Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 10:54 AM

65 posts, read 268,621 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a relocation up north in the coming year. We now live close to Colorado Springs. I see some great deals on new housing in Johnstown (Ryland Homes) and Loveland (Oakwood Homes). I'm a teacher so these areas seem central to several different school districts in which to look for emplyment.
We're looking for good schools, and I know that "good" is usually a reflection on home involvement. I don't care as much about the obsession on CSAP scores. I'm more concerned with class sizes and extra activities offered such as music, art, sports, etc, and school climate such as bullying, gangs, etc.
I have lived in Colorado for 3 years (originally from Southern Cal.) but really haven't been up to that area other than cruising through on the interstate.
Any pros and cons about the schools and quality of life up there would be a huge help.
Thanks a bunch in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 07:20 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,301 times
I can't speak with any authority on the schools but I've yet to meet a parent here who had a bad thing to say about them. We've been to a couple of plays and other events at the high school and it seems there's always a lot going on at all levels.

We checked the area out pretty carefully and we're thrilled to be here, Loveland. I can bike to the library, post office and grocery if I want and my wife never feels uncomfortable anywhere in town.

We also looked at the Springs last year before buying here. I had spent a year there a long time ago while in the Air Force. There were no noticeable improvements and I didn't care to live in a place with that much evangelical overload, having spent the last 30 years in TX.

golfgod

Old 09-04-2008, 10:54 AM

Thanks golfgod.
I appreciate the information. The Springs has a real transient population, probably because of the military presence. Any neighbors and friends we do meet, usually move on within a year or two. It seems hard to plant any meaningful roots. Maybe northern Colorado is more stable.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:58 PM

18 posts, read 72,666 times
RKS,

I lived in northern Colorado for the better part of the last 10 years. The Loveland/Fort Collins area is my favorite. I have a friend who works in the Thompson (Loveland) school district and is quite happy there. I worked in Johnstown/Milliken about 3 years ago. It was booming at the time and they had just completed construction on a new elemenary school.

If I had to choose, I would pick Loveland. In fact, I wanted to settle there, but my husband decided on the Army following college graduation (we now live in C. Springs). Loveland has so much to offer in terms of parks, lakes, and proximity to Fort Collins for hiking, rafting, etc. Johnstown wouldn't be bad, it's just much smaller. As for jobs, you are within a reasonable commuting area to several districts. In Loveland, you could look at Thompson, Poudre, Windsor, Greeley, or St. Vrain (if you want to make the commute). Johnstown would open the many of the same options plus a couple additional, smaller districts just east of Johnstown.

If you decide to make the move and have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! Good luck!

Old 09-05-2008, 07:39 PM

423 posts, read 1,959,845 times
The Ryland homes in Johnstown seem to be very nice homes. I just drove through that nieghborhood last week and it looked very nice. Seemed like they had smaller yards but the subdivision had its own school.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the replies, it helps a lot.
So if I wanted to explore school districts for employment, does anybody know all the districts that are within a 20-30 minute drive of Loveland or Johnstown? I know the bigger ones like Poudre Valley and Thompson. I think there are also some smaller ones as well.
Thanks again.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:50 AM

18 posts, read 72,666 times
I just sent you a message with a list. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area