U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 16,354 times

Advertisements

Is Pompano Beach just like every other east coast Florida town, with US-1 being the divider; everything west of the highway is low rent, high crime and everything east is retirees and snowbirds? What is the 'feel' of Pompano? Does it have that 'neon light sleaze' - bars, liquor stores, gun stores, strip clubs, and XXX shops that characterize so many other parts of the US-1 corridor in SE Florida? I quite like the libertarian virtues of places like US-1 throughout South Florida, and I would welcome the diversity in nature of the businesses that line that corridor.

-Is the city experiencing negative demographic trends like its larger neighbors to the South? (ie 3rd world over immigration, a fleeing middle class)

-Are public schools any good or are they penitentiaries for tomorrows gang bangers? Are there any good private schools nearby?

-Are there any new trends affecting Pompano Beach's waterfront areas? (spikes/drops in RE values, increases in crime, poor government management, higher taxes, etc. )

Thank you all in advance~

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Attachments/ViewImage.aspx?FileGuid=88024A2B-4104-4DD2-8235-AFB6B684A89F&Extension=jpg&Width=0&Height=0 (broken link)

Last edited by hatteras55; 08-14-2010 at 10:09 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 09:21 AM

3,911 posts, read 9,021,076 times
There is already another thread about Pompano Beach, but it is about 10 pages long.

1. Is it like every other South FL suburb? No. I think every suburb is slightly different. How is it different? I really cannot explain in words. You'd have to go there. Generally, Pompano is an older suburb and is laid back compared to Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood. The beach area consists of many high-rise condos. There are some tall condos on the mainland east of US1, but mostly single-family homes once you get away from the water.

2. Is Pompano safe? YES. Most of Pompano is safe and tourist/pedestrian friendly. The "divider" is Dixie Highway, not US1. Anything east of Dixie Highway is safe and nice. In fact, the US1 corridor in Pompano Beach is the nicest part of US1 in Broward County. Lots of middle-high end retail shopping. West of Dixie Highway there is a rough area around I-95. Just as long as you don't veer off Atlantic Blvd in that section you'll be fine. There is a certain group of people in this message board that haven't been to Pompano Beach who think it is Compton or something. That rough area I mentioned produces a good amount of crime and arrests, so I guess they see Pompano is the newspaper a lot under the crime section.

3. Does it have neon light sleeze? Some but not much. Most of that is in the rough areas west of Dixie Highway. East of Dixie, you have your share of liquor stores along US1. But in general, the US1 area is predominantly middle-class, whites, some Hispanics, and some blacks. You see very little riff-raff along US1 or in the eastern sections. Same cannot be said for Hollywood, Dania Beach, or Fort Lauderdale where bums litter the streets.

4. Is Pompano Beach experiencing "negative demographic trends"- Not really. As I said before, I find Pompano to be predominantly white, middle-class. Also, there are lots of tourists and snowbirds who reside and vacation in Pompano. I always see rental cars driving around, especially during the winter months. The 3rd world crowd, there might be some of that. But its barely noticeable. That said, they will make their way up eventually. With the large influx of immigrants from South America to Miami, lots of them have made their way up to South Broward. I haven't seen the large influx in North Broward yet.

5. Other factors- The schools are not highly thought of, but aren't terrible from what I hear. I don't have first hand experience since I don't have children and never went to school here.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:36 PM

233 posts, read 506,255 times
Are there any new trends affecting Pompano Beach's waterfront areas?

Like most areas of South Florida prices have gone down and Pompano tends to be cheaper than waterfront areas of Fort Lauderdale or Boca. In my area there's been a noticeable trend of houses built in the 60s being torn down and new little mcmansions being built. I would say that the area of Pompano from East of Dixie from Atlantic to McNab is a good place to buy a home. Housing prices for waterfront homes are going to eventually go back up because there is a limited supply and people who come here to retire or live the Florida lifestlye want to live on the water. People generalize Pompano because its rough areas can easily be seen along MLK and even Atlantic while its nice areas are tucked back. Pompano High is a top school in the state while Ely is a horrible school. Most kids go private or now to Pompano High. The issue with Pompano is unlike Boca or Lauderdale it hasn't invested in its beach front area/promenade or Atlantic Blvd but that will change within the next year. Its bad areas are pretty bad but same can be said for areas of Lauderdale, Hollywood, Deerfield, basically any city along the coast of south florida save for Boca. The dividing line in Pompano is Dixie highway.

Here's a picture of the part of the area east of Dixie between Atlantic and McNab Road.

http://extimages2.living.net/ImagesHomeProd4/FL/idx/photos/fortlaud/79/F1073893.jpg (broken link)

Typical view from a backyard in the neighborhood I live in west of Federal in Pompano.

http://bobkatproperties.com/Quicksta...eLib/canal.jpg

And a cheesy youtube video of the beach

YouTube - Pompano Beach - a great place to visit

Old 08-20-2010, 10:33 AM

351 posts, read 1,081,278 times
For the boaters, it's amazing the deals you can find for affordable ocean access waterfront there these days, in Garden Isles and Cypress Isles. We're not sold on staying here long term, but if we were, we'd be on it. That area is great for ocean access because you are close to the inlet and don't have to contend with as many yahoo's and tourist boaters as you do in the areas off the New River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area