U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:19 AM

8 posts, read 33,409 times

Advertisements

I am curious: I recently heard/read that Loveland, CO (the town near Ft. Collins, not the ski area) was one of the top 10 places to live in the U.S. ...or something very similar to that. My wife and I recently visited the town because I am looking into a job there, and we were kind of confused as to why it would have been marketed like that. Don't misunderstand me - it doesn't look like a bad place to live at all, but we just couldn't figure out what would make it such a "nice" place to live...besides the fact that it's easy access to Estes Park and RMNP (and maybe that's why). I mean, I've seen quainter towns, and it just didn't seem like there was much there.

Any insight into Loveland, CO?

Thanks...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 04:18 PM

296 posts, read 748,679 times
Sorry, but I can't help you - I have never seen places with so little character as Loveland and many of those other Northern Colorado and eastern Nebraska towns

Seems to me the main industry of these towns was chain restaurants. I stopped for lunch at a Perkins in E Nebraska which was packed full of fat Americans eating from plates FILLED with food. Looking around and watching them all made me lose my appetite and I couldn't finish my meal. I shall never forget it.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:34 PM

2,662 posts, read 6,247,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane 3953 View Post
Sorry, but I can't help you - I have never seen places with so little character as Loveland and many of those other Northern Colorado and eastern Nebraska towns

Seems to me the main industry of these towns was chain restaurants. I stopped for lunch at a Perkins in E Nebraska which was packed full of fat Americans eating from plates FILLED with food. Looking around and watching them all made me lose my appetite and I couldn't finish my meal. I shall never forget it.
Please note, Perkins in E Nebraska is not in Loveland, CO. Loveland, CO is in Colorado, the state with the lowest percentage of obesity in the US.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:56 PM

32 posts, read 112,003 times
Loveland is horrible, don't even think of moving here. How about New York City?
There is a lot of culture and crap there.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:17 AM

8 posts, read 37,618 times
Why Loveland? Let me count the reasons: Great Schools, great views, fantastic neighbors and a real sense of community. We have art festivals, the county fair, corn roast etc... not to mention access to all that Fort Collins has to offer without the hassle of actually having to live there. We are 1 hour to Denver and minutes to the back country and the endless recreation that is there. I don't mean RMNP, locals only bring out of town friends and family there for the most part, I mean the national forest land that is just there to be explored. I have today off and in about one hour my wife and I are taking our modified jeep to the top of Storm Mountain. That is our backyard, a 9000 foot jeep trail overlooking the city on one side and the divide on the other.
Loveland also has a quaint downtown that most people bypass on their way by on 34. There are some great local restaurants like Henry's and The Black Steer + some of the best buritto joints in NOCO. Did I mention the low crime rate and fantastic weather. I am from seacoast NH originally which is nice in its own way but I would not ever want to return after living here. My trip last month to see the Sox and Yanks(go Sox!) just reinforced that feeling. I have also lived in the Mid-West and traveled to most states in the lower 48 but Loveland always calls me home. Every place has its downside but I have yet to find much of one here other than the ocean is 2 hour flight away,other than that I am in heaven. Just one guys opinion.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:10 PM

5,090 posts, read 14,038,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robjfoley View Post
I am curious: I recently heard/read that Loveland, CO (the town near Ft. Collins, not the ski area) was one of the top 10 places to live in the U.S. ...or something very similar to that. My wife and I recently visited the town because I am looking into a job there, and we were kind of confused as to why it would have been marketed like that. Don't misunderstand me - it doesn't look like a bad place to live at all, but we just couldn't figure out what would make it such a "nice" place to live...besides the fact that it's easy access to Estes Park and RMNP (and maybe that's why). I mean, I've seen quainter towns, and it just didn't seem like there was much there.

Any insight into Loveland, CO?

Thanks...
I have to agree with your view. I have lived in Colorado for over 30 years and I am originally from New York. There are many, many towns, villages and cities, all over the country, that I have seen that are much nicer looking, quainter, and with better scenery than Loveland and Fort Collins. That also goes for Louisville, as the best in Money Magazine---that to me is far from the truth. They are nice places to live, but the best---ah, I do not think so.

When you look at this listing, you will see that they combine different attributes into a score. So, that many areas may have better outdoor amenities and scenery but the economy, and crime may be worse. It seems that the combine scores, based on their evaluations and statistics are better, and then they make the list for the best combine scores. Of course, they manipulate facts, create fictions, and interpret statistics to the point they want to make.

Listen to the little video and the blobbing blog about Louisville, on Money magazine, and you got to laugh. "small town feel" "every one knows everyone" "down to earth"---yea, all BS. They did have one thing right; Colorado is "full of pretentious eco-hipsters" but Louisville is no exception.

I think there is something else going on here. It is a "group think" of many so-called educated media people, who want to express want they think people, who also group-think, want to hear. People have these delusions and illusions of Colorado, that it some great place to live, the best, "god's country". It is not; there are many other places, that are not as known or even unknown that do not make the list because they are not in the view of the beautiful, self-loved people.

