U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 07:36 PM

29 posts, read 247,879 times

Advertisements

Hey I am a senior in high school down in Fremont County and I absolutely can not wait to get out of here! I was accepted at UNC and am about 99.999% im going there. My friend who moved up to greeley told me crime in his hood was bad (he said he heard gun shots sometimes and stuff) and warned me bout that. How is Greeley as a whole as far as crime. I dont plan on owning a car during college and actually plan to do my travel mainly by foot or bicycle (my buddy says the bus system is totally unreliable-- opinions plz ) and Id really like to know how safe itd be to walk around especially the areas directly around the University, Downtown, and around St Peters Catholic Church

Thanks so much and also any opinions about UNC or Greeley (how is their downtown?) are welcome
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 10:56 AM

31 posts, read 164,018 times
I have very little personal experience in Greeley as I have never lived there, but my best friend went there for her bachelor's degree. Be careful (especially if you're a girl) walking around alone at night. My friend was in cross country and was running with a friend one evening when a van pulled over and a couple of guys tried to pull my friend's running partner into the van, luckily my friend always carried pepper spray and they were able to get away.

I'm not saying this is typical of Greeley but just something to keep in mind.

On the other hand she had nothing but good things to say about the school and the professors there. The school itself is a great place to learn.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:11 PM

7,499 posts, read 17,459,728 times
We wouldn't live in Greeley........NO WAY!!

Old 12-29-2006, 07:03 PM

29 posts, read 247,879 times
why not? everyone i know at UNC loves it there!

Old 12-30-2006, 02:07 PM

49 posts, read 284,194 times
Over the past two decades, Greeley has changed dramatically. Both in population, and regarding the crime rate, both have skyrocketed. I don’t even live in Colorado anymore, but when I did, (for 48+ years), Greeley was the county seat, in the county in which I had always resided. I knew it well, and I still have friends and family who reside near/in Greeley.

Greeley has a lot of gang-related problems. Greeley is, also, infamously known to be a city where many illegal immigrants embark. Aside from the high crime rate, these two factors also make for a lot of friction in Greeley, and between the Caucasians and Hispanics. This “friction” may not be physically/actually apparent all over/at any time in Greeley, but it is there.

As far as attending UNC, it too has had its recent problems which pertained to prejudice-acting people, or really, just some dope that shot his mouth off in public and shouldn’t’ have. It is a good college however, and I think you, or anyone attending it, should do fine, if you just stick to your studies and don’t become too involved with the social aspect of the area.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:15 AM

7,499 posts, read 17,459,728 times
Munshine tells the truth about Greeley........the real 100% truth!

Old 01-14-2008, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 12,822 times
Default Don't go to UNC!

Hear this! If you are thinking about sending your kid to UNC in Greeley, Colorado, don't. This town is gang infested and the cops do little about it. My kid, delivering pizzas, accidentally bumped into some idiot gang banger in one of their trailer trash neighborhoods and got his butt kicked by a thug who thinks he owns the roads. Such a minor accident that no damage was done, but this guy, who out weighed my son by 100 pounds, got out of his car and proceeded to rant and rave and then started fighting. Turns out, this guy just got out of prison for attempted murder. The cop was hesitant to follow through with the complaint. Ya, this kind of crap goes on all the time and anywhere, but we have heard many stories like ours from many other people. Now, because of this violent ass wipe, my son has to quit UNC and get out of town. Thanks, Greeley.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:00 AM

26 posts, read 234,118 times
Delivering pizzas is a dangerous job.
If you keep to the campus and are not a hot-headed kind of person, you will be fine. There are gangs, but most of it is junior-high wannabe thugs. If you stay away from them and stay out of the seedy neighborhoods, you will be sure to survive.
If you are really worried, get a place on the west end of town where it is safer and more up scale.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:48 PM

7 posts, read 92,667 times
My neighbor called animal control and the law on us because our dog barked for less than a minute at 2 pm. Got ticket, went to court, paid $120 for the ticket. My husband missed work to go to court and that cost us a nice job bonus. Very strange town. Way too much code.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:19 PM

7 posts, read 92,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeley Trash View Post
Hear this! If you are thinking about sending your kid to UNC in Greeley, Colorado, don't. This town is gang infested and the cops do little about it. My kid, delivering pizzas, accidentally bumped into some idiot gang banger in one of their trailer trash neighborhoods and got his butt kicked by a thug who thinks he owns the roads. Such a minor accident that no damage was done, but this guy, who out weighed my son by 100 pounds, got out of his car and proceeded to rant and rave and then started fighting. Turns out, this guy just got out of prison for attempted murder. The cop was hesitant to follow through with the complaint. Ya, this kind of crap goes on all the time and anywhere, but we have heard many stories like ours from many other people. Now, because of this violent ass wipe, my son has to quit UNC and get out of town. Thanks, Greeley.
I am truly sorry about your kid. We called the law 2+ years back when someone busted out my kids car window. We are still waiting for the law to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area