Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-19-2019, 09:15 AM
 
226 posts, read 860,125 times
Reputation: 89

Advertisements

Well after many years of looking and watching the house prices rise faster than a speeding bullet it looks like we are finally able to make the move to the Front range (or maybe Evergreen)....but I do have a few questions.
The first is Log Cabins, does anyone know of any advantages/disadvantages to life in a modern log cabin? Any hidden prices, upkeep or climate control issues?

The second is Loveland, specifically downtown, how has it changed over the last 5 years? it's been a while since I was there (and only for a very brief drive by), just wondering how it is these days, good restaurants/shopping/entertainment/safe?

#3 cycling and dog walking, outskirts of Loveland or Fort collins?

#4 Anyone familiar with the Fox Hills development in Fort Collins and the nearby area? I'm not really a development kinda gal but I like how close it is to Horsetooth and the Fossil Creel Trail.

#5 Anyone familiar with the area behind the devils backbone between Loveland and Fort Collins, any thoughts?

Finally the Front range or Evergreen? Hubby needs to get to Den Int Airport frequently, daughter is in Broomfield, son is in Carbondale for now, probably won't stay there forever, another son is going to be going to college in the front range. We like to bike, hike, eat, ski, kayak, walk dogs, watch movies and are keen photographers.

My husband will be in the area this weekend checking out some areas and houses and I'd like to be able to guide him a little from here so he's not aimlessly wandering around...there's a chance he'll get swayed by the micro breweries hahah
Thanks in advance.
Sarah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2019, 01:30 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Reputation: 46182
You have made some good choices. Downtown Loveland is quite nice and plenty of choices for local fare.
Biking superb.

Areas on west side of town, near Thompson River trails is good place to live. (Also near a HS with a lap pool)

I prefer rural west Loveland. Childhood home was near Masonville / Big T school / Devil's Backbone, and would still be my choice for the region (EZ escape to Ft C, Estes P, and WY, and near 'enough' to DEN).

I would draw DH a map and have him canvas the entire area from south east First Street and Chilson Center >>> to... NW quadrant of map at Masonville, CO (Including Carter and Pinewood Lakes) and Waterdale Drive (N CO RD 29). A favorite 'intown' location is West 4th St from Garfield to Taft, centered near First Baptist https://www.mapquest.com/us/colorado...hurch-10045005, or... west of town, near Boedecker Lake. (and west)

Modern Log Cabins in a dry sunny climate are a real chore (maintenance). We built a lot of them near Carter Lake in the 1970's. Building them NEW is very expensive and a lot of work. Buying 'used' log homes is very inexpensive (People are sick of maintenance, and value is nearly equivalent to other types of construction.) A best friend lived in an early 1900's log cabin, near Glenhaven. (in a great shady location). It was really nice and sweet. (as it still is... missed by the floods)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-19-2019 at 01:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2019, 06:40 AM
 
226 posts, read 860,125 times
Reputation: 89
Thank you so much for your reply. I am drawn to the west side of Loveland, it looks like easy access to some really great trails/hikes, and I prefer a place with a little breathing room so it seems to fit the bill. Shame about the modern log cabin, that's my favourite house at the moment, I'll have to do some research on the maintenance, see if it's worth it. You mentioned the HS lap pool, is that open to the public?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2019, 05:55 AM
 
7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
Reputation: 5141
I agree, look towards west end of town, whether in Old Town or the more rural area, both of which are nice. We live in the west end of Old Town, which offers mountain views, plentiful wildlife and abundant access to trails and such.

If you're looking for a pool, the Chilson Center just east of downtown is a nice center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2019, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Heading Northwest In Nevada
8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Reputation: 5654
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw View Post
Well after many years of looking and watching the house prices rise faster than a speeding bullet it looks like we are finally able to make the move to the Front range (or maybe Evergreen)....but I do have a few questions.
The first is Log Cabins, does anyone know of any advantages/disadvantages to life in a modern log cabin? Any hidden prices, upkeep or climate control issues?

