U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2008, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,549 times

Advertisements

I'm bringing some teens there from FL for some police explorer training. My question is, is there ANYWHERE in Colorado or near that my kids who have NEVER seen snow can see and feel it? Any open mountain trips, anything?

thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 01:08 AM

36 posts, read 95,829 times
Default Visiting Ft. Collins week of July 21...weather question

Hello there. I am also from Fl. and will be flying into Denver on that day. Will be all over including the Fort. 1st. time to Colorado for me and my wife. Flying out of Orlando.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:00 AM

169 posts, read 629,798 times
Well snow in July would be very hard to find. Your best bet would be getting as high as you can. Some good places (but long drives - call ahead and see if its worth it) would be maybe be the South Park area (Fairplay, Leadville). You might see something there or if you hike a bit to a higher elevation (13-14K) you might get lucky and see something in the shadows of a cluster of trees (hidden so the sun cannot melt it). It will be tough I grant you that. It is a bit late for seeing snow unless you get WAYYYY up there. Good luck. A much better time would have been about 2-3 months ago

Old 07-05-2008, 09:51 AM

423 posts, read 1,839,448 times
I don't think you have a very good chance of seeing snow. There is not much left right now and probably will not be any by the end of July. If you could see any it would be far away from Fort Collins.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:04 PM
rjs

60 posts, read 202,686 times
When i lived in Colorado Springs, my backyard had great views of Pikes Peak 9 miles away. ( 14K ft elv). Although by middle of July most peak elevation snow was gone. But back by Middle of Sept.
Not sure where you will find any decent (clean) snow pack in middle of july.
If you will be arriving FC, I would suggest first visit ( closest) Rocky mtn ntnl park. About 45 miles. If you do visit, and it is your first visit, Time will seem to stand still once you see the rockies.!..You will love it. ! Oh yeah, one other very small pointer, you'll experience 20% humidity and never want to return to FL.!

Old 07-06-2008, 07:12 AM

90,420 posts, read 108,235,436 times
You might try some of the mtns of Wyoming, not *that* far from Ft. Collins. We camped in Medicine Bow National Forest in Wyo one July and saw snow, not falling, but on the ground.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:07 PM

169 posts, read 629,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs View Post
Oh yeah, one other very small pointer, you'll experience 20% humidity and never want to return to FL.!
LOL - I agree. One of the benefits of my move from New Orleans LA

Old 07-08-2008, 10:24 PM

3 posts, read 14,495 times
Yes you can find snow but very little of it this time of year. You can go up to Rock Mountain National Park (Past Estes Park) and go high, high up and you might be able to get to some snow.

http://www.rocky.mountain.national-park.com/

Last edited by aperfectingangel; 07-08-2008 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: added link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area