Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 01:59 PM

50 posts, read 149,995 times

Advertisements

Hi All! I have been scouting the Wyoming threads for awhile, and decided that maybe I should post a couple of questions on the Fort Collins forum. Next August or September, my boyfriend and I will be moving out west from Upstate NY. He will be attending Wyotech in Laramie, WY in the fall. I will be graduating from law school in May. I know finding a job is going to be extremely difficult, as I am an out-of-towner and entry-level. I am trying to look outside of the box in terms of jobs (you can be other things than a lawyer with a J.D.- I keep telling myself ) and the location of the job- if I have to suck it up for a year with commuting, I am totally fine with doing that. SO- that leads me to my questions....

1. What are the actual driving times between fort collins and laramie? cheyenne? Google and Mapquest have quite the disparity when it comes to this, and I figure that one or the other does not take into account the speed limits out west....

2. How are rentals in the towns between fort collins and laramie/cheyenne (like livermore and wellington)? Are there usually places available for rent?

3. Is there a "rush hour" in the area? For example, here my 25/30 minute commute is usually 1-1.5 hrs during rush hour.

Thanks so much- I really appreciate any answers/advice. I am trying to be open with where I will work and live, because, as we all know, the economy has not quite bounced-back yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 05:32 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,985 times
The driving times will vary depending upon from which part of Fort Collins you start. From my house, on the west side of FC, I am just about an hour to Laramie, and the same to Cheyenne. When I lived on the east side of Fort Collins, Cheyenne was 40 to 45 minutes and Laramie was pushing an hour and twenty or an hour and thirty minutes. These times are considering good, dry roads.

You will likely have better luck finding rentals in Wellington than in Livermore. Wellington is a town, where Livermore is a community center where folks from numerous outlying mountain areas come to get mail and attend school.

The drive between Laramie and FC, or Cheyenne and FC, or Laramie and Cheyenne will be affected more by weather than any sort of rush hour. The 1-1.5 hour drive from Fort Collins and the 45 min - 1 hour drive from Fort Collins to Cheyenne could easily double with bad conditions, if the road is open at all. Driving across Fort Collins takes a bit longer during rush hour, maybe making a 20 minute drive take 30 minutes.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:45 PM

5 posts, read 8,208 times
I actually live in Fort Collins and drive to school in Cheyenne on a weekly basis. I find the drive is affected my the weather and what part of FOCO you live at. It takes me about 10 minutes to get to I25 which makes my whole commute about 45-50 mins. On days when the roads are not dry, my commute turns into an hour in a half, given I'm a pretty fast driver. There is no rush hour going north towards wyoming. The drive is slightly boring and gets really windy, but other than that you will get used to the drive fairly quickly.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:05 AM

bebe528- thanks so much- I am glad to hear that someone actually makes these drives and that it is manageable. I live at the foothills of the Adirondacks here in NY, and I am no stranger to the weather effecting my drive (about a month ago my 30 min commute turned into 3.5 hours because of the snow, and they still didn't cancel the test I had that day!).

Mike Weber- Thank you, also! Wellington sounds like maybe a good midpoint for my boyfriend and I, and looking at craigslist a little, there seem to be a few houses for rent- which is great because he needs a garage for his tools/toys.

If anyone has any other comments/suggestions, I greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:39 AM

One more Q- I see a lot of reservoirs/lakes by Wellington. Are people allowed to boat (specifically kayak) these lakes?

Old 01-05-2010, 11:03 AM

718 posts, read 1,985,985 times
Most of the lakes in that area are private, so you may have to try to find the owner, and befriend him / her. You can, however, paddle on Horsetooth Reservoir, on the west side of Fort Collins. It is reasonably close to Wellington. You will be required to purchase a parks pass.
http://www.co.larimer.co.us/PARKS/horsetooth.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area