Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 03:38 PM

178 posts, read 506,187 times

Advertisements

Have you lived in or visited Estes much? I can't say anything specific about the neighborhood. Every time I've driven by it seems nice enough, and is certainly well-located (though getting around town in general isn't that much of a problem), in that you can quickly cut back behind town, go into the park, go into town, whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 08:08 PM

108 posts, read 411,197 times
Thanks for your reply. I have never been to Estes park. The rental property is for a vacation. It is tough to choose vacation properties sight unseen from far away.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:08 AM

61 posts, read 300,133 times
I vacation is Estes Park at least once a year (in fact I'm heading up there in about 3 weeks) and I absolutely love it. It is a small, calmer mountain town compared to some of the others that people normally vacation at (Vail, etc). My husband and I are also going to be purchasing vacation property there in the next 2 years.
The rental season for vacation homes there is very seasonal. The town is VERY quiet and tourism nearly screeches to a halt in the winter. So for owning a rental, that is something to keep in mind. It is one of my personal favorite times to visit - but you have to be aware of the amount of snow - and access to the town on mountain roads can hinder some people.
But during the warm months, Estes Park opens to tourists and the town basically runs on the commerce brought in during that time.
It's a beautiful town with a great little downtown area. And being at the entrance to RMNP, you can't go wrong (in my opinion - I'm from Chicago btw).
Good luck with your property! I know there are a few Estes Park residents who can also shed some more light for you.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:25 AM

11,549 posts, read 52,913,295 times
Joyful's post brings us to a major concern ... the time of the year that you're planning your vacation in Estes Park. Absoutely correct that EP is "calmer" at the end of November when the "ski resorts" are hitting their major winter busy season at Thanksgiving.

If you're going to EP in the off-season, the town is bascially shut down ... and there's little difference between any of the "neigborhoods" as far as upkeep, cleanliness, or access to the central area. Some are nestled in the trees on the hills around the town, some down by the lake, some by the fairgrounds ... all within a couple of minutes of the "downtown" main street.

Much of the shopping and restaurants will be closed at this time of year in EP. So, if you're looking for a lot of peace and quiet .... you'll be able to get it.

OTOH, if you're seeking "calm" peace and quiet for a get-away ... the summer months in EP are anything but.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:36 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,959,600 times
Wink Your exact spot

As far as I know everything on Giant Track Road is residential, basically modest residences scattered across the hillside on large lots. Presumably you would be renting a house in the area. Not one of my favorites but you might like it due the panoramic view many of the properties enjoy.

The date of your visit will make a big difference, particularly someplace such as Giant Track. Some of the roads there are privately maintained, not by town or county. Some are steep and even with four wheel drive you might get in some unintended bobsledding.

Also be aware that anytime save summer this tends to be one of the windier areas of Estes Park. By that I mean you might wonder if the roof will last the night.

Given its topography Estes Park has a lot of distinctive neighborhoods, often quite different in the space of only a few hundred yards. The general flavor is the same, in being a small and beautifully situated resort town. You can count on that. But depending on exactly where you land your experience can be quite different. What do you enjoy more, peace and quiet, or activity and easy access to it?

Another thing about Giant Track, unless you enjoy long hikes you'll be using the car for visits the the town center. On the other hand, you'll have relatively easy access to Rocky Mountain National Park. Of course anywhere within Estes Park enjoys this advantage, within measure. However, there are some places where you can literally walk from the front door and into the Park, never touching your car.

Do you like water? Among other natural attributes, Estes Park is blessed with two beautiful clear mountain rivers which literally entwine as one within it, these being the Big Thompson and Fall rivers. If this a consideration then your search should focus on the many resorts and residences which sit directly abreast these rivers.

This is the kind of place where you'll enjoy a magnificent view just about anywhere you are. Nevertheless some areas are clearly superior in this respect. Some of the motels and residences on Hwy 34, on the east side of town towards Loveland, enjoy superlative views of the mountains to the west.

In other words, probably best to begin with knowing exactly what you wish to experience from your visit. As others have mentioned, Estes Park is diametrically different between summer and winter. So this also, do you wish tranquility and cold, the harsh beauty of winter, or the the warm and very busy bustle of summer? As an aside, even if the weather changeable, spring or fall can be some of the absolute best times of year.

My understanding that many tourists are of long standing and have long since decided on favorites, often returning to the exact same spot year after year. But this of course from direct experience. Aside from the wisdom of your question here, I'd also look at maps of the area quite closely, such as via Google. Also consider literature or other information provided very carefully. Experiences of those that have actually stayed somewhere can be very helpful, particularly if you know their criteria. There are surely some web sites which specialize in such things. You might also look at a lot of pictures of the area to gain some sense of neighborhoods you prefer relative to maps, etc.

Also be aware that many lodgings during summer must be booked well in advance.

