U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2007, 10:51 PM

7 posts, read 36,481 times

Advertisements

Any advise on Loveland? We are seriourly considering moving there. We have been there three times last year and it seems like a nice family orientatied town. Anyone know about the school system? Any other comments on Loveland would be great too. Housing market? I would really appreciate any advice. We would be moving from CA. I do know the winters will take some getting used to. I lived in Conn. as a kid and have shoveled my share of snow. I have never driven in it though. My daughter will be starting Middle school when we go.
Thanks again for any advice.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 08:35 AM

24 posts, read 105,142 times
Default Loveland?

I love this forum and have been able to find tons of helpful info as we plan our move to Denver. My online search is leading us to Loveland mainly because we can't seem to find decent "affordable" (275-290K with a nice sized yard) housing in the Littleton/Centennial area where we liked the IB schools. Looking on the IB website, we see that Fort Collins has many IB scools but again, the houses are too expensive for us.

We are thinking perhaps Loveland may work. Our daughter would have to wait for her High School years for the IB program, and we could get a very nice house in a comunity like Marianna Butte. She's an artist, and it looks like the schools value art and offer Art Clubs + the foreign languages that are so important to us. Does anyone on this board have kids in Middle School in Loveland (Walt Clark or Lucille) or in Elementary (Namaqua or Centennial)? I would love to ask you some questions. There's not much on the greatschools website. Any feedback would be so welcome on schools or Marianna Butte!

We are Democrats and have been living in Texas for the last three years. We would LOVE to move to a more liberal area. Is Loveland more liberal or more conservative? Also, is there diversity in Loveland? We have been living in a 90%+ white area for the last few years and long to be back in an area with more diversity.

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2007, 05:46 PM

4,308 posts, read 12,385,757 times
Check out this site //www.city-data.com/city/Loveland-Colorado.html for some demographics on Loveland. I'm afraid I can't address your schools question at all, but I've heard Loveland is a little more conservative than liberal. I'm not sure how up-to-date the info on this site is, but it looks like Loveland is predominantly white with Hispanic being the 2nd largest population group. The city's homepage is http://www.ci.loveland.co.us/.

Longmont has a somewhat larger mix of races.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:49 PM

6 posts, read 21,440 times
Have checked out the areas just north of Fort Collins? Wellington and the areas between it and Fort Collins, have some very affordable housing and a strong Hispanic population. If you are not in the Wellington City Limits, I believe that would place you in the Poudre High School boundaries, which has a great IB program. You can also look at the developing areas near the Mount Vista exit off I-25 which is near the Anheiser Bush Plant. Very nice, affordable housing. Near FoCo with out the prices. Also the Fort Collins charter schools such as Ridgview, and Liberty Commons, have great Art and Foreign Language programs.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:02 PM

2,755 posts, read 12,141,554 times
I live in Denver, but have lived in Fort Collins in the past and am generally a fan of Northern Colorado.

Politically, Loveland is fairly balanced but tilts a bit more to the right than Fort Collins. Both are pretty balanced, however, and I think you can be comfortable politically in either town.

However, diversity is lacking generally in northern Colorado, at least in Larimer County. As colorado_native pointed out, Longmont might have a little bit more diversity than Loveland or Fort Collins, but not too much -- you'd have to go all the way over to Greeley or down to the north metro Denver suburbs before you find any noticable diversity.

As you determined, the cost of housing is cheaper in Northern Colorado. When I used to live in Fort Collins, Loveland was touted as a cheaper alternative to Fort Collins, but my understanding is now that Loveland has caught up with Fort Collins in housing prices due to its greater proximity to Denver/Boulder. As colorado_native pointed out, the northeast end of Fort Collins (beyond the river) up to Wellington is fairly affordable.

I think the schools up there are all good -- they used to say that Fort Collins (Poudre) schools were better than Loveland (Thompson) schools, but I think that's just a matter of debate since both are good.

