Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2006, 09:15 AM

11 posts, read 44,277 times

Advertisements

Hi -

I just got back from Fort Collins (yes in the big snow storm). It was our first visit and unfortuntely we didn't accomplish as much as we expected to with a snow blizzard to deal with. However, we did see a good portion of the area. We love the old town area but was wondering how it is when college is in session? Is it crazy, loud, etc.?

Does anyone know about the Claredon Hills area? What about McGraw, Webber and Rocky Mountain schools?

Any help would be great!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 02:52 PM

66 posts, read 493,796 times
Clarendon Hills is a mature neighborhood in southwest Ft. Collins. In its day, it was the cream of the crop. Now, it is a very nice, established neighborhood.

You can't go wrong with the schools that you mentioned.

I've been downtown on a Friday and Saturday night during college session, and didn't find it to be loud, crazy, or bothersome. Lots of kids at the restaurants, but behaving themselves.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:42 PM

11 posts, read 44,277 times
Thank you for your response!

Do you know anything about what it is like to live in the downtown area -- closer to the big city park? I know it is expensive but are there streets/areas that might be worth looking at? It looks so cool.

We liked Claredon Hills and the fact that it is established. How about Fossil Lake (did I get that right?). Any thoughts on Timnath/Clydesdale Park?

We need a school that is friendly, and open to the needs of our kids not just getting the highest standardized test scores. I heard Rocky Mountain was quite friendly and welcoming -- is this something that might be reality?

I figure you might not know all the answers to these questions :-).

Thanks for any help.

Debi

Old 01-06-2007, 11:38 AM

Hi Debi,

Living near City Park or close to downtown - I don't know much - sorry. I had some clients who rented a couple of blocks from City Park that moved to Loveland. There are some rentals around, especially the older homes, that might be a little more prevalent than in other neighborhoods. There are some pricey homes in that corrider if they have had "a complete makeover". I saw a two story home built in 1909 for over $700K that had an extensive renovation. There are others for less that when "made over" may be just as nice as the one mentioned above for $700+.

Mountain Ave., Laporte, Grant, Oak, Loomis, Mulberry, Howes, City Park, and Washington are just a few of the streets close by to City Park that have homes for sale.

Clydesdale is a newer neighborhood, within the past 2 - 3 years, that has homes from $200K to over $500K. I don't know much about the schools, other than that Preston is a newer junior high school, and Poudre now has the oldest high school building in Collins. Poudre also hosts the IB program that draws students from all over Northern Colorado. Keep in mind that Ft. Collins is a school of choice, so it really doesn't matter where you live, so long as you can transport your child to the school.

Fossil Lake is also a newer neighborhood that has homes ranging from the low $300's to over a $1 mil. Schools are newer due to the tremendous growth that is taking place in that area of Ft. Collins.

I have friends that have children attending Rocky Mountain, Ft. Collins, and Fossil Ridge. I haven't heard anything negative from any of them.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,302 times
My husband and I are planning to visit Fort Collins in February to look at possibly relocating our family there. We have heard, however, that the natives are rather hostile to newcomers. In your experience, nrcea, do you believe that to be true? We wouldn't want to move somewhere where there is an overwhelming sense of animosity...

Thanks

Old 01-09-2007, 09:10 PM

616 posts, read 3,003,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livmor View Post
We have heard, however, that the natives are rather hostile to newcomers. In your experience, nrcea, do you believe that to be true? We wouldn't want to move somewhere where there is an overwhelming sense of animosity...
Where are you hearing that? If you peruse this forum, you will find quite the opposite being expressed.

The only animosity that there may be is if transplants try to change CO into the place they came from. Us natives like CO just the way it is.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:37 AM

Hi Livmor,

I haven't seen or heard of any hostility. I have heard people say that they are comforted by how friendly the people are in this area.

As in all areas, there will be those people who are somewhat distant to newcomers or have that "not in my backyard" mentality. But all in all, I would rate this area pretty nice, friendly, conservative, and laid back.

If you need specifics on real estate, let me know. I can help you out in that area.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:37 AM

2 posts, read 17,598 times
Hi,
My family is moving to Fort Collins, we have lived in japan for the past 8 years and are looking for a neighborhood that will have space around us -- not something we've had in Japan! But, we also want a neighborhood with children, as we have two. The areas we have seen that we like are Clarendon Hills, Taft Canyon, and The Ridge, any opinions of which of these would be the best for kids?
Thanks,
Judy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area