While you'll surely enjoy your visit, I hope your luck sufficient to land on or near the spot you best like.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:40 PM

108 posts, read 411,197 times
Thank you, IDUNN, this has been very helpful. We are planning on being in Estes Park in the summer despite the crowds. Our purpose tis to experience RMNP and do a lot of hiking. We prefer seclusion. From Google Earth, it seems that Giant Track road, where we are considering a property to rent is on the south western slope. This property has panoramic views for sure. It is so hard choosing a spot for if you check into an unknown place and hate it you are stuck, for sure. basically we are a quiet couple, will be hiking sans children and perhaps some R&R. We are not into touristy things.

The river settings are very tempting but the panoramic views are as well.

As long as the road is quiet and peaceful, that's what we are looking for.
This particular property comes with a warning about needing 4WD in the winter.

Thanks again

Old 11-05-2007, 10:23 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,959,600 times
Wink Addendum

Your welcome.

Giant Track might suite you. The only traffic from your neighbors, although a bit of dust as mostly dirt road. Be aware that most sites such as this, relatively close in to town, incur the ambient noises from below. You will in this location.

It really depends in this regard. Some areas that might seem the worst are actually far quieter than others far more remote. Difficult to determine in advance. Some of the residences located on the mountains to the east of town enjoy great views and, being far enough removed, quiet. And neighbors possibly far enough distant not to be an issue.

Many of the residences towards the far end of Moraine Ave. should be fairly tranquil, often with magnificent views. Just be sure to be beyond the YMCA; anything downstream of it suffers awful traffic come summer.

Something along the Fall river might also suite you. Mostly small lodges scattered for mile upon mile along its length, but also private residences. In the right spot you might enjoy privacy, the river, and mountains as well. This also offers ready access to the less traveled Fall river entrance of Rocky Mountain National Park. Thus relatively heavy traffic on Hwy 34, but many properties lie along the river and well below this road, with sound traveling up. This most likely along Fish Hatchery road, towards the old hydro power plant of the Stanley Hotel.

But even within town there are possibilities. From maps you may have noticed that Estes Park is largely entwined with RMNP. Black Canyon Drive offers a quiet neighborhood with beautiful homes, yet ready access to grocery and other shopping. Also easy access to the Gem Lake trailhead of RMNP. An abundance of beautiful rocks there. Most of these residences probably do not rent, but something might be possible.

Something quite close in on East Riverside Dr. are the Bradshaw Cottages. Easy walking distance to town, although directly on the lightly traveled town street. But also directly on the Big Thompson river. Maybe not your cup of tea, also diminutive in size, but very cute with the feel of a traditional Colorado mountain cabin. What you'll probably hear more than anything, the river. If you do, you'll probably like #2 the best.

At the other end of the spectrum are many cabins well back in the woods where you are unlikely to see, or maybe hear, anybody. You might try south along Hwy 7, towards Allenspark. Anywhere along this highway is also adjacent to RMNP, although only certain locations with trailheads, if you care.

Anyway, whether Giant Track or elsewhere, a lot to choose from. One of the many cabin brokers might prove most helpful in this search.

Best of luck.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:14 PM

17 posts, read 58,241 times
Default Perspective from an Estes Park resident

The Gianttrack area is pretty nice, though quite on the modest side of things (as compared to ritzy Windcliff Estates, etc). Riverside Dr gives you good, low-traffic access to downtown.

I don't know what your budget for a summer rental is like, but if hiking and seclusion is your priority, I recommend a place off High Drive. There seems to be a pretty good mix of residential and vacation places, and the views of Long's Peak from there are really great. Also, High Drive is only about a mile from the Beaver Meadows entrance gate -- you could walk or bike to the visitor's center and take shuttles into the Park or to town.

If you want even more secluded, try outside of Estes. I personally love the area around Meeker -- Cabin Creek Road has some really cool little cabins/cottages. Meeker is off hwy 7, close to the Long's Peak trailhead and the Wild Basin area.

By the way, Estes Park does not totally shut down in the off-season! Many of the nicer shops stay open year-round, with reduced hours. In deepest, darkest winter you can go to Ed's cantina any night of the week for the best margaritas in town. The Rock Inn (off 66) is a favorite hangout for NPS employees, and has live music every weekend all year. Sweet Basilico has a line out the door every night year-round as well. The park is less crowded and therefore all the more enjoyable. It is windy, though!

Good luck finding your ideal vacation spot! I think you will love it here!

Old 11-06-2007, 10:45 AM

26,116 posts, read 48,712,075 times
Lovely area, a real popular place with lots of events. Gateway city into Rocky Mountain National Park. Elk walk around the town, will eat your flowers, hang out all over the place. Great Elk watching in RMNP each fall, bears too.
Attached Thumbnails
Estes Park-colorado-estes-park-20030525-037.jpg  

Old 11-07-2007, 01:52 PM

63 posts, read 487,248 times
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Estes Park. You also might consider Allenspark for a vacation home. It's a little more seculded and is still right at the base on the many enterances to the Park. You might get a little more bang for your buck as well. It's an adorable little town and only ten or twenty minutes (depending on weather and how fast you can drive around those curves) from Estes Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area