Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 09:16 PM

47 posts, read 220,362 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever rented from www.homesbycampus.com?
I'm relocating from the east coast and have been corresponding with the owner about a duplex, and there are a few things that aren't sitting right. I'm not sure if they are warranted feelings or just nervousness about moving into a place I won't be able to view.

Any feedback?

I've been looking at places for rent on craigslist and it seems like a lot of the houses/duplexes do not include any utilities. I have never heard of that and have always had water/sewer and trash paid by the landlord/included in the rent (in both CA and MA). Is it normal to have to pay for ALL utilities in Fort Collins when you rent a house as opposed to an apartment?

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-07-2009 at 10:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 04:16 PM

697 posts, read 3,270,881 times
Paying all the utilities is normal all over the west it seems. Some landlords will pay the city services but not many will pay much more.

As for that website, I have no experience with it. Northerncoloradorentals.com helped us out a lot. As did craigslist.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:01 PM

32 posts, read 147,442 times
Very normal to pay utilities. There will be thousands of rentals coming on the market since CSU is out for the summer starting next week. 23,000 students will be going home. Now is the time to find a rental, but just a word of wisdom. Do not agree to anything over the internet. Some look great on-line, but most rental homes and apartments are in bad shape or in bad areas.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:50 PM

47 posts, read 220,362 times
it's just weird that no utilities are covered by the landlord. I grew up on the west coast in Sacramento and then moved to the North Bay close to San Francisco and never heard of that. so it's a new thing

we can't take a trip across the country to select a house, so we're going to try our luck with finding something over the internet...a bit nervous about that but am crossing my fingers that it works out! my boyfriend will be moving out a month earlier then me - the beginning of July - would that be too late to find a decent house for an August 1st move in date? Also, you think more rentals will be coming on the market shortly (in your experience)?

Old 05-13-2009, 10:36 PM

59 posts, read 193,282 times
Yes, it is typical for you to pay utilities. I pay trash and water but electric and gas are paid by tenant. Where is the duplex? I may be able to give you some insight on the area. Touchstone property Management has been around for awhile. I can't comment either positively or negatively about them.

What type of place are you looking for? Depending on what you want will also determine how difficult it will be to find. Do you have any pets? 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom or more? Fenced yard? [cut] July and August are also a good time to find rentals. You should be okay! Let me know and I'll provide whatever insight I can. You'll love CSU it is a great place and a beautiful campus.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-15-2009 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: cut material should be send via DM

Old 05-15-2009, 10:43 AM

88 posts, read 282,082 times
Same here in Texas...very few landlords pay for trash/sewer/water.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:50 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,931,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl1082 View Post

I've been looking at places for rent on craigslist and it seems like a lot of the houses/duplexes do not include any utilities. I have never heard of that and have always had water/sewer and trash paid by the landlord/included in the rent (in both CA and MA). Is it normal to have to pay for ALL utilities in Fort Collins when you rent a house as opposed to an apartment?
Trash is handled by private trash services in Fort Collins (examples: Gallegos Sanitation, WM, Ram), so for that reason it's normal to pay for trash for a house. Usually apartments have it included. In other places in Colorado, like Denver, trash is done "for free" by the city, so for that reason it's always included tehre.

Water and Electric are usually on one bill supplied by Fort Collins utilities. So, that's the reason why water isn't included, either. Gas is on a separate bill, Xcel Energy -- that's also rarely included.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:06 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,422,243 times
Pretty much all over the Front Range you have to pay the utilities yourself. Some apartment complexes will "include" water/sewer and trash with the rent but if you're going with a private landlord, expect to pay for most if not all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area