Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 01:14 PM

788 posts, read 1,740,442 times

Advertisements

It seems there was a thread r/t this topic yesterday, it must have been removed but when I lived in FC there did seem to be alot of social assistance programs and alot of families using them. Not that I am totally against people getting help when they need it but what I saw was it seemed the 'norm' and was somewhat of a slap across the face to those trying to get by w/o gov't help.

For example, the county daycare voucher program. If you were 'low income' you get your daycare paid for by the county but if you are middle class (not qualifying for the voucher program) and try to enroll your child in a daycare center, it is close to cost prohibitive.

When I left 1.5 yrs ago CSU was doing a big research study for the city/county on why there had been such a large increase in children living at or near the poverty level in recent years - would be interesting to know what the findings were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 09:30 PM

94 posts, read 491,890 times
I posted yesterday that I had found out that in Co, people could stay on welfare for as long as their children had not turned 18. A friend at the local welfare office confirmed it. She said that there are restrictions, but these restrictions are rarely enforced. I find that to be sad....b/c to the best of my knowlege, welfare recepients really don't receive THAT MUCH MONEY. It's sad that children whose parents choose not to work, but instead CHOOSE to receive welfare, are only hurting thier children on the long run.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:47 PM

144 posts, read 494,016 times
I would be curious to know how many of the people on assistance choose not to work.
It is a pretty rough world out there employment-wise.
There are abusers of every system, undoubtedly, but I am wondering what the proportions are that your friend employed by that same system could verify.
The bigger problem is that if we don't help those kids what happens.
There are no easy answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada1427 View Post
I posted yesterday that I had found out that in Co, people could stay on welfare for as long as their children had not turned 18. A friend at the local welfare office confirmed it. She said that there are restrictions, but these restrictions are rarely enforced. I find that to be sad....b/c to the best of my knowlege, welfare recepients really don't receive THAT MUCH MONEY. It's sad that children whose parents choose not to work, but instead CHOOSE to receive welfare, are only hurting thier children on the long run.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
I would be curious to know how many of the people on assistance choose not to work.
There are abusers of every system, undoubtedly, but I am wondering what the proportions are that your friend employed by that same system could verify.
I agree that there are no easy answers. Although I did have a neighbor in FC who did 'choose not to work' and her husband, who worked for a small business, intentionally kept their income low enough to so the kids could qualify for medicaid, and so they could collect the EIC at tax time.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post

I agree, it would be interesting to know the ratio. From what my friend had said, it appears that there has def been an increase in those who receive benifits due to A) the recent downturn of the economy and B) the fact that in this area there are few jobs that pay above $10 an hr.

It really is unfortunate. I know for a fact that many people in this area have to work TWO jobs in order to pay all of their bills due to the above factors. I myself work two jobs....but am fortunate b/c I do it only for having extra savings.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:42 PM

10 posts, read 33,819 times
Federal law determines someone cannot be on welfare (now called ) TANF for more than 5 years. During the 5 years someone is getting assistance they need to be working with a job counselor and doing work related activity like going to school, job, internship.

I think unemployment rate currently in Colorado is around 7.5%, so those unemployed are not eligible for extension of benefits like in states with higher unemployment rates.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooteal View Post
Federal law determines someone cannot be on welfare (now called ) TANF for more than 5 years. During the 5 years someone is getting assistance they need to be working with a job counselor and doing work related activity like going to school, job, internship.

I think unemployment rate currently in Colorado is around 7.5%, so those unemployed are not eligible for extension of benefits like in states with higher unemployment rates.
Hmmm, that's interesting. I wonder how some people are able to extend that then? I know a single mom who has been receiving benifits for 7 yrs now. Thanks for the post.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:19 AM

144 posts, read 494,016 times
Default That is interesting

Quote:
Hmmm, that's interesting. I wonder how some people are able to extend that then? I know a single mom who has been receiving benifits for 7 yrs now. Thanks for the post.
I wonder if that might have something to do with the number and age of children.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
It also depends on what kind of 'benefits.' Like the pp post said, TANF is only valid for 5 yrs but she probably could still get subsidized housing, medicaid, help w/childcare, ect.

Or, she may be able to extend d/t a disability (of herself or child) and like your friend pointed out, the time limits may not be very well enforced.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:42 PM

296 posts, read 802,710 times
"I did have a neighbor in FC who did 'choose not to work' and her husband, who worked for a small business, intentionally kept their income low enough to so the kids could qualify for medicaid"

Who on earth could blame them for god's sake? Perhaps they had a sick child, even if they didn't at least they were considering the health care of their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area