Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:53 AM

159 posts, read 558,856 times

Advertisements

What does this have to do with being white? I've known people of other races that have issues with this also?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:51 AM

615 posts, read 1,676,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoGirl View Post
I don't understand how people can get so uptight about people speaking in another language other than english amongst each other around them, especially spanish. I don't give a damn, because they are not speaking to me. Mostly I hear white people making these complaints. Do you have to control everything about everybody? Everything is not about you! THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU, EVEN THOUGH YOU THINK IT DOES!!!

Moderator cut: please report posts you find racist

So, why do you have a problem with people near you speaking another language other english, when they are not even speaking to you? Are you that nosey as have to know what everyone is saying?

And I don't care if anyone thinks this thread is racist, because there are plenty of threads and comments on here that are racist against minorities.
Maybe just ignorance? I live in a very diverse city, and I hear people speaking many different languages. It is not something that I feel insulted or threatened by. Unless they are speaking about you..lol..it shouldn't be something to get one's undies in a twist...........

Old 07-22-2010, 05:48 PM

why do people get so uptight about someone getting uptight about someone speaking another language?

Old 07-22-2010, 06:21 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
As a white guy, I will admit that many white people, particularly middle-aged and older, are downright afraid of Spanish people, blacks, and other races/cultures taking over. It has always been that way for thousands of years. When whites first invaded and took over America, they drove out, murdered, raped, and pillaged the Indians to subdue them. Rather than try to get along, they exterminated them. Then they brought millions of black slaves over here. Once slavery was abolished, whites distanced themselves from blacks. They didn't want blacks around, forced them out of the community, and set boundaries. During industrialization, blacks flocked to large northeastern cities and whites moved to nicer segregated neighborhoods. Post WW2, whites moved out to the suburbs to get away from the blacks in the cities. More recently, whites fled Miami to get away from the large influx of Hispanics. You see today a popular sentiment amongst older whites who used to live in Florida is to "get out of Florida" and to move to the mountains of NC or Tennessee. Whites only want to be around other whites. Its as simple as that. It is an anti-social, irrational instinct, but it is one that many whites possess. They cannot be the minority.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:37 PM

South florida is my home. No matter if white becomes the minority or not. I am not wealthy and thus in the neighborhood I live in/ have lived in I am a minority and hispanics are the majority. I have hatians on either side of me, and mostly people of various hispanic descent around my neighborhood. AND IM NOT COMPLAINING. I Like where I live.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:37 PM

59 posts, read 160,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
As a white guy, I will admit that many white people, particularly middle-aged and older, are downright afraid of Spanish people, blacks, and other races/cultures taking over. It has always been that way for thousands of years. When whites first invaded and took over America, they drove out, murdered, raped, and pillaged the Indians to subdue them. Rather than try to get along, they exterminated them. Then they brought millions of black slaves over here. Once slavery was abolished, whites distanced themselves from blacks. They didn't want blacks around, forced them out of the community, and set boundaries. During industrialization, blacks flocked to large northeastern cities and whites moved to nicer segregated neighborhoods. Post WW2, whites moved out to the suburbs to get away from the blacks in the cities. More recently, whites fled Miami to get away from the large influx of Hispanics. You see today a popular sentiment amongst older whites who used to live in Florida is to "get out of Florida" and to move to the mountains of NC or Tennessee. Whites only want to be around other whites. Its as simple as that. It is an anti-social, irrational instinct, but it is one that many whites possess. They cannot be the minority.
Simple as that huh? I love that part. It's not that simple.

I really didn't want to respond to this thread because its obvious you all are being trolled but anyhow...you will find affluent/well off people have no problem living with all races of similar means. This is much the case in places like Weston.

People move to get away from crime not skin color.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:02 PM

58 posts, read 117,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoGirl View Post
I don't understand how people can get so uptight about people speaking in another language other than english amongst each other around them, especially spanish. I don't give a damn, because they are not speaking to me. Mostly I hear white people making these complaints. Do you have to control everything about everybody? Everything is not about you! THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU, EVEN THOUGH YOU THINK IT DOES!!!

Moderator cut: please report posts you find racist

So, why do you have a problem with people near you speaking another language other english, when they are not even speaking to you? Are you that nosey as have to know what everyone is saying?

And I don't care if anyone thinks this thread is racist, because there are plenty of threads and comments on here that are racist against minorities.
Very true CocoGirl......

Old 07-23-2010, 05:21 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
Boats>

So there is no crime in Charlotte, NC, Atlanta, GA, Dallas, TX, 3 cities that are predominantly white?

Sorry, but that does not explain why white people moved out of FL. As I said, white people are scared to death of anything different than traditional white/American culture and they do not want to become a minority. They are not comfortable around other races or cultures, so they moved to NC/TN where they are around other people like them.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:29 PM

59 posts, read 160,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Boats>

So there is no crime in Charlotte, NC, Atlanta, GA, Dallas, TX, 3 cities that are predominantly white?

Sorry, but that does not explain why white people moved out of FL. As I said, white people are scared to death of anything different than traditional white/American culture and they do not want to become a minority. They are not comfortable around other races or cultures, so they moved to NC/TN where they are around other people like them.
Yes there is no crime there, just like all the white people moved out of FL like you say. Your argument is just far too black and white..if I'm allowed to say that here. Do you realize how ridiculous it is to say the entire race is "not comfortable around other races or cultures"? lol

Anyhow, back to the discussion of the uptightness of spanish speaking here in South FL. Make another thread for how bad white people are.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:20 AM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,537 times
Nolefan,

All races of people are generally more comfortable around people like themselves, this is not something that you can attribute to a specific race. Moderator cut: Racist comments

Last edited by fauve; 07-24-2010 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: Racist comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area