Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2007, 06:50 PM

30 posts, read 194,177 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate from "cookie cutter" So Cal suburbia and thought we had decided to look only at Ft. Collins, but my husband and I were disappointed in the housing choices available in the area for $400,000 and less. Not too many homes to choose from that aren't a little on the dilapidated side. Highlands Ranch seems to have more of a selection and is closer (I think) to Denver International Airport, but may be a little too much on the "cookie cutter" side. Our dilemma is that we want a change of scenery in both topography, architecture, and lifestyle. We are very intrigued by the downtown core that Ft. Collins seems to offer and are hoping the area more than makes up for the lack of housing selection. We are looking for greener surroundings (with trees), family-oriented activities, light nightlife, and four seasons. Also, covenience to the airport. Keep in mind my husband currently commutes 45 mins. one way 4x' s week so 1 hr. commute to the airport 2x's a month would not be very inconvenient. I know it's subjective, but which would be the better choice from an outsider's point of view? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 07:42 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
try downtown Golden or Arvada - closer to the airport - with it's own personality.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:23 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
I like 2b's suggestions.
Just my opinion, I know there are many happy folks in HR, but if you want to avoid cookie cutter, I think you need to avoid HR.
I love Ft Collins, but it sure has been discovered.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:49 AM

226 posts, read 1,369,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostress13 View Post
We are looking for greener surroundings (with trees), family-oriented activities, light nightlife, and four seasons. Also, covenience to the airport.
I would also look into Parker, Castle Rock or Larkspur. Parker & Larkspur have many areas with trees and all of these areas are less than 1 hour to the airport via E470.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:43 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,975,932 times
Fort Collins and Highlands Ranch really have nothing in common, so it's hard to even compare them. Fort Collins is a self-contained community more or less out of the Denver metro area, whereas Highlands Ranch is a city-sized subdivision that is largely a bedroom community for commuters in the Denver area.

If you are looking to commute to a job in the Denver area, then I don't think you should even be considering Fort Collins due to the long commute, and in that case Highlands Ranch might be more of what you're looking for.

Also, the average home price is considerably less in Fort Collins (as well as all of northern Colorado) vs. Highlands Ranch or most of the Denver area. 400k will actually buy a great deal more in Fort Collins than in Highlands Ranch, so I'm a little surprised that you couldn't find what you wanted, but perhaps it's because Fort Collins is relatively speaking a small community and this time of year there may not be a lot of diversity on the market.

If you're just not finding the type of housing you are looking for in Fort Collins, you might consider expanding your search to nearby Loveland -- the two communities are somewhat interconnected.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:14 AM

90 posts, read 317,890 times
Good points from others.

Windsor and Loveland are nearby to Ft C. They are pretty much "booming". H Ranch is probably the most "Californicated" part of Colorado. Fences, HOA Rules galore, a commuter community. (Maybe you'll feel right at home there?) Oh yes. Water is a BIG deal all over Colorado. Make sure you know if the community has its own wells/supply ... or if it is Leasing water rights from other areas....

Castle Rock has grown so fast the Town's Services are not keeping-up. Roads, Parks, Rec Centers are all way over-used.

Golden or Parker are two other very different communities you might research....

- KK

Old 02-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Cin

72 posts, read 308,436 times
I hear you...been looking for that right house in FC...and I know I am fussy but I feel...other than you get a basement here it is worse than phx...people keep saying it is less expensive here but I don't see it at all! Oh well...but I think you are right to be somewhat shocked by some of the prices considering the shape or lack of show quality...but alot of that is that people don't know how to show a house. I think everything is pretty much the same and as you may have seen due to my bad house luck...I like homes on beautiful lots that have major ground issues...in other words it may just be me!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado