Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 11:18 PM

2 posts, read 6,652 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting Ft. Lauderdale in the next week and while on vacation will be looking for the safe areas close to the Plantation, FL area where my potential job will be located. Our concerns are safety, price, & commuting distance from 20-30 min from job. Also, we are renting in Atl. and are looking for an apt. ranging around $750-$850 preferably in a nice community area. What would be some of the areas to avoid and areas to look into while we're visiting? We also have a miniature schnauzer, so a pet-friendly apt. is a must. Any insight into the above would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 06:58 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbrister View Post
We will be visiting Ft. Lauderdale in the next week and while on vacation will be looking for the safe areas close to the Plantation, FL area where my potential job will be located. Our concerns are safety, price, & commuting distance from 20-30 min from job. Also, we are renting in Atl. and are looking for an apt. ranging around $750-$850 preferably in a nice community area. What would be some of the areas to avoid and areas to look into while we're visiting? We also have a miniature schnauzer, so a pet-friendly apt. is a must. Any insight into the above would be greatly appreciated.
Wilton Manors would for sure be a place you would feel at home. It almost completely gay.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:20 AM

640 posts, read 1,294,898 times
I lived in Coral Springs really nice coconut creek is nice too

but it isnt Atlanta!! for a black gay couple atlanta is probably the best place in the country!!

Old 07-22-2010, 03:07 PM

18 posts, read 62,171 times
Wilton Manners is a large, gay community in Fort Lauderdale near the downtown area. I don't think the commute to Plant would be too bad. However, there are a lot of other nice communities in the area that you should feel safe in. I would try to stay east of the Turnpike...out west is "the burbs".

Old 07-22-2010, 05:30 PM

159 posts, read 558,742 times
There are gay people all over so fla. Im pretty sure most people who live here accept that. I think gay people are generally welcome. Choose whatever neighborhood you want.

I have known a lot of REALLY nice gay people. In general they take care of their properties and usually whenn gay people start to come into an area the area changes for the better.

I saw this happen in ft. Lauderdale. When I grew up there in late 80's early 90's durring the crack haydays it was messed up. I wen't up to NY for 6 years and when I came back in2004 some of the crappy areas had been really fixed up largely do to gay people in my opinion.

East ft lauderdale, victoria park and wilton manners all have a lot of gay people Anyways good luck.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:58 AM

43 posts, read 113,103 times
My Partner and I moved here almost a year ago from Atlanta.
We settled in Hollywood, near the intercoastal and really love it here. We found Hollywood very accepting and safe.

As far as apartments go. It is hard to find a place to rent here in a good neighborhood that is under $1000/month. Rents are alot higher here than in Atlanta.

Wish you the best of luck. I think you will really enjoy living here.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:30 AM

6 posts, read 16,661 times
Wilton Manors, Oakland park and cheap affordable and nice housing in Old Pompano. thats only 10mins drive and half the price to live. We bought our house there and its great value for money. As a gay couple I would do the same, its close to the gay area but cheaper to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area