U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2007, 03:50 PM

5 posts, read 17,877 times

Advertisements

My wife just got an incredible job in Greeley and my job is based in downtown Denver (just got transferred and its a client service job which can take me all over the Denver area from downtown to as far away as Boulder or Greeley). We've been out to Denver twice since we've decided to make the move and we've narrowed our search down to Longmont & Erie. We really love the amenities, the character, and the community feel of Longmont. But we also like the new and upcoming feel to Erie - we get the feel that Erie is really growing and has a great plan for the future.

We would like to know any information regarding these two areas that might help us decide on the two. We realize that we both will have a longer than ideal commute - but with a little luck my clients will be based in the North. Any information on the commutes from the two locations for each of us, information on the areas, the school districts, things to do, real estate values (what's too much to pay, HOA's to avoid, bad areas, etc.), things to do, great restaurants - Or if there is somewhere else entirely different you would suggest we look into given our separate job locations -

All comments appreciated. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 05:27 PM

11,286 posts, read 46,207,149 times
From Erie, it's 45 minutes to each location. You've got good access to Ft Collins, Denver, Greeley for all your shopping and entertainment needs. Access to the mountains was good, too, for recreation ... skiing, hiking, camping, fishing, boating, etc.

We loved living there, but the planned development was crimping our equine and livestock lifestyle, so we've moved on up to our ranch in Wyoming.

However, I'd suggest you also look at the Hwy 85 corridor a bit North of Denver. There's more open space still available for reasonable cost and you'll still have great access to the shopping and amenities of Denver or Greeley. On a daily basis, it may be much more convenient for you, and when you head on out to the mountains, it won't be that much more travel for that.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:51 AM

19 posts, read 130,938 times
We are in a similiar position, where one of use needs to be able to go south and one to go north! We have also been looking at Erie/Longmont area, but have found that Firestone and Frederick seem to have some nice features as well. Unsure yet where we will settle. Anyone know about the Frederick area? Safety, features, private schools, etc? We have found houses in Firestone, Frederick, Dacono, and Fort Lupton that were appealing but havn't been able to find much about these areas.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:37 AM

5 posts, read 17,877 times
Default help

Anybody from Longmont or Erie that can speak to this?

Old 03-20-2007, 09:27 AM

106 posts, read 405,485 times
I live in Firestone, and work in Longmont.

We like Firestone a lot, it's a growing community - which of course has it's good and bad. The school around here are in the St. Vrain School District (http://www.stvrain.k12.co.us/) and are not bad, but not great. We have been lucky that while we have had some really good teachers (and I think that may be the norm) the "admin" staff is less than optimal.

Longmont isn't a bad place, but you have to be careful where you move, it's good sections are nice, it's bad sections.... well let's just say you might have a meth lab as a neighbor.

When we first looked to move out here we were looking at Erie, and it still seems to be a nice place. We talked to the admin staff at the school in Erie (the Elementary school) and they seemed very nice. We have an autistic child and they said they had just gotten some training on that and were looking forward to working with our child. Unfortunately the house fell through, and that's when we found the place in Firestone.

I can say the dining in the Longmont, Firestone/Fredrick/Dacono (Or Tri-Town) is... ok. Lot's of National/Local chains and a few Mom & Pop type places. Pretty decent Mexican, and actually very good Chinese. That's about it really for the Mom & Pop ones.

OOO, Also big + to the Tri-Town area... Weld County. You will have MUCH lower property, sales, and vehicle taxes. If you could find something in an unincorporated area (none of the new housing developments are to my knowledge) it's even cheaper.

There are quiet a number of police in the Tri-Town area, each city has their own force which is probably over kill specially when you figure that the Sheriff's Dept patrol out here too. But, there is a low crime rate it's safe to walk the streets at night, heck I've left windows open at night (got big dogs though) and I'm pretty paranoid.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:27 AM

19 posts, read 87,670 times
Erie has a great comp plan on their town website (at least they did back in 2003). We were strongly leaning towards living there back then but Firestone won out. Erie will quickly be a crowded Denver suburb, IMO, and is already getting there. I've tired of the constant construction driving in that area, too.

IMHO, Firestone is the town to live in. We live in St. Vrain Ranch and it's a quiet yet active neighborhood. The mayor and the police chief both live in St. Vrain Ranch. Neighbors are friendly and respectful. In the middle of the neighborhood is the Prairie Ridge elementary school (you can check it out on greatschools.net) and on the north side is Patterson Park where there are soccer and football practices and games in the Spring and Fall. There's also an annual flag football game played every Thanksgiving morning in Patterson Park that's just alot of fun to watch.

Kids walk to and from school during the week. There is a paved trail system that runs throughout the neighborhood, linking the parks and schools, and there's always walkers, bikers and runners on it. The main Firestone Trail (you can probably google the history on it) runs on the West side of the neighborhood and once in it, you can go for miles, North or South and link up to other trail systems. There's nothing more refreshing than enjoying the fabulous Rocky Mountain view as you walk/jog/bike or skate on the trails. There are parks on the East, West and North side of St. Vrain Ranch and beginning in the 2007, the first part of the 272 acre Central Park just north of the neighborhood and within walking distance of the north side of St. Vrain Ranch will open. This park is going to be the bomb, with the library, a lake with a swim beach, the Firestone Rec Center and other cultural and community centers! You can see photos and a planned map at www.ci.firestone.co.us

Two new elementary schools are slated to open in the next couple years, one charter, one public. A 20 acre recreation park with soccer fields and batting cages, etc. is planned nearby. This is a fabulous growing community without the congestion of city suburbs, where you can recognize people you know wherever you go. There are abundant activities for all ages and recreation within easy distances.

If this sounds a little "ad"-y because it's from my house listing. We unfortunately are moving (husband's job relocation), which has made me really appreciate our house, neighborhood and community that much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area