Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 06:29 PM

30 posts, read 95,499 times

Advertisements

We are planning to relocate from NJ to Parkland in June. We looked at communities in Weston, Boca, Delray and Parkland. Heron Bay is a possible community for us, as is Parkland Golf, but we think we'd like to rent in Cypress Head and see if that is more suitable.

We also have a son 3 and one on the way. Heron Bay has 2,000 homes with another 1,000 to be built. There are two sections that have lots of Chinese Drywall homes and those have lots of foreclosures. Not sure what this really means for the development, which is why we'd rent in Cypress Head and see what shakes out over the next two years.

Good luck with your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 09:45 PM

115 posts, read 336,119 times
Wow, 3000 homes sounds like a lot. I wonder if it will seem too crowded and lose the small neighborhood feel. I knew about the chinese drywall, you're right, it might affect the future of the community, that's why we'd rent there first.
Why did you decide Cypress Head? From what I see online, the lots are much bigger, looks like really nice estates, but a rental there is about $4000 (the cheapest one), we're looking at $3000. There are two foreclosures in Cypress Head right now too, at $499k and $549k, if I pay $4000 a month, I can actually buy one.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:03 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,786,946 times
What's wrong with Pinecrest or Coral Gables for raising kids? It's a bit more expensive when compared to these other areas, but it seems like a more culturally rich environment to raise children in, with more history, more parks/green spaces, decent public schools (in Pinecrest, Gables is hit and miss), and a community feel that you won't find ANYWHERE in Broward County, not even the east side. Pinecrest and Coral Gables are both probably the most aesthetically pleasing cities in South Florida. Granted, Parkland is great in it's own right but it's an entirely different lifestyle, with a newer, more spacious feel and less traffic congestion, but be careful with Chinese drywall in Heron Bay. I personally prefer the areas in Parkland that are east of University Dr, as they are significantly "greener" and less cookie cutter, and actually can have a little resemblance to the Pinecrest (definitely not Gables) area. The newer parts of Parkland (like Heron Bay) are very nice, but to me just resemble Weston but without as central of a location or the same cohesive codes that Weston was built around. I would actually compare Heron Bay more to newer developments that you might see in FAR west Pembroke Pines/Miramar (Chapel Trail, Sunset Lakes, etc), but Parkland is a more desirable address and the whole city is likely to stay that way for a very long time, so I say you can't really go wrong as long as you can dodge the Chinese drywall issue and don't mind suburban life.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 08-04-2010 at 01:35 AM..

Old 08-04-2010, 06:55 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,055,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Ditto - to more to do in Weston - but I think Pinecrest and Coral Gables are beautiful too. Only thing is I wouldn't want to live in Pinecrest and work in Miami - I don't feel like you are escaping the fast paced life, if you know what I mean - If you work in a place like Miami, I would want my home to be peaceful and tranquil not crazy - not that pinecrest or Coral is crazy but, they are close enough to crazy that you may not be happy - if an hour commute is no worry to you then Weston would be my top choice. There are really beautiful homes in Cooper City too - schools are really good here as well.
If I had to live in Miami -Dade .... Coral Gables , Pinecrest and maybe Palmetto Bay would be my choices .... these are expensive areas though

Old 08-04-2010, 08:44 AM

Palmetto Bay is hit and miss. One street is lovely, the next block is a dump. Pinecrest is better, but still too many contrasts. You drive around, there's a $3M mansion, next to it a jungle-like lot most likely with a for sale sign, totally unkempt, or some old shack from the '50s that screams tear me down. Oh, and no sidewalks, except for the main roads.
Yes, Coral Gables is a different story. Probably much stricter city codes. You cannot leave a pile of yard trash in front of the house for an hour, you'll get a fine.

That's why I like places like Parkland/Weston more. Seem more put together. But some people may prefer the nonhomogeneity of contrasts, a less boring picture. Of course, there's way more stuff to do in Coral Gables, but it comes with the price tag!

