Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 11:31 AM

144 posts, read 492,501 times

Advertisements

I am curious how unemployment is effecting the FC/Loveland area. Does it appear there is a significant shadow inventory of housing that may be foreclosed on in the coming year just like everywhere else in the country?
My reason for asking is that I am going to retire from my current job in 3 years and bring my wife and, at the time we move, 8 year old twins to the FC area and seek part time employment as a photovoltaic system designer/installer or residential electrician.
Part time will be the emphasized thing here since my retirement should be in the mid $60k's and with housing costs in the region that should be manageable for a time. Set me straight if I am being delusional, though.
My wife is also a CA certificated spanish teacher with her Masters in Cross-cultural education and she may be interested in teaching on a partial contract. We are currently homeschooling our kids due to the implosion of the CA educational system in our region and really want to raise our kids in a different environment than SoCal.
Plus, my wife has relatives in the area who have migrated away from SoCal and love it and I don't want to spend the rest of my life being a slave to the high cost of living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 03:13 PM

718 posts, read 1,977,193 times
Fort Collins is seeing some foreclosure, but not as much as the rest of the country. There is also some unemployment, but it is not bad. Fort Collins is not known for a great job market, given the abundance of inexpensive university student labor available. If you are coming with a job, that will affect you less.

Given the national attention the area receives, along with the desirability of living here, the demand for housing remians high and the foreclosures that do appear on the market are often snapped up quickly.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Weber View Post
Given the national attention the area receives, along with the desirability of living here, the demand for housing remians high and the foreclosures that do appear on the market are often snapped up quickly.
Maybe the MLS listings I am seeing are not accurate. Snapped up quickly is such a relative term.....
It could be I am used to the radical pace of home sales in my neck of the woods, so to speak, of a few years ago.
Buying isn't a holy grail I need to attain at any point soon. Renting will suffice for a year or two while we get to know the area and it seems there are no shortage of those.
I thought I had read recently that a few high tech employers had left the area.
Thanks for the input.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:52 PM

566 posts, read 1,932,490 times
From what I see there is not a glut of homes on the market here and prices have not crashed. I've seen some foreclosures on the market, but most have been purchased and fixed up. This area never had a big run up in home prices - more like a steady increase. Wouldn't surprise me if the bottom of the market is still increasing.

If you can get used to leaving SD weather behind you'll like it here. We came here to find a good place for our kids to grow up. Will be nice to see another Californian make a smart move.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:14 PM

Well, we will be in the area in January to look around and visit with my wife's relatives.
Another area that interests me is around Salida but I don't think me wifey is the rural kind.....she likes a city close by and, frankly, I like that access, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area