U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 01:17 AM

336 posts, read 655,448 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have been to the Salida...Cotopaxi and Westcliffe areas and
know I really like the seclusion...people are saying that perhaps I
should look at something a little more populus because of my husbands
health issues...so what about the Fort Collins or Livermore area? BTW,
where is Livermore...haha... (I just found a house that I liked there,
hadn't researched it much yet) y'all are all scaring me about gangs
and Greely...so is Fort Collins toooo close to that area....not wanting
to move from podunk Texas to somewhere that will put my family
in harms way....appreciate any input...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 10:45 AM

2,755 posts, read 12,070,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri722 View Post
BTW,
where is Livermore...haha... (I just found a house that I liked there,
hadn't researched it much yet) y'all are all scaring me about gangs
and Greely...so is Fort Collins toooo close to that area....not wanting
to move from podunk Texas to somewhere that will put my family
in harms way....appreciate any input...
Greeley and Fort Collins aren't all that close to each other. It would probably take you nearly an hour to drive between downtown FC to downtown Greeley, so the gang influences (such as they are) in Greeley don't impact Fort Collins at all. In fact, I'd think it's safe to say that Fort Collins doesn't have much of a crime problem, and what issues it does have tend to be confined to a fairly small area.

As for Livermore, it's a tiny town northwest of Fort Collins, right at/in the foothills. It's on the way to Red Feather Lakes in the mountains. Count on about a 30 minute drive to the center of Fort Collins.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:29 PM

566 posts, read 1,783,076 times
Fort Collins has got to be one of the safest places anywhere. You'll see lots of people walking even in the dark. The parks are clean and safe (at least those near us on the south side). I never feel uncomfortable going about my daily routine like I often did in CA. Greely isn't really terrible compared to the problems found in most big cities. But it does not feel safe like FC - especially after dark. If you can stand the weather, find work, and get used to being away from city convencinces then Ft. Collins really is hard to beat.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:05 AM

423 posts, read 1,838,224 times
Fort Collins is a safe town. As far as living in the secluded areas with your husbands health issues, depending on how severe they are I would rethink that. There are times that it takes a good 30 minutes or more to get an ambulance to a patient in the mountains depending on where they are. A good area to look into would be around horsetooth reservoir. It is still secluded and within 10-15 minutes of Fort Collins. Just remember when buying a house that the winters can be harsh in the mountains and access can be impossible at times. This is not much of a problem for normal day to day stuff but when you have an emergency it can be a terrible situation.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:07 PM

336 posts, read 655,448 times
Thanks Tom...I appreciate that information...and I am lucky enough that although he
has a brain injury...there are no further health issues...but I do need to consider the
*what if's* of the future...it took me awhile to answer you because we just got our
electricity back...from hurricane Ike...another reason to wave goodbye to SE Texas...

Old 09-21-2008, 09:02 PM

423 posts, read 1,838,224 times
Terri

Sorry you got hit by the hurricane. Hopefully you are all safe and did not lose too much. That would be reason enough for me to get out of there too!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area