Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 01:48 PM

119 posts, read 315,306 times

Advertisements

I am having the hardest time trying to figure out how to get my Florida license plates. Where I'm from there is one ginormis building where you get your license, pay tickets, get and renew license plates, get a new ssn card - here it is VERY different. I went to the DMV to try to get my license plates - and they laughed at me and said I need to go to a tax collector.

hmmmm so I found some tax collectors, but how much do I pay and do they have plates they can give me right then? This is quite different from where I am from. I read somewhere that there needs to be some kind of inspection of my car, is this really true? I would really love some advice from anyone who moved to Florida. I know once I do this all once, I can renew most stuff online.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 6,627 times
Try calling any of the tag offices in your area. In Florida they call them tags and not license plates.
I had a car shipped from Missouri and didn't have to have an inspection, but it's been some time ago and don't really remember the specifics other than going to the tag office and not the DMV.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:58 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,773,961 times
Inspection maybe something at your local police department - to make sure you are who you are and the car is the car.

Other than that I am not aware of any car inspections in Florida (there is no annual emissions inspection for example)

Old 08-11-2010, 10:28 PM

Thanks! I did call - and I will answer my own question in case someone else just moved here and is looking for help.

There are two types of tag offices, private and county. If you go to a private tag office, I can do everything there - order plates, etc. But I have to pay a convenience fee. If I go to the county office, I can save a little money, but I have to have a police office inspect my car/vin to verify everything - have it notarized and brought to the county office to order my plates.

Also - Where I'm from it was only $45 for "tags". It is costing me $450 here.

I guess I will make up the difference in no state income taxes - but everything is so very expensive - car insurance, jewelry insurance, renters insurance, electricity - nuts!!

Old 08-12-2010, 05:51 PM

469 posts, read 1,094,753 times
Are you sure about the $450. There is a one time $225 registration fee if you are coming from out of state but the yearly fee is only $46. If you want a specialty plate, it will cost you a little more.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:05 PM

I'm doing it this weekend - I'll report back if is isn't $450. I know the one time fee really hikes up the price - but there are a couple other one time fees

Old 08-13-2010, 10:56 PM

12 posts, read 54,199 times
All the fees pretty well double a few months ago ither than the one time
fee.
Car is now 86.40 I think.

Here is the DMV link with the FAQ answers.
Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Old 08-15-2010, 09:56 PM

Just to bring this back full circle....... I officially have Florida plates - it cost $483 for the record. Apparently only people moving to Florida ever would have to pay all the additional fees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area