Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,726 times

Advertisements

For starters I am kinda new to the forum, done alot of reading, not much posting Anyway, i am just wondering why all the negativity about the Greeley/Fort Collins/Loveland area? I have been reading alot of posts on here, especially about the job market, crime, isolation, nothing to do here stuff, and i'm wondering why? I just moved here to Greeley from the southeast a few months ago and I dont find it to be a bad town at all...not the greatest, but not bad. I read all these posts about the smell (yes it has an odor on certain days), but nothing horrible. I work in Fort Collins, I found a job making great money (almost double what I was making back east) in about 2 weeks after getting here. I guess I really dont see what all the complaining on here is all about? The way this area is talked about (especially Greeley), the people on here make it sound like its so horrible that nobody would want to live here. I really think some people here need to realize what they do have, or travel to the eastern U.S. for a little while. The people here seem really spoiled, and dont realize what they have. The crime ratings here are probably 1/4th of most eastern cities, and job market? You have no idea how bad it could be, where i come from there are no jobs....period. OK, i guess im finished ranting, I just wish people would step outside the little bubble they call life and realize that in some cities people would give anything to have a life here in an area you call jobless, overrun with crime, and boring.

P.S.- For example, check out the city-data top 100 cities with the most crime, not one CO city is even on the list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 12:01 AM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadracr1 View Post
For starters I am kinda new to the forum, done alot of reading, not much posting ...
That's kinda funny not just because you've got 1 post under your belt, but also because you've got a September 08 join date!

Yeah, I'm from Pueblo and when I hear those up on the Front Range from Boulder County up to Ft. Collins complaining there's nothing to do and no jobs, it makes me wonder what they'd think of this area down here. I worked with a guy from Loveland that said you're leaving civilization when you head south of Castle Rock, then you're really leaving civilization when you head south of the Springs.

So I say, welcome to the Reservation. Maybe you can try to inspire some with some pics of that northern section of the Front Range which I like to call right smack in the middle of Civilization; Home to many jobs, fantastic view to the west and furtile ag land to the east- some of the richest crops in all of Colorado per capita, Greeley is just a place to live for people who maybe can't afford parts of Boulder County, right? You guys got no complaints. I agree with you on that. You need to replace your words with pics I say.
Here's a few I took of the San Isabel, Rye area or the mountain playground community to Pueblo in Pueblo County and on the fringe of it in Custer County;

San Isabel used to have a little bitty ski lodge back in the day. I remember skiing it the day Reagan got shot.

Anybody heard of or been to Bishop's Castle?

There may or may not be a photo thread of the Ft Collins area. Hope this may inspire you to start one.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:37 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
McGowdog, your pictures go great with "All Summer Long", by the Beach Boys playing in the background.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:24 AM

138 posts, read 451,504 times
I am not from that area, but just wanted to mention I went through there about 3 weeks ago. I stayed at one of the 'Choice' motels. I had my dog with me, and when I asked the clerk (a younger man) if it was safe to go walking he said 'no'. I was surprised- it 'looked' safe. He said the crime was pretty bad. Sure was a surprise- it is such a small city.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:42 AM

566 posts, read 1,939,443 times
Negativity? Perhaps a little. But there is much truth in Greeley being a seedy place and in Fort Collins being a difficult job market. Our company runs recruitment ads in Fort Collins regularly. We are always amazed at the huge number of responses. Many from people with considerable education. We no longer use our phone number or address in order to be able to handle the large number of people looking for work - many willing to take lesser jobs. We now have people respond to an email address.

I've always believed that a sharp person can succeed anywhere at just about anything. But that does not mean that it will be easy.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:49 PM

788 posts, read 1,741,322 times
Congrats to the OP for finding a good job in FC....but in my time there i was also amazed at the number of people I met with college degrees working for $10/hr in entry level jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area