Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 11:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,643 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Raleigh, NC; we have chosen and decided to move to CO. He'll keep his current job - this requires high-speed internet at home, and access to DIA. We're trying to keep the drive time to DIA at less than 1.5 hours.

I've got a seasonal job lined up for 2010 in Estes Park (we're actually camped out here right now, what with the snow and all!); I'll use my time here to job hunt (service industry) for a more long-term job. We may be moving out here as soon as 10/10. (And likely getting an apartment while we househunt or build)

We're trying to figure out which locality (ies) to focus on; the problem is that we like so much!

We want to live somewhere more rural, as opposed to within city limits; suburbia is definitely not our cup of tea (nor are HOAs/covenants). Simply based on real estate prices that we've seen in estes park and other mountain towns, we're going to need to live on the plains; I saw something about the USDA's rural development program in some other posts, and am looking into it.

We're not social people - rather, while I'm a talker and love people, we do not require a "nightlife" or entertainment amenities. Homebodies. As of right now, schools are not too big of a concern, as children are a few years away from conception. That, and we are fully aware of, and embrace, the importance of parents in a child's education.

Things that matter greatly to us, in terms of location:
- in view of the mountains
- high speed internet available
- at least an acre or two (I garden; I want a goat or two, and we just really like having space)
- on water of some kind: a reservoir, large stream/small river (preferably navigable in a canoe or kayak)
- a well permit that allows for small-scale agricultural use (according to the research I've done, this is necessary for me to be allowed to collect roof runoff for gardening)
- preferably within 1hr of DIA (2hrs is the hard limit) (base consideration - we recognize the impacts of weather and such on drive times)
- availability of state, county, and municipal parks are a consideration

This past week, we've driven through and around a multitude of towns, and liked much of what we've seen (Loveland was the exception. It is completely out of consideration). We have yet to make it to Ft Collins. Boulder is far too expensive for my taste. Living in a tiny (<3K?) town won't be problematic at all if we're near, say, I-25 or US-85; IOW, easy enough to get to other things.

Being inexperienced in these matters, neither of us know how much a realtor could help. What we really need is a buyer's agent who is willing to take a weighted list of criteria, and a price range, and give us a list of properties to evaluate. Is this an unreasonable expectation? (I truly don't know.) The list I've posted above pertains only to the location/land itself; we do have a wishlist for the house itself, but that's another bridge to cross.

What have I forgotten to consider/look at/research? Beyond that, does anyone have any good starting points for finding a realtor, or references?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 08:44 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
A Buyer's Broker / Buyer's Agent is probably best for you. A good explanation is found at posting #5 in this thread.

I'm sure you'll find a great place here in COLO. Today's snow is great looking stuff, we've 4+ inches here in COLO SPGS, but it will be gone in a day or so.

NOTE to all readers: Realtor referrals may only be sent by Direct Message (DM) to the requestor, not posted in these public forums.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:20 AM

718 posts, read 1,985,985 times
Welcome to our area!

Recently I read that the funds for the USDA rural development loans may be nearing depletion in the coming weeks and may not be available by the time you are ready for your purchase. If I can find the article again, I'll post a link.

Your requests of a buyer's agent are not unreasonable at all, and should be expected from a good buyer's agent.

What did you not like about Loveland?

Old 04-23-2010, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,643 times
Thanks, yall.

Quote:
A Buyer's Broker / Buyer's Agent is probably best for you. A good explanation is found at posting #5 in this thread.
I might be only 25 and have never bought a house, but oh man, I know what a buyer's agent is: my husband (brand new boyfriend at the time) gave his apartment complex 30 days notice, with nothing lined up. He was going to find and buy his first house on his own, in <30 days. I was telling him to get one, and he resisted. It wasn't til he was looking at a disaster of a foreclosure and allowing himself to be jerked around by the listing realtor ("No, I don't know where the leach field is; no, I can't find that out; no, there's no way to find the exact property lines" Please.) that he took me seriously...

I just wish she were available to help us out here; alas, that's what happens when you move!

That was an EXCELLENT post, though. Thank you!

Mweber, if you do find your source for that info, I'd greatly appreciate it. I did some googling, but the USDA's page for the program sucks to start with. (seriously, IE and netscape are their recommended browsers? If not for it being a gov't page, I'd have had to doubt the veracity and credibility right there)

Regarding Loveland...there's a suburb near us that we abhor because of their micomanagement (down to national chains not being allowed to open locations unless they change their signage to match the color scheme of the shopping center, as well the city's signage limitations), inappropriate interference with residents' lives (e.g., you can't have a clothesline on your property), and an inflated sense of importance and value (I'm talking about the municipal level - not the residents; like anywhere, there are always good apples with the bad and vice versa). Driving into and through Loveland was just like going to this town back home. Do. Not. Want. The town is Cary, NC, if you'd like to google it.

So beyond any particular referrals (and not just 'here's a link', but 'here's why we like them'), anything else we should be aware of/take under consideration? In addition to the things I've already mentioned (e.g., boulder = more expensive than we're willing to tolerate - things in that vein), things like unexpected legislation (e.g., clotheslines in cary; rainwater collection restrictions), and such.

Neither of us has a clue about relocating and its considerations, beyond 'have job; get house'. Thanks!

Old 04-23-2010, 03:47 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
One thing we almost always recommend to newbies coming here is rent for a year. There is SO MUCH to choose from and see that it takes a while, so consider finding the nicest place you can for a rental then come on out and explore. Most rents are very reasonable now.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:20 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,985 times
Here is the link to that story about the USDA loans:
The Associated Press: Program to help rural home buyers is nearly broke

Rainwater collection has long been illegal in this area, as water and water laws are taken very seriously. There have been some recent changes, however, as outlined in this article, but there are still stringent restrictions.

In Fort Collins, in an effort to become more green and sustainable, the city has adopted laws that override Home Owner Association restrictions on clotheslines and solar panels, among other things.
Sustainability program: City of Fort Collins

Old 05-25-2010, 07:14 PM

423 posts, read 1,959,570 times
Just FYI USDA loans are no longer available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area