U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2008, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,908 times

Advertisements

Hello, We would like to relocate to Loveland from Chandler, AZ and would like to know any information that is available. We would like to rent a house for a while until we get to know the area. How is the cost of living there, rent prices(average), job market? We are both in our 40's and looking for a smaller town life. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Lou & Cari Wilson
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 08:21 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,431,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Colorado Style View Post
Hello, We would like to relocate to Loveland from Chandler, AZ and would like to know any information that is available. We would like to rent a house for a while until we get to know the area. How is the cost of living there, rent prices(average), job market? We are both in our 40's and looking for a smaller town life. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Lou & Cari Wilson
I just moved from Loveland to Gilbert AZ. Jobs are nil, houses are a little cheaper, but not much, cost of living is about the same. Weather, well I did not care for the unpredictable weather of Colorado. Man that place can be sunny and -5 at the same time. Alot of bad schools in the area, and some good ones. One extreme to the other so if you have school children, make sure you go check out the school ratings on Greatschools.net

Old 06-19-2008, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 9,077 times
Default Moving to Berthoud/Loveland

We will be moving to Colorado from New York State in July. I have a son in Special Education. The States school accountability reports and greatschools.net are helpful. But still awfully difficult finding information regarding special education. We have narrowed down our search to Loveland/Berthoud or possibly Johnstown/Milliken. My husband works in Longmont, from what I have researched the schools in Longmont dont appear to be all that safe. We will not be looking there. I prefer the Loveland area, as I am from Central New York and appreciate the older homes and am used to alot of snow. We are trying to narrow down our house hunting to only areas with good safe schools. I would appreciate any advise on where to look or who to call in regards to special education in the area.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:21 PM

2,755 posts, read 12,144,603 times
There won't be many jobs in Loveland, as sberdrow pointed out. There are more than there used to be, with some new hospitals there as well as some new industry on the east side of town. There is also an Agilent Technology site there, though it seems to be stagnating. But the fact is that Loveland has comparatively very few jobs compared to its neighbor 10 miles to the north, Fort Collins. And even Fort Collins is known to be the home of chronically underemployed and overeducated people.

If you do decide to live in Loveland, especially without a job, you may have to consider that your closest jobs may be in Boulder County. Boulder is about 25 miles southwest of Loveland, about a 40 minute drive at least.

For that reason I don't recommend moving to Northern Colorado (either Loveland or Fort Collins), without some good job prospects. You may want to consider Louisville or Lafayette in Boulder County, which are similar to Loveland (though more expensive), but do have ample job opportunities.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,116 posts, read 45,215,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ68 View Post
... I prefer the Loveland area, as I am from Central New York and appreciate the older homes and am used to a lot of snow. We are trying to narrow down our house hunting to only areas with good safe schools. I would appreciate any advise on where to look or who to call in regards to special education in the area.
RE: Loveland, its nice, some downfalls, are too much growth in suburbs, (traffic on arterials can be bad during commute) and too bad they transported the commercial center to I-25, tho.... this may become a blessing in disguise, as it will funnel traffic and masses of people to move / settle / shop out in Centarra, and the downtown will eventually be restored to a 'walk-able' friendly community...(this will take some time...) I predict this will happen with energy prices bringing people back to 'community'. The "development-spread" is really distasteful to us 'farmer-types' / open space, but.... again, I think the (now abandoned) 'cities' will be reborn to a more desirable place, devoid of 'suburbia'

Be sure to search this forum.... lots of Loveland info.

Contact the Thompson School district to find specific schools expertise, then focus your attention on these areas. Thompson School District

If you like rural areas, look to the places around Big Thompson school (~8 miles west of Loveland.) Big T School is pretty good for elementary, but you have to go to town for Jr Hi / High School,

There is a good shortcut to Longmont from this area. South on Carter Lake Rd, drops you west of Berthoud, good road all the way. (No stoplights )

Waterdale Dr (Across hwy 34 to the north) has some nice places, but not much 'older', there are a few older log ranch homes in the area, but it is pretty nice, tho plenty of west bound traffic in summer (to Estes Park)

(alternate area) Boedecker / Lone Tree / Lon Hagler Lake area, (SW of Loveland) also a decent shortcut to Longmont.

an old area in Loveland I like is near Bill Reed Jr High, from W 4th St north to Lake Loveland (Eisenhower), and from Garfield, west to Duffield. Also around Veterans Park Hwy 34(Eisenhower) and Grant, the NE corner of area described. There was an older repo house listed on the SW corner of W10th and Garfield St, that I saw yesterday. It doesn't have a very nice lot (Smaller and not many trees) and is on a bit busy intersection, but there are some nice places nearby.

Other decent older areas are around downtown fire station and Chilson Community center. (East 4th st) Schools will be pretty integrated tho because SE side still has remnants of migrant community. (Good and bad)

other (econo houses, but nice area) ~ 50's vintage is around the Kirkview Park (North Garfield at 23rd st)

The Cherry Hills area built in the 60's has remained a nice neighborhood. (early suburbia)
From Taft west to Wilson, from 18th north to 29th

the area near North Lake Park is nice area too ~ 60's - 70's (29th and Taft)

If you want in-town, I would try to stay within walking distance of the Lake for nice 'circle' walk, and good neighborhoods. I would avoid 'suburbia', if you are ever planning to sell your home... (too much competition (ton's of "me-too" houses for sale), too little 'community' / or services) I think it will become nicer to 'walk' / 'bike' to services, rather than drive. I rode my bike to work everyday but 3, the last year I lived in Loveland. You may also want to be near one of the many community pools (high schools + community center) I really miss that in my current home, where it is 40 miles to nearest pool, and I like to swim daily

