Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 06:47 AM

15 posts, read 73,859 times

Advertisements

We are trying to find a community w good elementary school and relatively safe neighborhood.

I will be commuting to downtown Miami; Coral Way.

Any thoughts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 07:45 AM

184 posts, read 609,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelyDiligent View Post
We are trying to find a community w good elementary school and relatively safe neighborhood.

I will be commuting to downtown Miami; Coral Way.

Any thoughts ?
Stay west of I-75 and north of the Dade / Broward line and you will be ok . Pembroke Pines and Miramar offer nice , new neighborhoods with parks and shopping although 50% of the people speak Spanish . Unlike in Miami the Hispanics seem friendlier and are mostly professionals .... anyhow knowing at least some Spanish will make your life easier .... sad to have to say that huh ?

Your commute to Coral Way will be at least one hour in the mornings .... if not slightly more .

Old 06-10-2007, 08:19 AM

15 posts, read 73,859 times
Thks for the input.

Another q for anyone; going North to Ft. Laudedale; communting time ?

Old 06-12-2007, 09:09 AM

563 posts, read 2,766,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek1 View Post
Stay west of I-75 and north of the Dade / Broward line and you will be ok . Pembroke Pines and Miramar offer nice , new neighborhoods with parks and shopping although 50% of the people speak Spanish . Unlike in Miami the Hispanics seem friendlier and are mostly professionals .... anyhow knowing at least some Spanish will make your life easier .... sad to have to say that huh ?

Your commute to Coral Way will be at least one hour in the mornings .... if not slightly more .
If you end up in Pembroke Pines, as long as you live from Central Pembroke Pines (near the mall) area westward, you should be fine.

That area has some great schools. Check out greatschools.net and do a search on Pembroke Pines schools. You should be able to see the ratings, school grades, and parent comments if available.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:27 AM

9,295 posts, read 14,183,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelyDiligent View Post
Thks for the input.

Another q for anyone; going north to Ft. Lauderdale; commuting time ?
They say I-595, the only serious east-west thoroughfare in the thick of southeast Florida, is like a parking lot at rush hour.

Does that answer your question?

Old 06-12-2007, 09:38 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,367,576 times
In Broward it is the only real east/west expressway. Yes I hear it is a parking lot at certain hours of the day.

I bet the commute time from downtown to Pembroke Pines is at least an hour if not an hour half during rush hour. Oh do I feel for those people that have to be on the I-95 or 595 during rush hour.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:07 PM

142 posts, read 606,488 times
Most of the elementary schools are fine. Middle and High Schools are the problem. U may want to consider private school. Florida schools rank terribly compared to other states and south florida schools are some of the worst in the state and are extrememly overcrowded.

Commute into Ft Laud from Pines/Miramar during rush hour is a mess. If its not rush hour your looking at 20-30 min from Pines Blvd and I75. During rush hour, at least an hour.

Also, if your not from a spanish speaking country your in for a bit of a culture shock. Bienvenido a Miami!!

Old 06-12-2007, 04:41 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,652,132 times
595 is packed but not as bad as 95 out of downtown Miami, or the turnpike near the okeechobee exit during rushhour. 75 is usually the lightest

Old 06-13-2007, 10:41 AM

68 posts, read 293,972 times
Default to go south or north miramar/pemproke pines is great

i lived in miramar for 5yrs.

besides i595, there is a turnpike extension on Miramar parkway and Redroad.

It will take you North or South. Stay away from I595 because you will be stuck in major traffic.

PM me if you want specifics on schools and area. I was a teacher in the area and now i am on my way to NC.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,834 times
I have lived in Miramar- and people aren't that nice. Yes, they may professionals (some) but not friendly. Certainly not what you would expect. Additionally, the government is useless... but I guess that's true in many places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area