Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 09:20 AM

32 posts, read 120,205 times

Advertisements

Wurzig, I live between Loveland and Ft. Collins. The Chinooks are usually a welcome sight here (they are nicknamed "snoweaters"). We do get high winds on occasion, but not like some places I've been.
We got about 18" of snow last week and this week, it's all gone.
This is a great area to live in, I think you'll like it.
BTW, around here, if you say "the 25", everyone will know you're from California. We just say "I-25".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 12:14 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
I've got to say that to me, wind, is wind is wind. And it's the one thing I absolutely hate about living here. They can sometimes be relentless.

We live on the southwest side of Longmont - can be bad here. But we also have a building we own at I-25 and Hwy 119. I really don't notice a significant difference. In fact, I sometimes feel they are worse out there because there is nothing to break it.

Today is one of the examples of a day in the late fall/winter that the temps are nice and warm, but the wind is so annoying it makes it torture to take a walk with the dog.....

Now we moved to the area over 10 years ago from Texas - so the tornado issue is a non issue for us since we were so used to them there.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:57 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,529,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xordite View Post
Wurzig, I live between Loveland and Ft. Collins. The Chinooks are usually a welcome sight here (they are nicknamed "snoweaters"). We do get high winds on occasion, but not like some places I've been.
We got about 18" of snow last week and this week, it's all gone.
This is a great area to live in, I think you'll like it.
BTW, around here, if you say "the 25", everyone will know you're from California. We just say "I-25".

Thanks for the info and thanks for the heads-up on 'the 25', xordite. So, do you live west of I-25?

Also, did a chinook melt the snow or did the sun? (Is it too early in the season for a chinook? I thought they arrive during the winter months and not the fall)...

Old 11-06-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I've got to say that to me, wind, is wind is wind. And it's the one thing I absolutely hate about living here. They can sometimes be relentless.

We live on the southwest side of Longmont - can be bad here. But we also have a building we own at I-25 and Hwy 119. I really don't notice a significant difference. In fact, I sometimes feel they are worse out there because there is nothing to break it.

Today is one of the examples of a day in the late fall/winter that the temps are nice and warm, but the wind is so annoying it makes it torture to take a walk with the dog.....

Now we moved to the area over 10 years ago from Texas - so the tornado issue is a non issue for us since we were so used to them there.
Thanks for responding, jkcoop.

When I look at mapquest, even though it is closer to mountainous Boulder, it seems that Longmont is a 'tiny bit' farther away from the hills than Loveland due to the curve of the range. Just how far south do the chinooks go?

Old 11-06-2009, 05:48 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,236,621 times
The wind is one of the few things I miss about Colorado, I hate it to this day.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:48 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Thanks for responding, jkcoop.

When I look at mapquest, even though it is closer to mountainous Boulder, it seems that Longmont is a 'tiny bit' farther away from the hills than Loveland due to the curve of the range. Just how far south do the chinooks go?
I suppose it depends on what part of Longmont. We always joke that we are in a doughnut hole here because it seems parts of Longmont are just far enough away from the foothills to miss some of the snow other places get.

The reality of it is, in my opinion, you can't escape the wind here. This time of year, if it's warm, then it's windy. Just the way it is. You just deal with it and grumble along the way!

I did wait until later this evening to run/walk my dog and, while still a little breezy, it was a nice evening. All the annoyances aside regarding the wind, and it is incredibly annoying and wears you down, there are so many wonderful things about living here that they far out weight the wind in the long run.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:30 PM

566 posts, read 1,939,790 times
Check the statistics. The Front Range is one of the windiest places in the country. More wind than Chicago. Some times of the year we have high wind for days.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:29 PM

360 posts, read 1,126,680 times
The windiest place must be without a doubt Wyoming. I drove through there with 60 mph winds!

Old 11-08-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
Check the statistics. The Front Range is one of the windiest places in the country. More wind than Chicago. Some times of the year we have high wind for days.
cobmw, are those the stats on the city data pages? If not, please tell me where to look.....thanks.

When I compare the city data pages, Ft. Collins vs. Loveland, Longmont, Windsor, etc., they pretty much look the same to me...

Old 11-08-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280milehiguy View Post
The windiest place must be without a doubt Wyoming. I drove through there with 60 mph winds!
Yeow, 5280! Ft. Collins is not that far......

I guess if we move there, I'll throw away my comb for several months a year and invest in more lotion..... I can only imagine what the winds do to the level of humidity.

We saw pay per view last night, 'The Proposal', and my husband told me to check out Sitka, Alaska....very pretty area with crummy cell phone reception and puters are on dial up. After the ice thaws, probably no wind, just huge mosquitos, eagles and bears to carry me away instead of winds.....

Kidding aside, I thank each and every one of you for your educational input. It is only on here that I have learned that some chinooks don't have fins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area