Berthoud is decent, but older homes for sale will be few , some are quite nice. You may find yourself driving to Loveland / Longmont frequently.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ68 View Post
We will be moving to Colorado from New York State in July. I have a son in Special Education. The States school accountability reports and greatschools.net are helpful. But still awfully difficult finding information regarding special education. We have narrowed down our search to Loveland/Berthoud or possibly Johnstown/Milliken. My husband works in Longmont, from what I have researched the schools in Longmont dont appear to be all that safe. We will not be looking there. I prefer the Loveland area, as I am from Central New York and appreciate the older homes and am used to alot of snow. We are trying to narrow down our house hunting to only areas with good safe schools. I would appreciate any advise on where to look or who to call in regards to special education in the area.
all of Loveland seemed safe to me. I would have had no 2nd thoughts about the safety of my 6 year old in Loveland. If you have young children, don't get a home around the Monroe Elementary area, its a horrible school. I could go on and one why its terrible, but I don't want you to assume its not safe. It probably is as safe as any other place in Loveland.

Before you move to Loveland, make sure you can handle the nasty smell in the air. We lived in an area by the East Wallmart and its stunk bad. When we bought our home, we did not notice it because there was no wind that day. We came from out of state, and I wish we had done more investigation. Cow crap smells like $$$ to the Farms and Rances, but to me it smelled like cow crap. I think there was a slaughter house nearby also, add that to the sewage treatment plant just south west of our address and you have a situration that is a bit unpleasant.

Buy your furniture from American Furniture warehouse, they are the lowest prices in the nation, but I would not expect good cust service. So your youll save, but your kind of on your own.

Buy a home that faces SOUTH I think. Your driveway will melt after a few day, after it snows (corrected me if Im wrong everybody).

WHen its all said and done, youll move back to the state you hated before, and realize that you did not have it so bad.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,116 posts, read 45,215,007 times
I prefer a south facing view (big windows for solar gain) and a west facing Garage, so the snow does not congregate on the 'downwind' side of house (less volume to shovel from drive, more help from north wind, afternoon sun to melt)

You will note none of the places I recommended are on the east side of town (where the sewer plant and few remaining cows are) But since I attended college in Greeley, Loveland smelled pretty good (Except for sugar factory, now no longer operating). But then I spent lots of time on a Dairy farm, so I smelled that way too after getting up at 4:30AM and SO HAPPY to finally get to run off to school at 7:30, and to run home at 4:30pm for 'round 2' (seven days / week...). There are worse things to smell when you deal with poor and war torn countries. Death and the dying get pretty rank, cows are a more pleasing aroma. (That is why city folks should stay in the city, and people who don't like airplane noise should not move near airports...)

Old 06-20-2008, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
I prefer a south facing view (big windows for solar gain) and a west facing Garage, so the snow does not congregate on the 'downwind' side of house (less volume to shovel from drive, more help from north wind, afternoon sun to melt)

You will note none of the places I recommended are on the east side of town (where the sewer plant and few remaining cows are) But since I attended college in Greeley, Loveland smelled pretty good (Except for sugar factory, now no longer operating). But then I spent lots of time on a Dairy farm, so I smelled that way too after getting up at 4:30AM and SO HAPPY to finally get to run off to school at 7:30, and to run home at 4:30pm for 'round 2' (seven days / week...). There are worse things to smell when you deal with poor and war torn countries. Death and the dying get pretty rank, cows are a more pleasing aroma. (That is why city folks should stay in the city, and people who don't like airplane noise should not move near airports...)
well, I cant be sure there wasn't any dead decaying bodies near my home, but I will just say I never saw any. I will say this, my neighbors didnt even notice the smell, my family however hated going outside. I don't know what was wrong with those other noses in the neighborhood.

I don't want to leave everyone with a bad taste (smell) of Loveland. If you like a lake in the middle of town (which no one but the homeowners around it can use), Cancer causing bike paths (that run along very loud popping power lines), an exit off the 25 that is a death trap, as you have to be an airline pilot to navigate it just right so you dont get rear ended on one end, and side swipped when you enter Loveland.....Why then you might really like the place. I could never really give my thoughts b4, and I appologies for that, but I had to sell my house, and certainly didnt want to scare anyone away. That said, Do Ft Collins or the West side like JanB says.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,752 times
my boyfriend and i are interested in possibly relocating to loveland from college station, tx (not the most scenic place ever). basically, we want beauty surrounding us, affordable living, open minded people, community, decent weather, biking areas, art. so, ive heard people comment that since it doesnt have much main stream crap, it might not be the best. but, i dont want any of that. so, it loveland a good place for that?

Old 04-21-2011, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 26,604 times
Default Looking to move to the Loveland, CO area

We are considering moving to Colorado. Currently we live in Kearney Nebraska and I really like the size and type of community it is. I wouldnt be opposed to a little bigger town but nothing in comparison to the size of Lincoln or Omaha. Me and my husband are a young couple looking for a nice place we can call home and eventually raise a family. He has a degree and experience for utility line work, are there any power companies out there that he could work for? I have a Business and Finance degree. Would it be hard for us young adults to find jobs? I was looking at the Loveland area because I have family in western Nebraska and would like to stay close to them. Not sure whether to rent or buy and also what the schools are like? After reading some comments I think I would really like Loveland or Windsor. Could someone please update me on some more current information about these towns.. I am getting mixed answers on the population. Any information would be helpful and very appreciated.
Please help. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area