Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:52 AM

6 posts, read 17,511 times

Advertisements

Am I legaly bound to pay for utilities at a house I do not live in? I sub-leased my room in Fort Collins, Colorado. The person skiped out on rent and is no longer in the house. This leaves me tied to the lease. I am paying rent for the room until a new tenant can be found. Am I legaly bound to pay for utilities? It states no where in the lease about utilities. What is the Law say about this in Fort Collins, CO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 09:12 PM

423 posts, read 1,959,382 times
If your name is on the lease and on the utilities you are responsible. However there is always small claims court that you can go through to try to get your money back from the person who skipped out.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:09 PM

Thank you! what is the case if I am not on any of the bills? I terminated all my accounts and they are now all in my ex-roommates name own account and I am not a secondary on any of the bills. The sub-lease person is not much of an option. He is long gone.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:11 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
If your name isn't on the lease, they can't make you pay but what's going to happen when they shut off the utilities on you?

Old 02-04-2009, 09:26 AM

Thanks for all the response. What I am trying to avoid is my roommate, that Is in the house all by himself, from pressing charges against me. Can or does he have the power to do this? My name IS on the lease.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:27 PM

Default What if im not on the utilities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emmerling View Post
If your name is on the lease and on the utilities you are responsible. However there is always small claims court that you can go through to try to get your money back from the person who skipped out.
Thanks for your input but what I really need to know is am I responsible for the house utilities if my name is NOT on any of the bills? I am tied to the lease but am not living there at all.
My old roommate wants me to pay half but I don't think that I have to pay any at all since my name is not on any of the bills. Am I correct about this?

Old 02-04-2009, 07:01 PM

423 posts, read 1,959,382 times
They can not necessarily "press charges" against you but they can take you to small claims court since this is a civil case and not a criminal case. I would think that if you made the agreement when you moved in to pay the utilities and then you broke your lease and moved out for whatever reason then you are probably going to have to pay them. Especially if they take you to court.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:41 PM

This is even if I didn't break the lease? I am still paying rent each month so I have not broke a lease. My roommate refuses to help in finding a new tenant and having him pay all utilities is the only motivation I can think to give him to help with the mutual problem him, myself, and our landlord have.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:55 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
The city of Fort Collins offers a mediation service for disputes involving rentals, landlords, etc. It seems like a good match for what you need -- allow everyone to present their case without shelling out big in legal fees.

Community mediation: City of Fort Collins

Old 02-10-2009, 09:27 PM

Thank you for the informatio. My roommate said that he would take me to small claims court for the utilities.
My next question is am I responsible for a Comcast bill? That is internet and cable television. This to me is a luxury, not a nessesity. Am I liable for his entertainment? He belives I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area