Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:38 PM

792 posts, read 3,137,768 times

Advertisements

For the OP to be quite honest I don't think you'll like FC for the long haul. Maybe the BF may like it because of time/family in the S/W US. FC is just too far from Denver and too close to WY for my comfort levels (as an east coaster). I'd say play if safe for safety sake and eye something around Denver (e.g. Lakewood, Littleton, Golden, etc) where its a little more denser populated (and up paced) and close to airport and city stuff (e.g. I-70 gateway to ski country, sports, pepsi center, arts, etc). It will be huge culture shock to live for a decent duration in FC versus NYC (where you are now). The two are at opposite extremes on almost all fronts. Personally I think Denver blows away NY-metro on all comparisons except job market/economy. NYC is way over-rated IMO. Good luck.

Last edited by Spincycle; 08-22-2008 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 01:27 AM

15 posts, read 65,925 times
Fort Collins natives treat New Yorkers like junk. Californians too. People in Fort Collins are very rude. The drives are terrible. The dryness is horrid. I am originally from SF CA and moved to Syracuse NY. I have NY plates and my husband has a CA license. We get looked at, commented at, and treated rudely by everyone here.

I have been to the hospital quite a few times for mountain sickness and Asthma due to the altitude. It is hard to breathe here and everything stinks like dog poop outside. It's terrible. I wouldn't move here. We're considering moving back west or back east in a few months.

If you want any fast food forget it Fort Collins carries all fast food along college. The lights on the street are so out of whack and long to keep people out it is insane. People drive around with "No Vacancy" stickers on their cars because they don't want people living here.

Looking for a good time or a good doctor? You got to go clear to Denver for that. It isn't a fun drive either. Not to mention the weather is terrible in Fort Collins, especially Greeley, Loveland, etc... It is either 100 and miserable, 90 and humid as heck on some days, or thundering. The emergency broadcast message goes off all the time for severe thunderstorms and tornado warnings. Look up Windsor CO we were here for the tornado a few months back. It was terrifying.

Did I mention even neighbors are rude and their children don't even talk to you? It's some weird town pride. Everything is like Children of the Corn here. If you want to shop forget nighttime shopping also. Stores close early. Only thing open for groceries past midnight is the King Soopers self checkout and Walmart.

DONT MOVE HERE! You'll regret it like we did.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:03 AM

585 posts, read 2,223,504 times
Sinkitten,

I haven't met you so it's hard to say why the fine people of Fort Collins rub you the wrong way. I grew up in Nebraska and lived in FC for 10 years. I always thought that anyone that makes big drama by talking loudly, waving there hands around wildly when they speak, were the jerks of the world. Turns out, they are just folks from the east coast!

I'm just kidding.

The area is odd in regards to it's culture. Lot's of folks there are from somewhere else. Like I said, there's a transient nature to the area and I think that explains a lot of things. I know some folks from NY and they love CO. Obviously, it's not a place for you.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:18 PM

18 posts, read 58,667 times
There is so much I want to write, but I think it is best to just say thank you all for your input. We will be back in February to make our decision. I hope that if we do decide to move that we will make friends just as easily as we did with our moves to New York. I do have to say that every single person we met while in Fort Collins was friendly. Not overly friendly, but genuine. There will be bitter, grouchy people everywhere you go. I live in NYC. Don't you think I am used to rude people?

Old 08-30-2008, 10:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyerishBD View Post
There is so much I want to write, but I think it is best to just say thank you all for your input. We will be back in February to make our decision. I hope that if we do decide to move that we will make friends just as easily as we did with our moves to New York. I do have to say that every single person we met while in Fort Collins was friendly. Not overly friendly, but genuine. There will be bitter, grouchy people everywhere you go. I live in NYC. Don't you think I am used to rude people?
I'm sure you are used to rude people, but in NY they will talk to you. The western culture is a little different. Not so much talking to people in line at the PO, in stores, etc. One on one, of course, people are the same everywhere.

Add: In re: the browness-you might not have any green right now b/c you live in an apt, but you have green surroundings. I think that is what we were getting at. You'll miss it. I do. It's not necessarily a deal-breaker though, I've been here 28 yrs.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:21 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
I feel for the OP. Many of these responses were either not helpful or insulting. It was as if some of you were telling her to keep away. Her original post made clear why she was interested in FC. She and her boyfriend sound outdoorsy and down-to-earth. Sounds to me like they can be happy in places other than NYC. I think the OP should visit again and talk to as many people as she can before making the move. I doubt she found these responses helpful except for a few.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
We are giving her some of the benefit of our experiences. Though not from NYC, I am from Pennsylvania and I have seen with my own eyes the contrasts. To not tell the OP about these issues would not be helping her. We told her it was windy; she said she wasn't concerned. The wind bothers a lot of people who move out here. We told her it's brown; ditto. I personally don't think these issues are dealbreakers, and said so, but she needs to know about them. Some people do think they are dealbreakers, especially the brownness (sp?).

Old 09-24-2008, 08:03 PM

15 posts, read 65,925 times
Wink waterrrrrrrrr

The dryness is a huge deal breaker. FC is dry, windy, has sporadic weather changes. Your skin cracks from the dry air. You're always thirsty coupled with the altitude adjustments. Its another world compared to NY. There's so many better places than FC!

Old 09-25-2008, 10:24 AM

18 posts, read 58,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkitten View Post
The dryness is a huge deal breaker. FC is dry, windy, has sporadic weather changes. Your skin cracks from the dry air. You're always thirsty coupled with the altitude adjustments. Its another world compared to NY. There's so many better places than FC!
Are you still in FC sinkitten? If so, why?

Last edited by EyerishBD; 09-25-2008 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: to highlight person being addressed

Old 09-25-2008, 11:37 AM

5 posts, read 8,974 times
Sorry, this will be rushed because I'm running the girls to school soon. Coming from the east coast about a year and a half ago, I think we are now settled in.

Rambling thoughts:
I think the wind does drive me bonkers. Also there doesn't seem to be the same restaurants. For the most part the chains seem to rule the roost. We were used to getting any type of food at any time of night. Also we miss the sushi terribly. My health insurance SUCKS, I'm not sure if that is my job or the area. People seem to close their eyes and floor their cars, as opposed to driving defensively. There also seems to be a lack of culture, but that might be because we always have our kids in tow (3yrs and 5yrs.) We also miss the four seasons, as opposed to hot or cold!

We don't have to take 45 minutes through traffic to run errands. Everyone we chat with (which is strange to chat with everyone!) is friendly and, believe it or not, listen to what you are saying. Drive to the RMNP and you'll know this is the area to be. The pace of life is a lot nicer too!

In all seriousness though, the grass is always greener. Make sure it's what you want!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area