Old 08-04-2010, 08:18 PM

30 posts, read 95,499 times
Cypress Head is appealing because of larger lots, under 500 homes, and built around a 2 mile circle, which seems like an easy walk/bike to any neighbor

Old 08-06-2010, 09:37 AM

3 posts, read 14,355 times
Heron Bay and Parkland is a very nice area. Clean and safe with great schools. The homes in heron bay have an interesting look as well. Although Parkland and Heron Bay(fyi watch out for chinese drywall in this neigborhood) are good, i would go for Weston instead. Westons schools are great, the roads are layed out a little better, and its more centraly located in Broward county. There is also more to do without leaving the immediate area. You will get the same amount house rental wise. In Parkland you have your basic restaurants, supermarket and a superwalmart.There is also a small "town center". There is one highway around,Sawgrass Expressway, which is a toll road. For a mall 10to20min away, there is boca town center(nordstrom saks neiman macys bloomingdales) and coral square(macys sears jcp dillards).In Weston you have multiple supermarkets and more resteraunts. There are 2 main centers for shopping in Weston. Weston Town Center, which has a publix and lots of eateries, along with a few cute mom and pop owned boutiques. The other main center is Weston Commons which has publix pet supermarket gamestop radio shack payless chilis pei wei bonefish grill chipotle coldstones starbucks and banks. Across the street is home depot office depot and a.c.moore(craft store).Mall wise,10to20min gets you to pembroke lakes(macy's sears jcp dillards) pembroke gardens(loehmanns dsw old navy) sawgrass mils( supertarget and over 350 stores alot of brand name outlets) and broward(same 4 as pembroke lakes) along with all the strip centers around them. Highway wise weston is bordered by i 75 and is a exit away from i595. Both have great parks and also have ymcas. Almost every road in Weston has bike lanes and wide sidewalks where as in Parkland,some have this feature.The beaches for both are about 30 to 40min away depending on traffic. Weston has a hospital, while parkland does not. Make sure to visit both, althought most communities are gated, but you can still get a feel for the area. Good luck!

Old 09-26-2010, 08:19 AM

Which public schools would you consider better, Weston or Parkland? And does anyone know anything about Parkland Golf and Country Club? We visited the community not long ago, and there are some great prices in there for homes (the fees are pretty high I know), and some homes have the chinese drywall problem, but the place looks gorgeous. What do you think its fate will be?
I am still torn between Parkland and Weston. Weston has a nice Town Center, but the communities don't seem to have the nice type of clubhouse that I saw in Parkland G&CC or even Heron Bay. I would love a house on a big lot in Cypress Head, but they seem expensive.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:02 AM

143 posts, read 414,044 times
Hi
I am new to so Florida & am renting in heron bay, for 5 weeks now. Although it has 1000+ homes, it does not feel that way because there are so many different sections and there is a lot of common space. Personally, I like the out of the way feel of Parkland. I am not a "shopper" type (maybe if I had the $$ LOL) so I do not mind being a little farther from the malls. Between Boca & Coral Springs there are all the stores around no more than a 10/15 min ride.
To answer a few of your questions, the north clubhouse pool we go to at least 3 X a week and it has never been crowded. The whole development does go to Heron Heights Elementary (even the Coral Springs part). This is only it's second year. My 3 kids are all attending this year & I am happy with their teachers. All the schools are considered good.
The chinese drywall problem is something to check as you look at rentals, but only affects homes built in a certain period. Parkland Golf & Country Club was hit hard by that and there are some empty blocks, it is beautiful to look at but pricey- I think the HOA is now $600/month. Cypress Head & those along Holmberg are beautiful developments, a bit older with bigger lots and more mature landscaping (we looked at one from early 90s) and closer to 441, which is convenient to Boca for shopping. I think most are zoned for Riverglades Elementary. Meadow Run/Fox Trail and those along Trails End go to Park Trails.
A quick look on zillow will show you that there are lots of foreclosures in Parkland as a whole which certainly is not good. In Heron Bay I do not see any unkempt areas- only some areas where construction started & did not finish, & now it seems to be picking up again. You can find a good house at more reasonable prices now for sure, but HOA fees are higher in some of the developments.
Good luck with your choice.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:45 AM

Thanks.
We visited Heron Bay with a realtor once, and the north clubhouse was beautiful. Good to know it doesn't get crowded. Probably since there are two pools. We love taking the kiddies to the pool too, that's why great amenities are important to us.
The Parkland G& CC hoa fee is indeed high, it's $690 now. And golf is not included!! Sowe may decide to look in Heron Bay instead,possibly rent first too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area