U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2007, 08:30 PM
 
3 posts, read 33,371 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

We have recently visited the Greeley area & were impressed. Are there any areas or communities that would be recommended or should be avoided when considering relocation? We have 3 children & would like to live near schools but not entirely important (14, 13, & 10). Have also considered Loveland, Ft Collins & a couple nearby small towns within driving distance. Recreation, crime rate, schools & neighbors are extremely important. Would love something with a military base feel where the neighborhood looks out for each other & children are safe, I dont want anything with a big-city feel where neighbors don't know each other. One aspect I find alarming is the gang activity I have seen in the paper. Not looking to buy right away. Rent $900-$1100/mo range, need lots of room. I adore older homes even if fixer-uppers. Any ideas? All are greatly appreciated. Gotta get out of West Texas!!

Last edited by DarnRight; 01-14-2007 at 08:43 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2007, 12:21 AM
 
Location: Greeley CO
1 posts, read 26,181 times
Reputation: 11
Default Stevo from Greeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarnRight View Post
We have recently visited the Greeley area & were impressed. Are there any areas or communities that would be recommended or should be avoided when considering relocation? We have 3 children & would like to live near schools but not entirely important (14, 13, & 10). Have also considered Loveland, Ft Collins & a couple nearby small towns within driving distance. Recreation, crime rate, schools & neighbors are extremely important. Would love something with a military base feel where the neighborhood looks out for each other & children are safe, I dont want anything with a big-city feel where neighbors don't know each other. One aspect I find alarming is the gang activity I have seen in the paper. Not looking to buy right away. Rent $900-$1100/mo range, need lots of room. I adore older homes even if fixer-uppers. Any ideas? All are greatly appreciated. Gotta get out of West Texas!!
Have lived in Greeley for the last 25 years. Advise west part of town for best part of town. Crime rate has slowly incresed over years for entire Greeley/Loveland/Ft. Collins area but not bad. The gang bangers seem to mostly shoot each other. Gang activity really pretty equal for all three towns. Windsor is probably the quietest in this reguard. Loveland and Ft. Collins are prettier cities being closer to the mountains. Ft. Collins has terrible traffic problems. The city has only one main street for the biggest part of it's businesses, and has a popuation of around 200,000. Doesn't work that well to get around. Loveland is nice but both it and Ft. Collins are expensive to live in. Windsor is a hot area for new growth but is also expensive. Greeley gets a bad rap for its occassional agricutural smell (feed lots and a meat packing plant on it's east side),but if you've ever lived in a rural area it isn't anything
you've not smelled before. Overall I like Greeley and plan to stay here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2007, 12:04 AM
 
1 posts, read 26,125 times
Reputation: 10
Greeley..Yeah... Its a Alright place... I Advise you to also move to the nice part of town which is the west...lots of subrubs... nice houses...

How ever the parts of the city to avoid would be the south side.. and the north... Full of gangs... shooting, crimes... i live here.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2007, 10:28 AM
 
42 posts, read 233,742 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by The C-O View Post
Greeley..Yeah... Its a Alright place... I Advise you to also move to the nice part of town which is the west...lots of subrubs... nice houses...

How ever the parts of the city to avoid would be the south side.. and the north... Full of gangs... shooting, crimes... i live here.....
Ya? I know some people that live just north of downtown, and they haven't hand any problems.

But ya, you probably want to stay away from the North/northeast part of town, south isn't as bad, but you'll run into some run down areas. Ya the westside of Greeley is the best part of town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2007, 10:29 AM
 
42 posts, read 233,742 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
Have lived in Greeley for the last 25 years. Advise west part of town for best part of town. Crime rate has slowly incresed over years for entire Greeley/Loveland/Ft. Collins area but not bad. The gang bangers seem to mostly shoot each other. Gang activity really pretty equal for all three towns. Windsor is probably the quietest in this reguard. Loveland and Ft. Collins are prettier cities being closer to the mountains. Ft. Collins has terrible traffic problems. The city has only one main street for the biggest part of it's businesses, and has a popuation of around 200,000. Doesn't work that well to get around. Loveland is nice but both it and Ft. Collins are expensive to live in. Windsor is a hot area for new growth but is also expensive. Greeley gets a bad rap for its occassional agricutural smell (feed lots and a meat packing plant on it's east side),but if you've ever lived in a rural area it isn't anything
you've not smelled before. Overall I like Greeley and plan to stay here.
I agree with you a 100%
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2007, 10:28 PM
 
423 posts, read 1,838,395 times
Reputation: 117
I would suggest living somewhere like Ault, or Eaton. They are both small towns near by and they are the type of places where everyone looks out for you. Very small and friendly communities. Greeley is high in gang activity and I might hesitate to send my kids to school there. Plus in a smaller school I think they have more opportunities, especially in sports and a more one on one learning environment. Hope this helps you out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2007, 02:01 PM
 