The second is Loveland, specifically downtown, how has it changed over the last 5 years? it's been a while since I was there (and only for a very brief drive by), just wondering how it is these days, good restaurants/shopping/entertainment/safe?

#3 cycling and dog walking, outskirts of Loveland or Fort collins?

#4 Anyone familiar with the Fox Hills development in Fort Collins and the nearby area? I'm not really a development kinda gal but I like how close it is to Horsetooth and the Fossil Creel Trail.

#5 Anyone familiar with the area behind the devils backbone between Loveland and Fort Collins, any thoughts?

Finally the Front range or Evergreen? Hubby needs to get to Den Int Airport frequently, daughter is in Broomfield, son is in Carbondale for now, probably won't stay there forever, another son is going to be going to college in the front range. We like to bike, hike, eat, ski, kayak, walk dogs, watch movies and are keen photographers.

My husband will be in the area this weekend checking out some areas and houses and I'd like to be able to guide him a little from here so he's not aimlessly wandering around...there's a chance he'll get swayed by the micro breweries hahah
Thanks in advance.
Sarah
As far as Loveland, the west end, we were there last July 2018. Drove around Loveland quite a bit and found the west end to be........nice, quiet and definitely that "rural" feeling, that we both really like. Packing things right now for our move to there. IOW, highly, highly recommended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2019, 06:42 AM
 
7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
Reputation: 5141
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
As far as Loveland, the west end, we were there last July 2018. Drove around Loveland quite a bit and found the west end to be........nice, quiet and definitely that "rural" feeling, that we both really like. Packing things right now for our move to there. IOW, highly, highly recommended.
I know you've found boat parking, but have you all found an apartment yet? When do you arrive? Things are starting to come up garden wise, so you'll be here just in time for spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2019, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Heading Northwest In Nevada
8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Reputation: 5654
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I know you've found boat parking, but have you all found an apartment yet? When do you arrive? Things are starting to come up garden wise, so you'll be here just in time for spring.
We won't be leaving here until either the first of June or the first of July. From the 5 1/2 years we lived in both Englewood and Parker, we know the last Spring snow can happen on Mother's Day Weekend. Want to move there after that. Have an apartment complex in mind, but if nothing available, will have to find another complex, but not on the east side of Loveland. May have to find something in Ft Collins or Windsor area. Most likely, will have to wait until we arrive to get an apartment. Have Moving Company put our things into a storage unit. Done that before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2019, 05:42 PM
 
9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Reputation: 22124
Evergreen is in the Front Range, with all the amenities and other metro-suburb features.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2019, 09:10 AM
 
226 posts, read 860,125 times
Reputation: 89
[quote=StealthRabbit;54721306]You have made some good choices. Downtown Loveland is quite nice and plenty of choices for local fare.
Biking superb.

Areas on west side of town, near Thompson River trails is good place to live. (Also near a HS with a lap pool)

I prefer rural west Loveland. Childhood home was near Masonville / Big T school / Devil's Backbone, and would still be my choice for the region (EZ escape to Ft C, Estes P, and WY, and near 'enough' to DEN).




Do you have any idea how good the internet is around this area, we have found a house we love here but my husband works from home so he needs fast internet to do conference calls etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2019, 11:26 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Reputation: 46182
Which specific area? Rural / urban? Landmark?

There are several solutions based on specific addy.

Some of my High Tech friends formed their own Wireless distribution network for a particular rural area.
There are many retired / underemployed HP, IBM, Storage Tech, Kodak, Teledyne, engineers in NoCo. + a major push / incubation area for new technologies, inventions, businesses.

I have done lots of international conf calls on my Verizon hotspot (every Sunday night I am in NoCo), since factories in Thailand are starting their work-week on USA Sunday night.

I trust you will have something more available and affordable, but... Verizon has pretty good coverage in NoCo (but not everywhere). Masonville is a dead spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top