Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 13,023 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to the area from Houston, TX where it was easy to live off of delicious, inexpensive real Mexican food (not Tex-Mex) from hole-in-the-wall taquerias and taco trucks. So far, I haven't had much luck finding many authentic places (though Taqueria Los Comales on Prospect is pretty good). Also, I'm willing to drive to Loveland or Greeley. Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

(On a side note, I also really love goood PIZZA, so help me out there too.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
There's not much truly authentic Mexican in Fort Collins, to be honest. Taqueria Los Comales is about as good as you'll find. There are several American Southwest/Mexican places that are worth checking out. The original Big City Burrito is quite good, particularly thier potato burrito. Don't bother with any other location other than their one by CSU though. There's another descent place called "La Luz" in old town that is worth a try. Neither even claim to be particularly Mexican, however, and they're not.

As for pizza, that's so subjective it's hard to tell you. Beau Jo's in old town is worth a try, but I'll warn you that the pizza style is likely very different from what you're used to (ultra thick crust baked with honey), but it's a Colorado favorite so you have to go there at least once. You can try the lunch buffet to sample their different styles. A more traditional pizza can be had at Positano's Pizza on South College, pretty good. PanHandler's is a decent college delivery pizza. There are probably some others that have sprung up since I left town.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:51 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
I like Adelita's in old town Loveland

Old 01-25-2009, 05:06 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,220 times
It depends on what you mean by Mexican food. There's an incredible amount of regional variety in Mexico, but we don't get much of that in the States. There's a restaurant called Las Tarascos (near downtown on College) that is owned by people from the southern Mexican state of Michoacan. They have all the standard stuff that is associated with Mexican food here, but they also have some regional specialities. I highly recommend the shrimp in diablo sauce or tricolor enchiladas (with 3 sauces that are red, green, and white to match the Mexican flag).

For New Mexican green chile sauce I recommend Consuelos (although they unfortunately don't make a vegetarian version). I also like Los Comales (mentioned by some other posters).

Other then those, I'm afraid that most Mexican restauants here just offer the generic 5 or 6 ingredients combined in slighly different ways (and covered with half a pound of melted cheese).

Old 01-26-2009, 08:12 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times
As long as you don't mind the drive to Loveland I recommend Abo's or Dare's for pizza. Abos is NY style and have another store in, I think, Boulder. They're at 287 at 29th, SW corner in a small center. Dare's is in the Albertson's center at Taft & US 34. During lunch they offer pizza by the slice.

I can't recall the Mexican place on the south side of town but it's pretty good. It's on the east side of US 287 between SW 14th and 1st ST. It's just about the spot where US 287 splits into a divided road. Doesn't look like much which to me is a good sign.

golfgod

Old 02-09-2009, 03:14 PM

30 posts, read 113,936 times
I enjoy Los Torascos (about as authentic as you can get in old town) and Pueblo Viejo and El Burrito and Los Comales. Consuelos is good, but the atmosphere and ambiance are pretty old school and plain.

There are several other mexican restaurants in the area, but they are either tex-mex or not very authentic.

On to the pizza scene. Whoa where do I start. I have been here six years and have just recently found a favorite pizza place. There are TONS of low-budget-deliver-to-student types such as Blackjack and Pudge bros etc. And the grease from Pizza Casbah really makes my stomach hurt.

I go to Pizzeria La Collina (easily my favorite in FC), Old Chicago, Woodys, and Pizza Hut (its honestly pretty good)

If you get a frozen pizza, make sure its Home Run Inn.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:16 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
I'm aware that the Rio Grande isn't authentic Mexican food...Actually used to work at the Boulder location about 12 years ago...Any way I am heading up to Fort Collins for a few days---how is the place these days?..is it still a pretty solid quality Tex- Mex place to eat?...their fajitas used to be some of the best..WHAT SAY YOU LOCALS....

Old 02-09-2009, 11:46 PM

30 posts, read 113,936 times
Yeah its good tex-mex and still have great margs. I really only go there during the summer and on Fri and Sat the place is a madhouse. Not sure about the winter time though.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:00 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,200,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshaunfield View Post
I recently moved to the area from Houston, TX where it was easy to live off of delicious, inexpensive real Mexican food (not Tex-Mex) from hole-in-the-wall taquerias and taco trucks. So far, I haven't had much luck finding many authentic places (though Taqueria Los Comales on Prospect is pretty good). Also, I'm willing to drive to Loveland or Greeley. Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

(On a side note, I also really love goood PIZZA, so help me out there too.)
Haven't tried any of the places mentioned in previous posts in Fort Collins...but I will be trying them as soon as I can

The best Mexican food is in Denver where there are many local Mom-and-Pop places. Think Los Dos Patrillos at County Line and Holly...they have a fabulous mariachi band there one or two nights a week. Also, the Bluebonnet on Broadyway. Benny's in Capitol Hill. Tacqueria Patzcuaro in north Denver/Highlands area...don't be afraid to go here, the neighborhood is fine...many downtown folks come for lunch. Jose O'Shea's on the west side of Denver. La Cocina off Quebec/Iliff.

Tosh's Hacienda near downtown and the DTC, El Taco de Mexico near dntn, La Loma in north Denver, La Fogata on E. Evans...

Also, 3 Margaritas (Denver, Loveland and Fort Collins) can have great food, depending on what you order. There are a lot more, but my memory is fading Till the next time...Adios!

P.S. Greeley used to have Tio Juan's...but it folded. It was very good. Anyone know of any really authentic places in Greeley?

Last edited by 'M'; 10-04-2009 at 02:46 PM..

Old 10-07-2009, 05:06 AM

345 posts, read 973,732 times
The best pizza in the fort is Cozzola's (locations in Old Town and on S. Lemay).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area