U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 05:29 PM

74 posts, read 384,590 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am contemplating accepting a job with the City of Loveland and would be leaving a really secure job to do this (Federal Government). Most cities are having financial difficulties and many are cutting services and workers. Would Loveland be counted in those troubled cities? I had the misfortune of getting laid off from a city job in Florida but that was driven by mismanagement and the real estate market bust and I do not want to do that again. I really want to move to and settle down in Colorado and this may be my one good opportunity to do that. Also, what areas of Loveland and Longmont would be good to move to? I would be renting for a while. Most of the apartments listed seem to be east toward I-25 but I would prefer something west to be closer to the open space/mountains/trails, etc. Would like to know what areas NOT to live in too.....

Any comments would be most appreciated!

Tired of NY dreariness....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 08:34 PM

3,553 posts, read 7,193,828 times
JSgoofn;

I got you PM and will work on that. I think the city is in pretty good shape, I have a friend that's pretty high up in city gov't and I'll ask when I see her next.

I know that there have been some slight state/county/city financial difficulties due to the recession, but I don't think it's too bad. After all our umemployment rate is in the 7 to 7 1/2 % range. Having CSU and UNC so close heps our area I'm sure.

I tend not to look too closely at apartment but I'll be out and about tomorrow and I'll pay particular attention.

BTW, we had snow the other day but it's in the 60-70 degree range the last two days and looking the same for the weekend.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:18 PM

GolfGod - thanks for the info and I really appreciate you checking out the gov't health for me. As far as a living area, I am just looking for decent areas to focus my search in. We too had some recent strange weather - it was 82 the past two days and today is was 50 with a forecast of some snow flurries overnight and lots of wind! Take care!

Old 04-11-2010, 06:51 AM

56 posts, read 253,034 times
Jsgoofn: The Buttes Apartments are in the foothills of Loveland (west side of town). Nice quality apartments professionally managed. Devil's backbone open area is about 5 miles west on Hwy 34. Lots of open areas, walking/biking paths, can't beat the scenery and views of the Rockies.

I just moved to Loveland 10 months ago and have to say it was a good decision. It's been a struggle to find a good job, but that is an issue in most parts of the US. Loveland is a nice small town, friendly people, good medical care, decent shopping for a town this size, great library. And if you need a bigger city feel - Fort Collins is right up the road.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,880 posts, read 44,943,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSGOOFN View Post
Hello everyone! I am contemplating accepting a job with the City of Loveland and would be leaving a really secure job to do this (Federal Government).
While I don't think a job with the city would be a bad choice (I have friends who have been employed with city for over 30 yrs, during several tough times)
I would first look to some federal employment options nearby (especially if you can retain your retirement package, if you have one). There should be several choices of federal employment nearby. Bureau of Reclamation, ? I had several friends working at Rocky Flats and National Bureau of Stds. Working for National Park Service or Federal Highways would do. It seems a position I applied for at CSU (Ft Collins) was federal. It was with one of the 'in-house' testing labs (Energy / atmospheric). USDA Rural Development seems to be rolling in the green at the moment.

BTW, You are gonna really like it in NoCo. Escape to WY when possible, it is even nicer, and VERY close (tho They won't appreciate your 'greenie' License Plates from CO.)
snowy range scenic byway - Google Search

Take a trip through Encampment enroute (nice museum / village)

Old 04-12-2010, 10:24 PM

AZ Heat - thanks for the suggestions! The Buttes sounds like a good location since you mention it is close to Devi's Backbone area - I know that if I get this job, I will not regret the move due to the fact that I have been wanting to move to Colorado for many moons! This may be the perfect opportunity indeed. Thanks!!

Old 04-12-2010, 10:29 PM

Stealth Rabbit (great name....) - I appreciate the suggestion for the Federal employment scene but I have applied and been referred for quite a few jobs out there but with the economy being as it is with lots of qualified local people, it is tough to break through. I know that if I were a hiring manager with the Feds, I would most likely go with the local person first. If I had the luxury of hanging out there, I could most likely land a job with the Feds but, alas, I do not. But I do know that I will get out there and settle down - it is just a matter of time (or winning the lottery!!).... Thanks for the suggestions too!!! Take care...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area