2 posts, read 34,293 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarnRight View Post
We have recently visited the Greeley area & were impressed. Are there any areas or communities that would be recommended or should be avoided when considering relocation? We have 3 children & would like to live near schools but not entirely important (14, 13, & 10). Have also considered Loveland, Ft Collins & a couple nearby small towns within driving distance. Recreation, crime rate, schools & neighbors are extremely important. Would love something with a military base feel where the neighborhood looks out for each other & children are safe, I dont want anything with a big-city feel where neighbors don't know each other. One aspect I find alarming is the gang activity I have seen in the paper. Not looking to buy right away. Rent $900-$1100/mo range, need lots of room. I adore older homes even if fixer-uppers. Any ideas? All are greatly appreciated. Gotta get out of West Texas!!
I dont want to put a damper on your plans, but I would steer clear of Greeley, with children in that age range. I struggle daily raising a 14 yr old and a 5 yr old in this town. We have been fortunate enough to get an acceptance for both kids to attend a good "charter" school in town, and if it werent for that we would have left already.

We moved to the "West" part of town 3 years ago - to a "better neighborhood" from the SOuth part of town. We have had more problems here than in any neighborhood we haev lived in. Vandalism, house robbery, stolen mail form box, car windows broken. The police told us that the vandals dont do that to their own neighborhoods, they come to the west side assuming we have more to steal! HA!! Oh and as far as friendly neighbors - we haev lived in our neighborhood for 3 years and the neighors dont talk to each other. It is sad!!!
The crime as was earlier stated has increased every year. I moved her at age 16 (1987) with my parents and I shutter to think of where this community will be in 10 years. I know we wont stick around to find out. I agree with Eaton, Windsor, Severance, Ft Collins for locations. Is more expensive to live there, but worth the extra costs.

Honesty is the best policy!!! Even if it is brutal! Best of luck to you and yours.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2008, 12:51 PM
 
7 posts, read 92,716 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIkki091971 View Post
I dont want to put a damper on your plans, but I would steer clear of Greeley, with children in that age range. I struggle daily raising a 14 yr old and a 5 yr old in this town. We have been fortunate enough to get an acceptance for both kids to attend a good "charter" school in town, and if it werent for that we would have left already.

We moved to the "West" part of town 3 years ago - to a "better neighborhood" from the SOuth part of town. We have had more problems here than in any neighborhood we haev lived in. Vandalism, house robbery, stolen mail form box, car windows broken. The police told us that the vandals dont do that to their own neighborhoods, they come to the west side assuming we have more to steal! HA!! Oh and as far as friendly neighbors - we haev lived in our neighborhood for 3 years and the neighors dont talk to each other. It is sad!!!
The crime as was earlier stated has increased every year. I moved her at age 16 (1987) with my parents and I shutter to think of where this community will be in 10 years. I know we wont stick around to find out. I agree with Eaton, Windsor, Severance, Ft Collins for locations. Is more expensive to live there, but worth the extra costs.

Honesty is the best policy!!! Even if it is brutal! Best of luck to you and yours.
Yeah, Greeley's so called cost of living may be cheaper than in other towns nearby, but by the time you pay for all the busted out car windows and all the other vandalism, I would say the cost of living including all the underlying costs is extremely high. I moved to Greeley 7 years ago and the people here are so uptight and paranoid. But, they have good reason. A neighbor called the law on us because our dog barked at 2:00 in the afternoon. Who would want to associate with someone like that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2009, 09:48 AM
 
1 posts, read 24,756 times
Reputation: 11
Hey, Just a warning, my husband is a teacher in the middle schools in Greeley, He deals with severe gang issues on a daily basis. We live in and send our kids to fort collins schools because there are little to none of the same problems here as long as you stay away from the schools at the north end of town. The gangs are scary in Greeley, we have seen some of the fights and the ways that these kids are being pressured to join gangs. Please be careful when sending your kids there
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2009, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Lakewood, CO
24 posts, read 112,689 times
Reputation: 16
I am a student at UNC and currently live in the far east centeral side of town in a low income, low rent neighborhood and I absolutely can not wait to get out of here.

I've really been at UNC for two years but I've only been living off campus since the start of this year. From what I've seen so far I really am disgusted with my neighborhood. I live next to what was recently busted for being a meth lab and a house of prostitution, I have to hear about shootings going on in my neighborhood, there are car break ins at my apartment complex every so often and the greeley PD from my experience has been quite a disappointment. When I tried reporting a crime the officer not only arrived late to the scene and let the guy get away but was totally indifferent. He could care less and agreed without care "yeah it'll happen again" and then moved on to something else. Yeah this is not the entire city but honestly I am absolutely disgusted with east greeley (minus UNC's campus). Friends who live in other parts of town agree. They've had to deal with shootings in their apartment buildings, police coming all the time, drug deals going on, and a feeling of fear and disgust all the time.

I agree there are some better parts of town but if you can try to stay away from East Greeley/Far east greeley. I know I regret living here. I would even recommend not living in Greeley altogether. Windsor or Loveland seem to be what you're looking for, and of course Fort Collins is a great place to live I've lived there before.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top