I do admit, I like Loveland. To me it is a better place to live, if you are elderly. You have the amenities of Fort Collins without all the perils of the hormonal college crowd. Part of the issue is that there are not really that many nice little pastoral villages in Colorado, as in other, more established States. They are many hard and tough working towns on the Plains; some really hard crusty places to live in the mountains. And then we have the fake Disney towns of Vail, Beaver Creek etc. There is not that much to choose.

I heard the same hype about California in the 1950s. And it was and is now, far closer to the truth than this nonsense about Colorado being the best. Colorado is nice; it is good place to live but the best, no---just one of the many best places to live; and it depends on what "best" means in your mind.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 07-30-2009 at 05:24 PM..

Old 08-09-2009, 02:23 AM

112 posts, read 196,833 times
Hi.
I am considering a move to Colorado. I thought Colorado Springs seemed like a good idea, but my wife said I probably wouldn't like it because of ultra-conservatives and religious zealots. Yes, I am looking for a relaxed and somewhat liberal-minded area to live in. Nothing too extreme. I'm not totally "granola" either and don't even own a pair of sandals. My wife is a rehab nurse and I have spent many years assisting MR/DD gentlemen in their home environment. I know I can't avoid all of the people I would prefer to have nothing to do with. I just don't want to move into a hotbed of religious fervor.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:59 PM

5,090 posts, read 14,038,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert62 View Post
Hi.
I am considering a move to Colorado. I thought Colorado Springs seemed like a good idea, but my wife said I probably wouldn't like it because of ultra-conservatives and religious zealots. Yes, I am looking for a relaxed and somewhat liberal-minded area to live in. Nothing too extreme. I'm not totally "granola" either and don't even own a pair of sandals. My wife is a rehab nurse and I have spent many years assisting MR/DD gentlemen in their home environment. I know I can't avoid all of the people I would prefer to have nothing to do with. I just don't want to move into a hotbed of religious fervor.
There are more prostitutes and bars in Colorado Springs than preachers and churches. Why???? because it has a very large combat arms military post---Fort Carson. My experience in the army showed me that these people seek more carnal than spiritual pleasures.

Do not be put off by the publicity of these mega churches, christian organization that have moved to the Springs. They are not totally representative of the residents and do not have the impact as the popular press likes to say. The Springs is a big place and has many different people.

You ever wonder why the New York Bible Society moved to the springs. They are into biblical research and interpretations---so the leave New York City area to come to the Springs??? New York is certainly more of a center of jewish and christian theology and has better access to documents???

Why did they move here and change their name to the International Bible Society. Because the people wanted to live in a better climate and a better place than metro New York City. That does not mean there are more christian believers in the springs. It just means that the ones who make the decision wanted more for themselves, regardless of their stated goals. So what; that is fine, and that is the reason for all the other groups that follow one another.

I think the whores, the bartenders, the pawn shop keepers, the drug dealers wake up with more contributions than the churches every Sunday. That is what you need to fear. Not the christians who try to practice some good virtue---I say that as an Atheist.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 08-09-2009 at 07:34 PM..

Old 08-09-2009, 07:22 PM

22,526 posts, read 41,416,978 times
Ditto what LiveContent says about COLO SPGS, where we live. I'd have refuted that silly stereotype myself, but I'm soooooo tired of doing that. The religious folks here mind their own biz, don't mess with you, and are good neighbors.

Religion is alive and well here, as is most everything else. Mr. Dobson's followers are all over the nation, not here. One ironic aspect I like to point out is that the computer lab at the local library, across the street from Dobson's FOTF, has 20-25 PCs for public use, provided by the Gay & Lesbian fund -- who would've thunk it. So, fear not, if this city works for you, it should be on your list of places to consider.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:05 AM

112 posts, read 196,833 times
Default Considering, still

Hi,
thanks for the responses.
It's really hard to know where to go, in Colorado. I have spent eleven dark, miserable years in Northern Indiana. Honestly, I don't think the people here are very bright. I knew that with even greater conviction eleven years ago. We are arty/crafty, musically inclined, bookish and we devour crosswords. I tried to join the library book club here. It was pointless. The woman who runs it hates reading ! She listens to books on tape. I use that scenario as a sort of summing up of what I have to deal with here. And, whether I am wrong or not these simple people are very god-loving and can see no other way. I don't want to infer that all believers are simple, it's just that so many of the simple people are the greatest proponents of religion. I don't want to get into an environment where I feel choked-to-death by antiquated beliefs and the people that espouse them. That's why Colorado Springs' reputation gave me a bit of a concern. Now, I don't happen to feel that prostitution or excessive drinking (and I mean more than 1 or 2 drinks a month - no, I am not Mormon) are good things, either. I always feel sobriety is best. So, I'm kind of a wimpy tea drinker, but everything I wear isn't made out of hemp, either. Well, I'm rambling on - as usual. Let me know more about what you think. Just let me make you aware, we don't have tons of money, so Aspen, Vail, Estes Park, Grand Lake, Winter Park (the list goes on) are out of the question.
Many thanks, Robert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area