Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:12 PM

6 posts, read 27,522 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering moving to Ft Collins and would love to live in a downtown loft/condo. But during my last visit, I was very surprised to see train tracks going right through the middle of downtown! How disturbing is the train for those who live near by??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 10:51 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
I'm not sure how the noise issue affects things, but it is quite a pain waiting for the trains at crossings. They tend to come through at night, and mostly just roll and by at 5 miles an hour. I don't think they routinely blow horns at level crossings, thankfully, but don't quote me on that. So, if you're out late, you could be sitting at railroad crossing for 15-20 minutes or so!

There's no chance of the tracks ever actually going away, but there is talk about routing most of the trains out east by building tracks that will bypass the major cities for the front range. It seems to be one of those things that "will happen for sure," "if we can find money for it." So, who knows?

Old 10-05-2008, 12:43 PM

423 posts, read 1,959,845 times
I have never heard of anyone complain about the train noise in downtown Fort Collins, but as tfox said it is a big issue in the daytime when trains block the intersections. Mainly this is along Vine street and Lemay and Riverside and Riverside and Mulberry.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:09 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
FWIW:
I used to live on Howes, adjacent to the Mason Street tracks.
The train constantly went by, through the night.
Not only did I get used to the sound, it eventually became rather soothing.
Many years later, I once again live near the sound of a train, though this one is farther away and the sound more subtle. I like it.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:05 PM

6 posts, read 27,522 times
Thanks!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:52 AM

585 posts, read 2,223,504 times
I've lived close to train tracks before, maybe 4 blocks away. Not in Fort Collins though. It really, really sucks at first but after a few months you get used to it.

In Fort Collins, we lived about 1/2 mile from the tracks and I could hear the train go through town several times a night. I got used to that as well but it took a while.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 12,422 times
Default Trains

I do have a friend living near the tracks-they said that you get use to them going through at night.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:53 PM

11 posts, read 47,263 times
Default Trains have come through Fort Collins many years!

I am from Fort Collins and I know how annoying the trains can be. Back-up after back-up of traffic and you will end up waiting half an hour or 45 minutes just to get two blocks! If you are moving to Fort Collins, planning to...PREPARE to wait for the trains!

However, the train (Burlington Northern) has rights to the land in Fort Collins and has for many, many, many years and has come through Fort Collins for decades. It may not be convenient, but it's a fact and I don't see how Fort Collins, those who will complain can do anything about it. I guess Fort Collins didn't have the foresight to see that overpasses might be handy! Cheyenne uses them..I just wonder why Fort Collins didn't think of it also?!...

Old 11-04-2008, 12:25 PM

30 posts, read 114,003 times
I live on Mason (where the tracks are) and the horn is pretty loud. But you get used to it. I actually kinda like hearing the horn, probably because I find locomotives fascinating.

As far as traffic goes. Yes it gets backed up, and if you get mad at traffic being backed up in a small town like Fort Collins you have probably never experienced big city traffic, because its really not bad at all

Old 04-18-2009, 03:33 PM

4 posts, read 17,612 times
I moved to Fort Collins a few months ago and live in one of the condo buildings downtown. The trains come by morning noon and night (I'm not just talking 8pm, I'm talking 2, 3, 4, 5am) and they are <<<loud>>>. Forget about leaving your windows open. Everyone has their limits on what they are willing to live with, so my advice is to make sure you know what you are getting into before you sign anything. PS, before moving to FC, I lived around the corner from a firehouse in one of the largest cities in the U.S. (so when I say the trains are loud, they are loud). That being said, living downtown in FC is awesome. We have so much fun living so close to nightlife, and for us, the train was a tradeoff we were willing to make.

Re: traffic, I agree with Crazy88...traffic is not bad at all especially if you are from a larger town/city.

Good luck with your search! If you have any other questions feel free to contact me directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area