Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 10:11 PM

27 posts, read 112,786 times

Advertisements

After a long weekend in Estes Park, my family ended up staying two nights in Fort Collins. My wife and I instantly fell in love with this town and are considering moving to FC. I am a chicago native, where unions are strong, and a union tradesman can make a nice living for his/her family. Does anyone know what kind of wage an electrician could expect to recieve in that area of CO.......I would also like to ask if the Poudre School DIstrict is as really bad as I have read on other web sites. I have a 4 and 2 year old which will be starting kindergarten and preschool next Fall. ......Any responses would be greatly appreciated and help in our descision to go back for another look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 12:11 PM

28 posts, read 416,360 times
Being a 597 fitter, I had the same questions regarding scale differences etc. From what I have seen, the salaries (for the trades) are considerably lower; and the unions are not as common (or strong) as Chicago. Unfortunately, our brothers (and sisters) in Colorado have a similar cost of living as in Chicago, so the pay cut is a major issue to consider.

Old 12-25-2006, 02:42 AM

Thanks for the reply karabiner. What's the job market like now, is it pretty easy to find work?

Old 12-26-2006, 09:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
As a licensed Commercial or residential electrician, you are not gonna have much trouble getting decent pay and enough work in this fast growing and established industry area. As a Union worker, you might need to commute to keep at peak $$, but... Laramie, (1hr) and Cheyenne (45 min) and Denver (1 hr) are booming, and Greeley, Loveland, Longmont are all very prosperous and diverse (not gonna fall off an 'energy / fad' / cliff) Tho there might be a slight downturn in housing starts, I'd stick with commercial / industrial work, and you should be in good shape, and not competing with 'illegals' / or cost undercutting. Colorado is pretty conservative, and you have much less risk of shoddy / shaddy employers in industry.

For schools... there are some good public schools, but... most of my friends have used the excellent choices of private schools in Ft Collins. (I know more $$... ), but...then you can always homeschool (we did that, it is not ez...) But, generally finding a rural school with good community support will be a plus, and highly available in your area of choice. I might consider living out east towards Ault (farming community) just for that reason. ( I can get you in touch with an elementary teacher in Ft Collins, (native of IL) but she teaches at a private school, likely biased)

Old 12-27-2006, 06:22 AM

4 posts, read 16,308 times
Smile Checking out schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboshanz View Post
After a long weekend in Estes Park, my family ended up staying two nights in Fort Collins. My wife and I instantly fell in love with this town and are considering moving to FC. I am a chicago native, where unions are strong, and a union tradesman can make a nice living for his/her family. Does anyone know what kind of wage an electrician could expect to recieve in that area of CO.......I would also like to ask if the Poudre School DIstrict is as really bad as I have read on other web sites. I have a 4 and 2 year old which will be starting kindergarten and preschool next Fall. ......Any responses would be greatly appreciated and help in our descision to go back for another look.
As in most communities there are good and bad schools, my family and I are relocating to Fort Collins with 2 High School age children and although each of the HS in Fort Collins received High/Excellent scores on www.greatschools.net one poster on this site suggested we look at the elementary and middle school scores in order to have a better understanding as to the make up of the neighborhoods. This certainly helped in narrowing down the areas that we will look to reside in.

There are elementary schools in Fort Collins that received great marks. Good luck to you and your family!

Sharon in NYC

Old 12-27-2006, 10:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafrique View Post
... relocating to Fort Collins with 2 High School age children ...
I'm pretty sure in CO there is also the choice of HS kids using a jr college or University for Jr and Sr HSyr., as there is here in WA and also OR. It can be a good choice depending on the kid and their interests. Both of ours were apprehensive, but stayed involved in HS sports, yet completed their AA at same time as HS. Thus 2 yrs edu and $$ (It was free ) ahead of the pack, and more mature to handle college freedoms . They were happy to grad college with only 2 yr expenses (debt).

Do be advised they may need to take a college entrance examine as a HS sophomore (which here they only offer 2x/yr).

Our friends in Ft C, had mentioned that they had that opportunity. (college vs. vs HS)

Old 12-31-2006, 01:03 AM

Thanks for the great replies, It really helped us decide to go back for another look, but this time a little more educated about the area and schools. We are planning a trip out there for the end of february. Thanks again!

Old 01-02-2007, 08:10 AM

31 posts, read 172,582 times
I am not in a trade union, but I recently relocated from Colorado to Chicago. Colorado is a wonderful place to live, and as an electrican you will not have to search long for work, but the wages you'll get in Colorado no matter your vocation will not really compare to Chicago. I was shocked at how much my wages increased when I moved here.

However, the cost of housing can be significantly less if you're willing to live a little further from town and it's just a great place to live. Best of luck to you.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:31 PM

I hope you are enjoying yourself in Chi-town. Thanks for the reply .

Old 01-05-2007, 08:52 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,167,692 times
If you are willing to work, then the Colorado economy is booming right now. The effective unemployment rate is almost 0%. If you don't have a trades job in this economy, you either don't want to work or are otherwise unemployable.

Be advised that this is not a strong union area of the country. You may find that the non-union shops are paying the same wage (esp on Davis-Bacon projects) because that's what it costs to attract and retain a workforce today. In the open market, of course, some non-union shops may have a bidding advantage over the union shops. But there's so much work right now that really isn't an issue. It's a very tight labor market at this time for qualified trades worker.

I believe you could be hired in the front range area within a day or two in this market. Check out the job ads in the Rocky Mountain News/Denver Post. There's also a lot of interest now in building engineer electrician jobs with the latest changeovers in the property management business in Denver, or places like Johnson Controls specialize in the HVAC biz. Don't forget the brewing industry here; AB in Fort Collins is one of the few very strong union shops.

There's also mines, powerplants, water treatment facilities, airports, municipal facilities ... be open minded about where your skills apply and the marketplace broadens a lot.

Best of luck with your relocation. You will take a decrease in pay to come out to Colorado, and the costs of living may actually be higher than Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area