Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 03:27 PM

153 posts, read 248,916 times

Advertisements

Outside of the fires, mudslides, 24/7 gridlock, race riots and nearly dying in an earthquake, it was near paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 09:23 PM

8 posts, read 11,606 times
Red face a native new yorker now in broward- some warnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJdogg View Post
I'm a native northerner currently "in between" homes, and considering moving to Broward County (primarily for the warm winters). However I'm drawn to NYC / Northern NJ where I lived for 5+ years and had the best time of my life. I love NYC and the small towns of Northern NJ, which I know can't be replicated in South Florida. We have a 4-year old child and my main considerations are (1) the best environment to raise and educate my child and (2) cost of living. I am self employed and work out of my home, so the local job market is not a relevant factor for me. Are there any former New Yorkers/New Jerseyites out there living in Broward who can share their experiences, positive or negative? Thanks.
I grew up in nyc and lived there most of my life. I also know NJ. I will honestly tell you , ( I am a teacher in a private language school) that so fla is not and I repeat not a good place to rasie a child. The public schools are the 3rd worst in america- violence is a daily occurence- the teachers are mediocre there. The private schools do not compare with those that are up north. The cost of living is lower than manhattan but about comparable to NJ. However , food in the supermarkets can be higher than ny/nj simp;y because nothing comes from here except oranges.. The driving is hazardous and the people are rude and always trying to outdo you in wealth and appearance. If i had a very young child I can honestly say I would never move here. When My condo goes up- I'm on the next plane out- Good luck

Old 11-07-2010, 04:06 PM

1,640 posts, read 1,645,551 times
Diversity in Broward county specifically in Fort Lauderdale? please, give me a break...!
In my opinion there is no diversity at all in Fort Lauderdale. The population there is majorly white and very rednecky and afroamericans in the neighborhoods by the tracks. If there is a true european or southamerican , usually they are not very fitable and accepted into the anglowhiteamericans circles at all in Fort Lauderdale. Of course that there are exceptions buy is not the average. Real diversity is found in Miami dade County although many anglo whites in Broward critizice a lot the life style in Miami. There is more culture and art and elegance amongst many people of Miami than in Fort Lauderdale.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:54 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
Angel>

Is that a joke? Broward County is much more diverse than Dade. Dade is about 70% Hispanic and 20% black. 10% everything else. I lived in Miami in the past and can tell you from first hand experience. The Latin culture dominated that city, and all of Dade County for that matter.

Broward County has more balance between races. Its about 40% white, 25% Hispanic, 25% Black. The only real diversity in Dade County is amongst Hispanic groups. Like Cubans, Venezuelans, Colombians, etc. Whites in Dade Couny are almost exclusively limited to Miami Beach, Brickell, and some parts of Pinecrest.

As a whole, South FL is not nearly as diverse as NYC or even L.A. Those cities have large groups from all countries of the world. South FL is limited mainly to whites, blacks, and hispanics. No other groups are really existent.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:24 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
South Florida (specifically Broward) was not a great fit for this NJ family. Although my husband and I liked the weather, and loved our house, my kids just never adjusted there. Schools are huge, and although we were in Weston where schools are supposed to be better than the norm, they were NOT as good as what we left behind in the Northeast. My kids were heavily involved in sports, but roller hockey and football in the heat aren't as much fun as they are in the fall chill.

We lasted three years...

Old 01-02-2011, 08:49 AM

7 posts, read 21,961 times
Default private school opinion please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoegal1075 View Post
I will Mister - I ain't moving back now after all of this!
So been reading a few of your posts between this thread and another and would like to know our opinion on the best private schools. Pine Crest vs Beacon Hill, North Broward prep, American Heritage etc...looking at relocating to Broward county from NJ in 2011. Also, if private school is a given, where is a good place to live? Hollywood, Coral Springs, Coconut Creek, Weston, Plantation?? Thanks for your opinion

Old 01-09-2011, 09:25 PM

143 posts, read 416,056 times
IMO consider moving to an area with a good elementary school choices, for which there are many options (Weston, Parkland, Boca Raton, Cooper City, Plantation, Davie, Coral Springs all have pretty good options). Then you can get a feel for things and move to private school and you have time decide. Of the ones you mention I have heard good things about North Broward Prep and American Heritage. Not on your list but also good (supposedly) is St. Andrews. In Parkland a lot of families go to Mary Help of Christian (a smaller Catholic school) that has now been expanded to 8th grade.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:31 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Saint Andrews is Excellent..We know kids that attend that school...Our son also Club swims for them and club swims with the Kids from the School and they are all very happy and so are the parents Ive spoken with...If your going to look into Heritage Id check out Pine Crest as they are one of the Best as well...I agree with dede you cant go wrong with anyone town she mentioned although I would check out Coral Springs it can go either way..

Old 05-26-2011, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 948 times
Default moving to Broward County

I have been trying to follow posts from people who are moving/have moved to Broward County. By now, some of you have had a chance to settle in. We were looking at Plantation, Hollywood, Davie, and Pembroke Pines. After living in Broward County, how do you now feel about these areas? We are SO confused!!

Old 05-27-2011, 08:01 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Angel>

Is that a joke? Broward County is much more diverse than Dade. Dade is about 70% Hispanic and 20% black. 10% everything else. I lived in Miami in the past and can tell you from first hand experience. The Latin culture dominated that city, and all of Dade County for that matter.

Broward County has more balance between races. Its about 40% white, 25% Hispanic, 25% Black. The only real diversity in Dade County is amongst Hispanic groups. Like Cubans, Venezuelans, Colombians, etc. Whites in Dade Couny are almost exclusively limited to Miami Beach, Brickell, and some parts of Pinecrest.

As a whole, South FL is not nearly as diverse as NYC or even L.A. Those cities have large groups from all countries of the world. South FL is limited mainly to whites, blacks, and hispanics. No other groups are really existent.
Great post. I repped you on it. I'm expecting someone named ANGEL CALZADILLA (A Miami Real Estate Agent) to praise Miami.

It's good for business. ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area