I should point out that although Northern Colorado has its own jobs, salaries tend to be lower than the Denver area, and an increasing number of people commute from Loveland to points further south for that reason. You might take that into account lest you get stuck in a situation where you feel like you have to commute.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:39 PM

18 posts, read 77,219 times
Are you trying to get to a more liberal area, or trying to get away from towns with so many white people? (90%+ as you say) They are not necessarily one in the same.

We are also considering a move to loveland/ft. collins in a couple of years, but I hope people accept each other for WHO they are there, and not WHAT COLOR their skin is. We can all do with less racism.

From what I've read, Boulder is definitely the most liberal town along the front range, where Colorado Springs is at the opposite end of the pendulum, mostly conservative. As far as Loveland and FC, they appear to be split fairly down the middle with regard to the numbers of democrats vs. republicans.

Last edited by mdz; 07-07-2007 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: can't link there from here

Old 07-07-2007, 04:07 PM

90,377 posts, read 109,042,267 times
I would not make IB schools the highest priority in finding an affordable home. IB is not the be-all and end-all that its advocates make it out to be. Yes, you may get some advanced standing in college. It depends on the college, and in some colleges, it depends on the department ie the bio dept may not accept IB credits and the English dept may, or vice versa, or something else entirely. The same is true for AP (Advanced Placement) courses. My kids took some AP classes and benefitted from them, both in knowledge gained and college credits received, but it still took the first one four yrs to graduate w/o changing her major. It may take the second one longer, since she took longer to decide on a major, and she has more AP credits than her sisetr. Any comprehenive high school will offer a good education. College acceptance doesn't depend on having an IB or an AP diploma. My kids' high school offered neither, and their classmates were accepted at Stanford, MIT, Notre Dame, etc. Most of them, however, went to the University of Colorado or Colorado State U. Most IB students, in this district, go to CU or CSU as well, and take 4 - 6 yrs to graduate.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:14 PM

2 posts, read 10,094 times
Default Thinking of moving to Loveland... info anyone? :)

Hello everyone! My fiancé and I are contemplating buying a home in Loveland or the surrounding areas (preferably Loveland itself). We currently live in Lakewood – a suburb of Denver – and have been in Colorado our entire lives, so we know all the general scoop on CO.

We have been house hunting and exploring in Loveland a few times, but I would love to get an insider’s perspective on things. We fell in love with the area, plus the housing prices can’t be beat when compared to comparable homes down here! We would like to get a brand new home in one of the many developments popping up, but are open to other options within a reasonable first-time buyer’s budget. We would also prefer to be closer to the west for the mountains, but I realize the prices are usually higher as you go that way.

If anyone has any info, advice, or suggestions on the following it would be greatly appreciated!!

-Good vs. bad neighborhoods/areas (especially warnings on notably bad ones).

-Traffic concerns (specifically the average commute time from Loveland to CSU in Ft. Collins and maybe the best route to get there).

-New single-family home developments

-Other adjacent areas with a pleasant atmosphere and/or lower housing costs

-Local hotspots or fun things to do for those in the 25-30 age range (I realize Ft. Collins is more of the hub for night life, but just suggestions on local theatres, nice restaurants, or favorite watering holes).

-Good camping/hiking areas

Thank you everyone!

Old 09-13-2007, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 8,638 times
Default moving to Loveland area

After plenty of research I have decided to move to Loveland. I am 52, with a 12 yr old daughter. Single. I have been in Oklahoma for 16 years and I can't take these summers any longer. I just need to know where to stay once I get there until I can get settled. Any suggestions?

Old 11-02-2007, 08:28 PM

51 posts, read 230,742 times
Default I did some research today on Loveland, Co

That looks like a real fabulous area. It is very close to Fort Collins as well as Boulder. It is near the foothills and Rocky Mountain National Park. On Google Earth the little blue dots have images to see and the scenery at Rocky Mountain Nat. Park is incredible. Anyway, Loveland is now high on my list of possible places to move to. Anyone here from that area or familiar with Loveland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area