Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:11 AM

469 posts, read 1,328,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Yes, I know there is no real fall here but, I was wondering if there is anything like apple picking and/or pumpkin picking here for the kids to do. You know with hay rides and the little crappy haunted houses for them.

I used to do those things with my boys in NY and wonder what is like that here. I have to admit I am missing cleaning up the yellow and orange leaves and watching them jump into them.

Do kids here go trick or treating? My kids weren't really old enough to go trick or treating by themselves but I don't know that I would let them anyway. Do they do Halloween Parties or something like that for them? Is it a dangerous time? Do kids get beat up or things like that?
Picking apples, eating apple donuts, drinking cider, jumping in piles of leaves, carving pumpkins, fall festivals, hot chocolate in the evenings, thanks Chelz! Now I am REALLLLY homesick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 AM

141 posts, read 405,472 times
You guys forgot the smell of burning leaves..................... It was against the law but someone always managed to drop a lit match in the area.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:25 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namomof3 View Post
Picking apples, eating apple donuts, drinking cider, jumping in piles of leaves, carving pumpkins, fall festivals, hot chocolate in the evenings, thanks Chelz! Now I am REALLLLY homesick
This is one of my biggest complaints about So. Fla, there is no seasonal change at all to speak of, sure it gets colder in Winter but there is no real Fall or Spring. I grew up, first 20yrs, in Plantation, by the little Plantation Library, and Halloween was always alot of fun as everyone went trick-or-treating. Now it seems even that has changed in many areas. Kids seem to go to the Mall instead. I'd look in Davie maybe for pumpkin patch ideas. Btw, this will be my last Fla. Fall and Winter as I'm moving to MI's Upper Peninsula. Wish me luck 'cause I think I'm gonna be freezing, lol!

Old 08-25-2010, 06:23 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Chelsa, I know an awesome place to go trick or treating on Halloween. When the time comes, come over with your kids. There is a community 1 minute of driving time from my house called Hampton Lakes. It's on the border of Weston and Sunrise. This community goes CRAZY for this holiday. They decorate their houses, all of the residents are very prepared for the kids and they have at least 2 haunted houses there. My son had a blast there last year and we are planning to do the same this year.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:43 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
Hey Chels - our daytime highs are now in the 70's and nightime in the 50's - Nice! It drops fast though - last year our first snowfall was on October 12th! The same day we went to the apple orchards and pumpkin patch and corn maze. It was melted by the next day though

Looking forward to the crisp fall temps!

Old 08-28-2010, 09:47 PM

157 posts, read 601,063 times
when my son was little almost every Church would lay pumpkins all over the front lawn so people could pretend they were picking them...we had fun finding the perfect one every year!
And if you check your City's web site they normally post any haunted houses or hay rides in the area, some even organized by the city.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:11 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times
I just read all of these messages and I feel like crying - I should have moved to VA - or DC - I really am missing fall right now - I'm so sad I'm not pulling out my turtlenecks to wear right now.

Max's Mama - I am taking you up on that offer - I am going to need your number again!

Old 08-30-2010, 06:48 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I just read all of these messages and I feel like crying - I should have moved to VA - or DC - I really am missing fall right now - I'm so sad I'm not pulling out my turtlenecks to wear right now.

Max's Mama - I am taking you up on that offer - I am going to need your number again!
lol, well if it makes you feel any better Im going to Rochester tomorrow where it's expected to be in the 90's the whole time we're there! It's still summer everywhere! You're not allowed to get depressed until October - at which time, I'll be happy to join you...

Old 08-31-2010, 07:48 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
lol, well if it makes you feel any better Im going to Rochester tomorrow where it's expected to be in the 90's the whole time we're there! It's still summer everywhere! You're not allowed to get depressed until October - at which time, I'll be happy to join you...
Ha - ha - you are very funny - Okay - let us wait until October LOL! This is the time of year where we call it an Indian Summer LOL.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:14 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
Considering I miss nothing but family from NYC and the Winters blah they can keep them Sorry Chels you know how I feel about the cold I HATE IT LOL!! But I know u miss it I love my flip flops in November..and my kids swim all year round with their swim club although we were freezing here this winter by the pool...LOL...freezing in Florida thats funny...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area