U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2007, 09:30 AM

7 posts, read 48,695 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm starting a job in Greeley in September, but have been encouraged by friends who know the area to consider living in Ft. Collins. I've been led to believe I can make the commute in about 30-40 minutes if I find a place in the south or central part of Ft. Collins. They told me they like the city a lot more--it has nice parks, more restaurants and things to do in the evening, etc. So I'm wondering what others think. I'd particularly welcome advice from people who know the area well and can offer some personal experience with one or both cities.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 10:31 AM

585 posts, read 2,072,421 times
A 30-40 min commute sounds reasonable. Fort Collins does have a bustling nightlife, the Old Town area is fantastic but it sometimes gets too busy since it supports such a large population these days. Living in the south and central will put you in the burbs. Having easy access to I25 or living on the east side of Fort Collins will also shorten your commute time.

Greeley does have a few good points but it's not considered as nice as Fort Collins.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:36 AM

11,369 posts, read 47,004,896 times
The drive south on I25 and then eastward to Greeley is not too bad for traffic in good weather conditions, but you should be aware that you'll have a difficult wintertime (October through May) commute if there's a heavy snowstorm in progress. You will encounter a lot of slow driving during normal "rush hour" in Fort Collins, during snow days it can be pretty jammed up and make your commute easily double to triple your "normal" time.

Typically, the mid-winter storms cycle through for 2-3 days, followed by 2-3 days of clear skies and bright sunshine which melts a lot of the snow. The bad driving will be during the snowstorm (low visibility & slick roads), and during the days after when "black ice" forms on the road from daytime melting of the snow freezing onto the roadway.

As an alternative to commuting to Fort Collins, I'd suggest you look into the strip of communities along or near Hwy 85 that runs N-S through Greeley. Your dollars will buy a lot more house/property in that area than Fort Collins and you can still have reasonable access to FortC when you want to go there for shopping/restaurants, etc. combined with a much shorter daily commute.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Sid

12 posts, read 120,763 times
There is nothing wrong with Greeley. Its growing, OK shopping there, nice people. Why work a long way from work?

Sid

Old 04-08-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
There is nothing wrong with Greeley. Its growing, OK shopping there, nice people. Why work a long way from work?

Sid
That's precisely what I'm trying to determine. I've heard conflicting stories and I'm trying to get some additional information that might help me make my decision about where to live. Any more substantial thoughts on Greeley? Nice or not-so-nice parts of town? Neighborhoods with decent rentals available but that don't end up being full of nothing but students, for example? Other reasons why one might want to live in Greeley?

Old 04-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Sid

I'm in Denver and sometimes have the need to go to Greeley. Knowing what I know of Greeley, and if I were moving and going to work in Greeley, there would be no reason not to live there. Its a nice place, like I said its growing, and most of what you might need you can find there. Denver is just over and hour away. So big city life is not far away.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:30 PM

Default RE: available housing

One of the reasons why I'm considering Ft. Collins over Greeley is the sheer quantity of rental properties. When I browse for housing in Greeley, I come up with much less than when I search in Ft. Collins. Anyone have any suggestions about the best areas to rent in either city? I'm going to be needing a place that will permit a dog, which can make things more challenging.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:11 AM
Sid

Greeley will be less expensive. And alot smaller population.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:55 AM

585 posts, read 2,072,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moustique33 View Post
One of the reasons why I'm considering Ft. Collins over Greeley is the sheer quantity of rental properties. When I browse for housing in Greeley, I come up with much less than when I search in Ft. Collins. Anyone have any suggestions about the best areas to rent in either city? I'm going to be needing a place that will permit a dog, which can make things more challenging.
Fort Collins has a very large college population which could explain the better options. Also, Fort Collins is pretty dog friendly in all aspects so you shouldn't have a tough time finding a place.

There aren't any real bad neighborhoods in Fort Collins. A lot depends what you are into. You have a high college population around the college which some might consider to be not so desirable. Some parts of the north end of town are a tad sketchy but neighborhoods like that are pockmarked throughout the city. You'd have to actually visit the hoods to see what they are like.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:23 AM

16 posts, read 102,293 times
I know people who commute between FC and Greeley. It's not an enjoyable experience. The drive is lousy, there's nothing to look at, and if the weather is bad it takes twice as long.

I'd consider east loveland or windsor. They're both boring compared to fort collins, but they're nicer than greeley and a lot closer to where you work than FC. There are parts of greeley that are ok too, just make sure you check it out first.

Fort collins is definitely a good place to be with a dog. It's no metropolis but there's some decent stuff to do. In terms of neighbourhoods.... I live in arguably the worst neighbourhood in FC and it's perfectly safe. FC is a joke when it comes to crime.

Greeley is definitely the overall cheapest city in northern colorado to live in. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area