsor becoming more like Denver or the Springs?

Just wondering?

Old 01-14-2019, 09:17 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Well, this area draws people from other locations and cultures, including the west coast (not that the topic is limited to just there). Obviously, there was a lot of interest for the library to want to host the event, and some 80 people cramming the room to be there. One of the library officials allegedly exclaimed '“The energy level was amazing in that room.”

I won't say anything about the growing "new" culture here, but it is quite different from my roots. If you move here, you have to be ready to put up with anything deemed okay and acceptable. The protestors were/are unlikely to change anything. They aren't exactly "speaking to the choir" on the large scale, so in the minority.

Those who want to "bring more tolerance" will obviously choose CO over the south and the Bible belt, so there is a welcoming factor to some extent.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-14-2019 at 09:32 AM..

Old 01-14-2019, 09:41 AM

It definitely isn't our roots either. When my wife called me at her break, I told her about the article and she said "oh no". "Little children being submitted to this is definitely wrong in my book (as well as mine). Why are they going after a small town like Windsor? I could understand this happening in FC, but FC is twice the size and population of Loveland." I totally understand what she is saying, but.

But, as you (Thoreau424) stated about moving here, you're right. Thing is, the area is what we both really, really miss...…..that is, the western end of Eisenhower Blvd.. But, if we can't find an apartment that will match our finances, we may have to live in some part of FC. Don't really want that, but.

But, having this event in Windsor is sort of odd, but what is more odd, is the people who wanted it to happen there.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:15 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
if we can't find an apartment that will match our finances, we may have to live in some part of FC. Don't really want that.

...having this event in Windsor is sort of odd, but what is more odd, is the people who wanted it to happen there.
Keep in mind that FC has pride parades, just so you aren't caught by surprise. Yes, a segment of Windsor wanted that. Many don't see it as odd in any way.

The official meeting notice was here, if you are interested:
https://clearviewlibrary.org/event/1351841

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-14-2019 at 11:20 AM..

Old 01-14-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Keep in mind that FC has pride parades, just so you aren't caught by surprise. Yes, a segment of Windsor wanted that. Many don't see it as odd in any way.
We didn't know about the parades, but did know that Denver has a major pride parade. We'd never choose to live inside Denver anyway.

Guess there's always that chance that either, or both, Windsor and Loveland could become the Parker we visited last July. We were pretty shocked to see how much Parker has grown since we left there in Oct 2007.

We also know that there are those that like FC much more than Loveland, due to the entertainment and stores that are there.

There are those, like us, that are very, very uncomfortable with certain ways of life and are told to simply accept it. What about those that absolutely refuse to? Does the family of a 4 year old really want that child to truly understand about Drag Queens? If wife and I had grandchildren, we wouldn't want them to be involved with anything like that. But, then again, that's us.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:06 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Quote:
It definitely isn't our roots either. When my wife called me at her break, I told her about the article and she said "oh no". "Little children being submitted to this is definitely wrong in my book (as well as mine). Why are they going after a small town like Windsor? I could understand this happening in FC, but FC is twice the size and population of Loveland." I totally understand what she is saying, but.

But, as you (Thoreau424) stated about moving here, you're right. Thing is, the area is what we both really, really miss...…..that is, the western end of Eisenhower Blvd.. But, if we can't find an apartment that will match our finances, we may have to live in some part of FC. Don't really want that, but.

But, having this event in Windsor is sort of odd, but what is more odd, is the people who wanted it to happen there.
Little children being "subjected" to what? To people choosing to live their best life? Maybe you could teach the little children some acceptance of people who aren't just like them!

You said, "If wife and I had grandchildren, we wouldn't want them to be involved with anything like that." Again, I have to ask "like what?". If you don't like the parade, then just don't go. They aren't bothering you, unless you choose to let it bother you.

Maybe this discussion should be moved to a different forum. Not really appropriate here, in my opinion.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Little children being "subjected" to what? To people choosing to live their best life? Maybe you could teach the little children some acceptance of people who aren't just like them!

You said, "If wife and I had grandchildren, we wouldn't want them to be involved with anything like that." Again, I have to ask "like what?". If you don't like the parade, then just don't go. They aren't bothering you, unless you choose to let it bother you.

Maybe this discussion should be moved to a different forum. Not really appropriate here, in my opinion.
There ARE those that don’t like the Drag Queen thing. They shouldn’t be criticized because they don’t. Not everyone wants their kids to be “open-minded” and nothing wrong with that either.

You like this Drag Queen thing, fine, but there were protesters there that didn’t.

And, this subject is about the FC area, so it is in the appropriate area!!

Old 01-14-2019, 08:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Ok, what's this all about? Apparently, reading from my iPhone FC News App, there were protestors at this event, but there are others that were glad it happened. There are those that say small/young children shouldn't be involved to this. It was stated that the organization that put this on, wants to bring more tolerance to the area.

Wife and I, in our early 70's, and making plans on moving to Loveland, are really, really wondering about this now. Is Windsor becoming more like Denver or the Springs?

Just wondering?
in a phrase...
Don't sweat the small stuff...
this is small stuff.
1) This is in no way a huge / disruptive event
2) This is Windsor, Not Loveland / Berthoud / Mead / Wiggins... But someday it could be...(and will not be a major event)
3) This is Colorado (social change is happening for last 50 yrs (and before)) and will continue.
4) This does not have to erode your quality of life or value set. (If you don't let it)
5) This is USA, 'stuff happens' +/-;
6) You (being in USA) have free choice...+/- ; There is always Bill, WY!
7) Enjoy your few remaining yrs (that too can happen). If you let it,

Not to freak you out... but that iphone app of yours will at some point strictly control the content of news you are able to receive. It already does in many countries (such as my current location) and it will be so in USA. It can happen in 5 minutes with the addition of a few lines of code. (Which is already embedded). Flip the switch and you are / will be censored. (by Gov or industry or hackers).

Enjoy your day,
Let Freedom ring! +/-

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-14-2019 at 09:00 PM..

Old 01-14-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
in a phrase...
Don't sweat the small stuff...
this is small stuff.
1) This is in no way a huge / disruptive event
2) This is Windsor, Not Loveland / Berthoud / Mead / Wiggins... But someday it could be...(and will not be a major event)
3) This is Colorado (social change is happening for last 50 yrs (and before)) and will continue.
4) This does not have to erode your quality of life or value set. (If you don't let it)
5) This is USA, 'stuff happens' +/-;
6) You (being in USA) have free choice...+/- ; There is always Bill, WY!
7) Enjoy your few remaining yrs (that too can happen). If you let it,
Understood, but wife and I can still be shocked about. I mean, there were protesters there. Yes, it’s just an event, but the protesters, and even Mayor, didn’t like it happening.

But, it sure won’t stop us from moving there! That is for sure.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:43 PM

Wonder if these events are one of the reason there are those American’s who are moving overseas? See it quite a bit on HGTV House Hunters International.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area